PSA: Use of Concealers And Possible Complications

On our recent trip to Rome Dr. Hasson met with a patient that had a procedure in Europe. As many patients do he used concealer on a regular basis to add fullness to his result.

The patient arrived in search of repair solutions and stated, as well as showed, that the growth rate was quite poor. While looking through his scalp we noticed many dark spots that resembled “blackheads”. These areas turned out to be concentrations of concealer that had clogged the pores of the scalp and resulted in a persistent low-grade infection. This ocurred even though the patient stated that he washed his hair daily. It is believed that this stunted the growth of the grafts thus resulting in a poor result. This is not the first time we’ve seen this issue and while the evidence is still anectdotal it further reinforeces our view that concealer should not be used after a procedure. Note that when I mention “concealer” I am referring to make up style applications, not sprinkle applications such as Toppik.

The video below shows some of these dark areas of congested concealer being forced out of the skin. I recommend that if you have a good connection you should expand the video to full screen in at least 720p to see all the detail. Please forgive the focusing issues, I was getting used to my new camera.

VIDEO: Use of Concealers And Possible Complications

To watch the video in this post, click PLAY button in the media player below.
img/uploaded_files/1_file93.flv

with the kind of unfocused camera work going on, i thought i was watching a ufo video. i.e. the creation of a crop circle.

just kidding.

damn that’s going to put me off using toppick for good. never realised this stuff can plug up pores but now it would appear logical that it enters the pore and expands inside like insulating foam.

God has cursed the bald man. Every attempt the bald man makes to look half-way normal is taken away from him.

yikes, thanks so much for posting that.

I have a pore that filled up with toppik and resembled a mole or freckle.

I was actually going for a consultation and the doctor (who supplied the stuff originally) noticed it and removed it with a comb.

Now it’s a permanent crater that I have to squeeze once in a while - gross !

Obviously a hair is never going to grow there again.

@ Jotronic - can this be easily be fixed while having a transplant (if I ever do) or should I have it stitched or removed separately ?

» I have a pore that filled up with toppik and resembled a mole or
» freckle.
»
» I was actually going for a consultation and the doctor (who supplied the
» stuff originally) noticed it and removed it with a comb.
»
» Now it’s a permanent crater that I have to squeeze once in a while - gross
» !
»
» Obviously a hair is never going to grow there again.
»
» @ Jotronic - can this be easily be fixed while having a transplant (if I
» ever do) or should I have it stitched or removed separately ?

I doubt toppik would fill a pore unless it something was irregular before hand, and in his post he says not concealers like toppik but I guess he’s more referring to the ones you paint on the scalp. Sebum from the follicle moves from the inside out and keeps things out of your pores especially something like that but I suppose anything could happen. I think toppik and nanogen are very good options for concealers, never used dermmatch but I guess that is what he is advocating against because it clogs pores but he also is referring to AFTER a procedure has been done.

» I doubt toppik would fill a pore unless it something was irregular before
» hand

Gee, I wonder what could be irregular on my scalp ? :clap:

That’s pretty scary, is there a concealer that is safe to use and doesn’t clog the follices?

» » I doubt toppik would fill a pore unless it something was irregular
» before
» » hand
»
»
» Gee, I wonder what could be irregular on my scalp ? :clap:

This thread refers to people after transplants, not in general and does not refer to toppik like concealers. So what exactly is irregular? Not catching your drift.

Clearly you think my post is off topic so I’m happy to agree to disagree on that point.

» That’s pretty scary, is there a concealer that is safe to use and doesn’t
» clog the follices?

Jotronic said he was referring to make up style concealers that you paint onto your scalp, not sprinkle applications such as Toppik, so I suppose Toppik is relatively safer to use.

What does PSA stand for?

» What does PSA stand for?

Public Service Announcement or Public Safety Announcement.

» » That’s pretty scary, is there a concealer that is safe to use and
» doesn’t
» » clog the follices?
»
» Jotronic said he was referring to make up style concealers that you paint
» onto your scalp, not sprinkle applications such as Toppik, so I suppose
» Toppik is relatively safer to use.

I guess we wouldn’t know unless the same examination is done for toppik too, right now we are assuming that toppik doesn’t cause the same problme.