Question for Bryan

If the only thing that separates finasteride from dutasteride is the fact that dutasteride blocks type II in addition to type I, then would it be safe to assume that going from dutasteride to finasteride, one will not lose much of the hair gained from dutasteride? Or lose the hair that was retained by dut?

Mj, with the success and regrowth you have had, are you thinking of coming off dut??

Pats, I’m only afraid that I’ve jumped to the strongest drug without taking its predicesors (finasteride) first. If one is taking finasteride for example for about 8 years, and they realize the the drug’s effect is begining to wear off, they can upgrade to dutasteride and hold for another 8-10 years.

However, if one like myself is taking dutasteride for 8 years and begin to notice the effects tapering off, what drug can we turn to then?

So if one can maintain dut’s results with fin then I’ll stick with dut and have the option to go on fin anytime in the future whether it be because of SE reasons or drug wearing off. But if fin cannot hold the results of dut, then yes, I may likely get off dut and get on fin. I rather have a slightly thinning look for 20 years rather than a complete coverage look for 10 years and bald thereafter.

» Mj, with the success and regrowth you have had, are you thinking of coming
» off dut??

»
» However, if one like myself is taking dutasteride for 8 years and begin to
» notice the effects tapering off, what drug can we turn to then?

That is very true, as you know I had grafts placed in between my existing hairs with Dr. Armani. I have been on proscar to keep my existing hair for 3.5 years. It has worked very very well, I never shed a hair anymore. I do consider Dut my ace in the hole if proscar stops working once I hit the 6-7 year mark on Proscar.

BUT, you have experienced some regrowth with Dut, I would consider yourself lucky, in my experience few experience any signifigant regrowth fromn these meds. So I am not sure I would mess with my regimine with the success you have had.

» »
» » However, if one like myself is taking dutasteride for 8 years and begin
» to
» » notice the effects tapering off, what drug can we turn to then?
»
» That is very true, as you know I had grafts placed in between my existing
» hairs with Dr. Armani. I have been on proscar to keep my existing hair for
» 3.5 years. It has worked very very well, I never shed a hair anymore. I do
» consider Dut my ace in the hole if proscar stops working once I hit the 6-7
» year mark on Proscar.
»
» BUT, you have experienced some regrowth with Dut, I would consider
» yourself lucky, in my experience few experience any signifigant regrowth
» fromn these meds. So I am not sure I would mess with my regimine with the
» success you have had.

I agree with you on everything and I know I am fortunate. But the question is “Will fin be able to hold dut’s success on one’s scalp”?

» If the only thing that separates finasteride from dutasteride is the fact
» that dutasteride blocks type II in addition to type I, then would it be
» safe to assume that going from dutasteride to finasteride, one will not
» lose much of the hair gained from dutasteride? Or lose the hair that was
» retained by dut?

I’m going to assume that you meant to say the opposite of that, which is that dutasteride blocks type I in addition to type II.

But to answer your question, all we really have to go on (other than user anecdotes) are the published haircounts in Glaxo’s trial of dutasteride and finasteride. If I remember correctly, the standard Avodart dosage produced haircounts that were about 22% better than those from Proscar. Therefore, I would assume that switching from dutasteride to finasteride would produce a net average loss of hair, but it wouldn’t make a huge difference.

must agree with Bryan here, both drugs do almost the same thing and Finasteride is supposed to keep the current hair at it’s place, so I don’t see why you should lose the your gains from Dut