Proof that Propecia becomes less effective after 5 years

someone posted this on the hair transplant board, this chart is very revealing, this is solid proof that propecia’s effects diminish over time, in 5 years, the hair count went from +100 to +38, a whopping 60% decrease from the peak !!!

The really big thing to keep in mind here is that the difference in haircounts between Propecia users and placebo users continues to INCREASE over the years, not DECREASE!!

Hey Bryan,

I assume you are Bryan Shelton. You are the guy 7 years ago convinced me to get on Propecia with that graph!! I was both depressed and suicidal at not being able to stop my hair loss prior to that. Seeing that graph was the magic moment for me. I realised I could keep most of my hair and didn’t have to go bald.

I remember you saying the slight decline in the propecia line might perhaps be ‘the natural rate of hair loss’. I vaguely remember the number 2% per year as well being the natural rate of hair loss which you mentioned (i think).

Its come full circle. Now I’m the one preaching the gosple of Propecia and giving people hope.

Only thing I never understood was your love for Revivogen which I consider pure 100% unadulterated snake oil but I don’t want to spoil this trip down memory lane with that.

Thank you for saving me!

» Only thing I never understood was your love for Revivogen which I consider
» pure 100% unadulterated snake oil but I don’t want to spoil this trip down
» memory lane with that.
»
» Thank you for saving me!

It was not revivogen, it was Dr. Proctors S.O.D mix / copper peptides. Revivogen is a mix of 5-AR inhibitors.

The chart tells the tale. Fin will probably not stop MPB from progressing in the long run but it will sure as hell make an impact. It’s not hard to imagine what that chart might look like after another 5 years.

BTW:

Look at the radical drop in hair counts for the group that started on Fin and then dropped it for a while. That fall looks much steeper than the plecebo-only group suffered at any time on the chart.

The Fin usage might still be a net gain for them but it really demonstrates the abrupt hit your hair takes if you quit the stuff.

»I think that even more important than any of this is that the error bars almost cetainly show the standard deviation. I would put money on it that they are not showing the range!!! In other words they almost certainly do not show non responders and they do exist, in my veiw!!

Some get lucky with Fin. I have seen testimonials from guys who have been on it for 10+ years and haven’t loss a hair. My buddy is coming up on 12 years and still has all his hair.

Some of us, however, probably have to amp things up a bit and add Dutasteride or perhaps a topical antiandrogen and hope for the best.

» Hey Bryan,
»
» I assume you are Bryan Shelton. You are the guy 7 years ago convinced me
» to get on Propecia with that graph!! I was both depressed and suicidal at
» not being able to stop my hair loss prior to that. Seeing that graph was
» the magic moment for me. I realised I could keep most of my hair and
» didn’t have to go bald.

Yes, I am that same Bryan Shelton, and I’m glad you’re doing well! :slight_smile:

» Only thing I never understood was your love for Revivogen which I consider
» pure 100% unadulterated snake oil but I don’t want to spoil this trip down
» memory lane with that.

I have no idea why you consider Revivogen to be “pure 100% unadulterated snake oil”. There’s some sound science proving topical fatty acids to be legitimate 5a-reductase inhibitors! The only question, of course, is whether the commercial product known as “Revivogen” is able to capitalize on that science effectively. I wish they would do some serious, independent testing of it.

» Thank you for saving me!

You’re quite welcome!

I’ve been on Propecia for over 12 years - it still effective; however, I have seen a bit of recession in the hair line.

I was reading this thread and it seems like all people on this thread are fond of propecia.
I used it for 8 or 10 months and i didn’t notice any results.
but I’m willing to try it again since circumstances changed.

my question is:

Where can i buy propecia from? I live in the states and it requires prescription and i don’t have health insurance, so no one can prescribe it for me.

the other question, is propecia and finesteride the same?
is finesteride just thegeneric name?
should i buy generic? i read an article that says many of the generic medicines have a wrong mixture than the original medicine, causing some health problems.

please let me know. I 'd appreciate any advise

finasteride is the active (medicinal) ingredient in Propecia. Propecia is a brand name.

Sort of like tea leaves are the active ingredient in tea but you can have tea marketted under the brand Lipton.

Propecia contains 1mg (1 milligram) of finasteride.

There is also another brand name pill called Proscar. It contains 5mg of finasteride. Some people cut proscar into 4 pieces using a pill cutter you can buy at a pharmacy and use that (1.25mg) as its cheaper than Propecia.

Finally there are generic versions of Propecia available made in India. They also contain finasteride. Finpecia contains 1mg finasteride which is what Propecia contains. Fincar (5mg) finasteride is the generic version of Proscar.

As you know, one major reason for male pattern hair loss is that your hair is sensitive to DHT. DHT is produced by an enzyme (a biological catalysts) called alpha-5-reductase that converts testosterone into DHT. There are actually 2 iso-enzymes of alpha-5-reductase called type I and type II.

Finasteride inhibits type II alpha-5-reductase which is found in blood. Avodart (Dutasteride) inhibits both type I and type II - hence it inhibits far more DHT than finasteride and for a far longer period of time. Type I alpha-5-reductase is found mostly in skin tissue.

Propecia has been approved for use by the FDA for male pattern hair loss. The company that makes Avodart however (GlaxoSmithKlein) has not sought its approval from the FDA so its not approved for mpb. However some phyisicans can prescribe it off label. But note, no studies have been conducted to see if having a child while on Avodart is safe - so if you are planning on having a child, stay clear of it. Propecia however is safe for child bearing however your pregnant partner must not even touch the drug as its not good for the male fetus.

The half life of Propecia and Avodart is vastly different. The half life of 1mg propecia is about 12 hours I think. The half life for Avodart is 5 months. This means you have to wait 10 months before Avodart is totally out of your system once you stop taking it. I’ll post a graph of 1mg, 5mg finasteride vs 0.5mg Avodart soon to show you how much DHT each inhibits.

There are lots of people hallucinating about all kinds of side effects on both drugs. In the case of propecia, impotence as a side effect is about 2% which is to say not statistically significant and roughly equivalent to placebo. However lots of lunatics are running around spreading nonsense on youtube and elsewhere so be careful.

Use of propecia with minoxidil 5% produces results greater than use of either one alone according to studies.

Propecia’s (and Avodart’s) effect increases hair count numbers but its bigger effect is in increasing hair shaft diameter which is what produces cosmetic coverage of the scalp in many cases.

You can visit medicalwellnesscenter.com and fill out the online doctor’s consultation form for Propecia. Ask if you can get Proscar prescribed to you instead and cut the pills into quarters as mentioned. His consultation fee is I think $40 dollars or $50. If approved, the doctor will fax your prescription to one of two pharmacies you select (either RXUSA or Murray’s Apothecary) and then you pay the pharmacy for the pills & shipping.

You have to understand what a successful results on propecia/avodart means before you get on it. Since MPB is progressive (you get balder every day), anything the puts a pause on it or SLOWS IT DOWN is considered a successful result. If you manage to regrow anything significant, its something RARE and cosider it a bonus. So if you KEPT MOST OF YOUR HAIR after 5 years on propecia, that is considered a success. If you are taking propecia expecting the hair fairy to give you tons of hair, you are dreaming.

Many people DO NOT UNDERSTAND this and quit propecia after 1 year claiming they did not get back all their hair and thus it must be useless. These are the folks headed for nw7.

In summary, its all about keeping the hair you have - as much of it as possible till a cure comes out for this miserable disease. Its a stepping stone to the promise land and hopefully not something we’ll have to take till the day we are put in a coffin.

Hope this is helpful to you. If you have any questions, just ask.

my god , I checked that online pharmacy rxusa. its pretty expensive
3 dollars per pill.

i think i saw somewhere that you r using avodart , if true , how much do u pay for it?

» my god , I checked that online pharmacy rxusa. its pretty expensive
» 3 dollars per pill.
»
» i think i saw somewhere that you r using avodart , if true , how much do u
» pay for it?

Yea that sounds about right. I pay about $350 for 3 months or something if i recall. I can look up the exact figure if you want.

As with Propecia, there is a generic made in India brand name of dutasteride called Dutas. But I prefer to use the real deal from GlaxoSmithKlein.

If you cannot afford Avodart, go with Proscar and cut it into quarters. Consult with the doctor I gave you the link to and ask him if he can give you a 6 month prescription for proscar which you will cut into quarters. Get a pill cutter (pill splitter) from a pharmacy (about $2 or $3).

Go with finasteride first and stay on it for at least 1.5 years before making a judgement. Take pictures of your scalp every month under the same lighting conditions, camera and distance to keep track of if you’re hanging onto your hair.

They don’t show 1mg of finasteride on this graph but you can infer. Dutasteride (which comes in 0.5mg gelcaps) inhibits more DHT than even 5mg finasteride and it results in more hair counts (y axis).

This link compares finasteride to dustasteride :

http://www.anagen.net/glaxo7.htm

if you really can’t afford it, perhaps get Dutasteride and use it every other day. Should be reasonably effective as well, more so than Propecia even if taken every other day.

Take it every day for the first 15 to 30 days however and then do it every other day.

I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Propecia) - http://www.canadian-pharmacy-24h.com I received the order and it was on time and the pills work great.

» The really big thing to keep in mind here is that the difference in
» haircounts between Propecia users and placebo users continues to INCREASE
» over the years, not DECREASE!!

you’re misreading the graph… the axis on the left show INCREASE IN PERCENTAGE in hair count from the baseline.
Subjects actually start LOSING hair after the first year with Propecia…

» » The really big thing to keep in mind here is that the difference in
» » haircounts between Propecia users and placebo users continues to
» INCREASE
» » over the years, not DECREASE!!
»
» you’re misreading the graph… the axis on the left show INCREASE IN
» PERCENTAGE in hair count from the baseline.
» Subjects actually start LOSING hair after the first year with Propecia…

He’s talking about the gap between propecia/placebo. The gap between them gets bigger. So even if you’re not benefiting much from fin, you will be much balder without it. (I found this out the hard way)

» » » The really big thing to keep in mind here is that the difference in
» » » haircounts between Propecia users and placebo users continues to
» » INCREASE
» » » over the years, not DECREASE!!
» »
» » you’re misreading the graph… the axis on the left show INCREASE IN
» » PERCENTAGE in hair count from the baseline.
» » Subjects actually start LOSING hair after the first year with
» Propecia…
»
» He’s talking about the gap between propecia/placebo. The gap between them
» gets bigger. So even if you’re not benefiting much from fin, you will be
» much balder without it. (I found this out the hard way)

You’re exactly right, “KO”! I don’t know the poster “2020” was unable to understand what I said before! What I said was exactly correct! :slight_smile: