Propecia or finasteride causes severe dry eye?

Has anyone experience severe dry eye after using Propecia?

I have been on Propecia for about 5 years, lately my eyes are getting extremely dry, it’s like they are ready to pop out any second, I couldn’t figure out what causes my eyes to be like that.

Anyone has similar experiences?

This was posted a while back from another forum member:

"Warnings about systemic 5 Alpha Reductase Inhibitors.

I’m 36 years old and have been taking finasteride (varying doses) and minoxidil to treat my diffuse hairloss for about 5 years. I regrew some hair and have managed to keep it status quo, up to this date. I’m writing my story to make others aware of what systemic 5-ar inhibitors may do to their long term health. The recent release of a more potent DHT inhibitor, dutasteride, has me even more concerned.

A little over 3 years after starting finasteride my eyes became quite dry and very red. I’ve seen a number of ophthalmologists regarding my dry eye condition and had to have punctal plugs inserted into the 4 drainage ducts (located at the inside corner of the eye) to conserve my tears. About 5 months ago I reduced my finasteride dose to 0.5 mg/day from 2.5 mg/day with no improvement obtained.

Research I have done clearly shows both the lacrimal (aqueous tear producing) and meibomian (produce oil) glands in the eye are under androgen control. The research shows testosterone stimulates, and estrogens suppress, their secretions. I had some blood work done and it showed high testosterone levels; estrogen levels were on the high end of normal. I read a study which shows finasteride and other anti-androgens can cause dry eye syndrome (meibomian gland dysfunction). Since my testosterone levels are high and I’m sure my DHT levels low (from finasteride use), it seems plausible that DHT has a direct effect on the secretions. Based on this and emails I have received from other dry eye (male) sufferers, I believe finasteride has caused this condition.

I also went to see a rheumatologist (responsible for managing auto-immune diseases) and had additional blood work done to see if I had Lupus, Sjogrens (auto-immune disease affecting the moisture producing cells of the eyes, mouth, throat, etc.), or some other auto-immune disease. My ANA, RF, SS-A, SS-B, and all other blood auto-immune markers came back negative. Unfortunately, these tests are usually not conclusive one way or another. Recently, my mouth has become drier and I’m getting concerned that I may indeed have Sjogrens.

Please note that auto-immune diseases affect women far more often than men. Also, research shows androgens may be an effective treatment for these diseases, which leads me to believe that many of these conditions could result from androgen deficiency.

We all have to make decisions in life and I decided to use finasteride to save/regrow my hair. Unfortunately, no one told me the use of this drug could have an adverse affect on my health. I’m not saying this will happen to everyone who takes 5-ar inhibitors (it hasn’t to the majority of users to the best of my knowledge), but it has happened to me and others. Please be careful.

Best wishes to all!
Rocketman"

http://www.hairsite2.com/library/article263.htm

the awkward part for me here is that it is said that usually Propecia’s side effects show up before even the results, but also we still ain’t sure what side effects it may show after a prolonged usage. taking it for almost an year, and I kinda don’t have any more problems with it, my body got used pretty fast, but would be nice to see here some feedback from those that used it for 4 to 5 years, maybe even more.
oh…and did you try consulting a doctor? maybe it’s indeed smth else?

Clinical practitioners focus mainly on the health of individuals, while public health practitioners consider the overall health of communities and populations. Hair loss causes a vast number of health problems lear more about hair loss What are causes of hair loss?

Improving and maintaining health factors traditionally with Natural supplements from physicianNatural.

Physician Naturals Turmeric Curucmin is one of the most powerful antioxidants and anti inflamatories. It works at the cellular level and prevents the formation of free radicals which are the building blocks for cancer and a host of other issues. From Alzheimer’s to Arthritis to Cancer Curcumin Turmeric is one of the most researched natural products.

SimplyPure Premium Super Supplements from Physician Naturals contain highest quality organic ingredients and manufactured with advanced formulations products like Curcumin Turmeric Extract, Trans Resveratrol Supplements, Acai colon Cleanse, Acai Berry Weight Loss, Red Yeast Rice, Coenzyme CoQ10, OMEGA 3, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12, Milk Thistle, Flax seed Oil have guaranteed highest potency and purity backed by unconditional quality guarantee.

PhysicianNaturals.com