Post op products. Do they work? Hairtech

I need real input here from patients, doctors, clinicians, and the “Larrys” out there. Here is a portion of the original post: I think this is probably one of the most debated subjects that we need to discuss.

"Does anyone have any hard data of the post-op shampoos, sprays, gels, etc.? I mean in terms of comparing them, the different healing times that the products are providing? Any issues. Any product that stands out?

Posts: 61 | Location: GA, FL, CO, NC, TN, NY, OH, Belgium, Spain, | Registered: April 24, 2007 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
falceros
"The Artist Formely Known as Falceros"

I Have no life Hair Club Member

Celestial Follicle Club Member
Picture of falceros

Posted May 09, 2007 07:58 PM 	Hide Post

hairtech_

I do not, however…

I don’t think anyone really can…simply because you have to take into consideration a few other variables:

The variables of individual physiology:

1. How quick does a particular person heal?
  2. Is the patient a bleeder?
  3. Skin color? (may impact appearance or lack thereof of redness/pinkness)

The variables of the chosen physician/clinic

1. Tools used (tools to remove donor area, tools to make recipient incisions - custom blades - what size? needles?)
  2. Techniques used (Strip/FUE?)

The variables of the surgery…

1. Graft/hair count?
  2. Length/width of strip taken

THEN finally, one can consider the products…

All that to say…

I personally don’t believe that healing time is expedited MUCH by any of these products, even though many like to believe that it is.

Personally, I like Aloe because it helps soothe the area and is good for dry and/or irritated skin. But I have no empirical data that it’s better than other products out there.

Falc

3rd HT with Dr. Hasson, CN - 3701 grafts

2nd HT with Dr. True, NY - 2249 grafts

1st HT with Dr. Katz, PA - 1600 grafts

7550 grafts total

I am not a doctor and all opinions I share are my own. I am not compensated by any doctor to be here and am here out of my own free will to offer helps, knowledge, and wisdom to anyone who requests it.

Posts: 3278 | Location: PA | Registered: October 02, 2004 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
Ignored post by falceros posted May 09, 2007 07:58 PM Show Post

hairtech_
Veteran Real Hair Club Member

Posted May 09, 2007 10:13 PM 	Hide Post

I disagree with you emphatically. Seriously, if you really think about the healing of the recipient areas in a general sence. One could hypothesis a way to… oh… let’s see… ah yes, “feeding” the grafts a small dose of electrolytes especially glucose to to “hold” them over until circulation is re-established which occurs in days. And hey maybe an anti-oxidant or two, to attempt to protect vulnerable grafts from free=radical damage. How about natural enzymes? Yes, this might decrease bacterial growth from excessive scabbing or trapped bacteria. Enzymes could help to slowly digest the scabs. And since one could hypothesis that this mixture needs to be delivered in a water based or saline based solution, then that would help keep the grafts hydrated. Aloe could be added also. I like aloe too falsc.

Now if one considers a post-op spray that has a few if not all of these indredients, then that person might deduce the following potential outcomes: If a chemist can properly compound such a formula in a safe spray form… If used properly by the patient meaning frequency from the time they either step into or out of the HT clinic… Then I would have to say that there WILL be a greater chance, in a general pool of HT patients, that healing times may decrease. And decrease significantly enough to raise an eyebrow or two. And with that decrease might very well keep a few of them from shedding first.

Consider “healing” of an individual as a relative variable to that individual’s normal length of healing time. Then that statement alone cuts most of your variables mentioned out of the healing factor.

What in general do we know about the length of time it takes for a typical patient’s grafts to fully heal with a minimal post-op protocol. 10 to 14 days on average comes to mind. And during this time period, the graft first has to wait several hours while a fibrin clot forms and anchors the graft so that angiogenesis can initiate capillary re-growth to the graft which by that time is already starved, ischemic, dehydrated, exposed to oxidative stress, UV, and free-radicals.

I agree with you that there are a few companies that claim certain outcomes. And this is why I wanted to kick up a discussion about post operative solutions and data from first hand experiences. It is an important topic and I hope others respond to this. Aloe… yeah it is good also.

Veteran Real Hair Club Member

Posted May 17, 2007 05:29 AM 	Hide Post

I am surprized that no one has much feed back on this topic.

Posts: 61 | Location: GA, FL, CO, NC, TN, NY, OH, Belgium, Spain, | Registered: April 24, 2007 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
Ignored post by hairtech_ posted May 17, 2007 05:29 AM Show Post
folica
Guru Real Hair Club Member

Posted May 17, 2007 06:21 AM 	Hide Post

Personally, I think once the transplanted follicles are firmly seated in about 3 days average, they dont need to be “Fertilized”.

folica

5/3/07~ 2660 FUT with Dr. Scott Alexander.
1 hair units = 706
2 hair units = 1802
3 & 4 hair units = 152

Posts: 268 | Registered: January 30, 2007 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
Ignored post by folica posted May 17, 2007 06:21 AM Show Post
Mrjb
"Bringing objective,quality hair restoration information to your door"

Follicular Salvation Club Member
Picture of Mrjb

Posted May 17, 2007 10:18 AM 	Hide Post

Hi

I have spoken with a couple docs and experimented with these products during my 3 HT’s… Many say there is little benefit to these products

I think all of these Graftcyte sprays and post op products don’t work… I can tell you most recentlyI used Aloe vera shampoo (50%) I got from a health food store and this seems to have worked better than anything…

The key point is to keep your donor and recepiant area’s clean… Yes, you can use speicalized products for this but trust me from personal experience… There was no difference for me except my wallet got smaller

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True
1476 FUT - Dr. True
2124 FUT - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research, and objective observations

Total - 5017 FU’s uncut!

Posts: 1068 | Location: RI | Registered: May 04, 2005 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
Ignored post by Mrjb posted May 17, 2007 10:18 AM Show Post
the B spot
Follicular Salvation Club Member
Picture of the B spot

Posted May 17, 2007 10:23 AM 	Hide Post

I found my post-operative situation using Graftcyte was markedly better than using the diluted solution I received in session 1.

The combination of shampoo, conditioner, cold compress, and concentrated spray reduced post-op redness and in general promoted over-all healing in the donor and recipient areas.

Both of my sessions were larger and relatively similar in size, so I have a pretty fair comparision model to use, especially since the same Dr. and staff worked on me both times.

Take Care,
J

3100 grafts=6335 hairs 10/7/05
3621 grafts=7571 hairs 1/3/07
Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro
6721 total grafts
13,906 hairs

I hope we get patient experiences her because this subject is very controversial.

Actually I am curious what Dr. Umar uses on this patients. I always see a coat of something in the donor, something shiny, and his patients always heal surprisingly well. Dr. Umar please share if you are reading this thread.

» Actually I am curious what Dr. Umar uses on this patients. I always see a
» coat of something in the donor, something shiny, and his patients always
» heal surprisingly well. Dr. Umar please share if you are reading this
» thread.

I wonder what it is too?? Antibiotic? Sealant? Interesting.