Question about DHT

At the risk of being attacked for asking a “stupid question” could it be that only some people experiencing MPB are sensitive to DHT? That would explain why only a select group of people actually see regrowth on propecia. I’ve been on propecia for 17 months now and I don’t know if it’s actually doing anything at all. Why do some people regrow a lot of hair or maintain their hair and why do some not react at all? Could that explain that only a certain percent of people dealing with MPB are losing hair due to DHT?

Allright guys, ATTACK HIM!!!

its a good question but without a doubt DHT is the primary factor in MPB.

i also think age has a lot to do with how much hair you get back on propecia or avodart.

if you’ve only just begun balding, its more likely that you will see regrowth than if you’ve been balding for > 30 months.

that being said, propecia is supposed to help you KEEP THE HAIR YOU HAVE, not necessarily regrow hair. Most people have a very difficult time understanding that its far easier to keep hair you have than resurrecting the dead follicles. So they will immediately say after 9 months that propecia ‘does not work’ without understanding that hair loss is progressive and anything that puts a PAUSE on it is a miracle drug.

It highlights why people should start on propecia the moment they notice they are losing hair and not a day later.

However even the 10 yr graph for propecia shows that it too is unable to 100% stop MPB. It does however greatly slows it down for most people.

Avodart is better than propecia since it inhibits the A5R type I isoenzyme which is far more prevalent in scalp tissue which propecia does not do.

» Allright guys, ATTACK HIM!!!
»
» its a good question but without a doubt DHT is the primary factor in MPB.
»
»
» i also think age has a lot to do with how much hair you get back on
» propecia or avodart.
»
» if you’ve only just begun balding, its more likely that you will see
» regrowth than if you’ve been balding for > 30 months.
»
» that being said, propecia is supposed to help you KEEP THE HAIR YOU HAVE,
» not necessarily regrow hair. Most people have a very difficult time
» understanding that its far easier to keep hair you have than resurrecting
» the dead follicles. So they will immediately say after 9 months that
» propecia ‘does not work’ without understanding that hair loss is
» progressive and anything that puts a PAUSE on it is a miracle drug.
»
»
» It highlights why people should start on propecia the moment they notice
» they are losing hair and not a day later.
»
» However even the 10 yr graph for propecia shows that it too is unable to
» 100% stop MPB. It does however greatly slows it down for most people.
»
» Avodart is better than propecia since it inhibits the A5R type I isoenzyme
» which is far more prevalent in scalp tissue which propecia does not do.

I kind of question how much DHT plays a role in MPB but after all the studies done on propecia and avodart it is hard to say that they don’t work, but I don’t have a ton of faith in them. I started taking Dutasteride maybe a year after I noticed the VERY beginning of MPB, and only a couple of months after any significant amount of hair fall at all, and to be honest I noticed it slow down my hair loss a little, but not as much as I had hoped. I figured since I am still only 24, in good health, and caught it early that I would be able to preserve much of what I had but my hairline has still continued to recede. It’s only been about 5-6 months though so hopefully it’s still kicking in. But as of right now, it’s really the only thing we have…