Pfizer is testing two drugs

Pfizer (PFE) is testing two drugs to treat hair loss. Its most advanced candidate was originally tested as an asthma treatment, because it relaxes smooth muscle cells in blood vessels such as those found in lung airways, allowing patients to breathe.

“We found the compound was not well-suited [to treating] this disease, but we are now exploring its potential in hair loss,” says Pfizer spokesman Stephen Lederer in an e-mail. He adds that scientists still don’t fully understand why relaxing certain blood vessels leads to hair growth, though this appears to be the same mechanism exploited by Rogaine.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jun2007/db20070615_535601.htm

I will be absolutely shocked if a viable treatment comes out of one of the big pharma companies like Pfizer or GSK. Agendas, Agendas…

Jtelecom

» I will be absolutely shocked if a viable treatment comes out of one of the
» big pharma companies like Pfizer or GSK. Agendas, Agendas…
»
» Jtelecom

so they are testing some another vessel relaxing topical based around the mechanism of rogaine. great. the other one is probably minoxidil + something combo in one bottle.

what an invention

all righ all right, better then nothing, but still, this sounds lame from the start. neo osh101 has better outlook in my opinion. and it is already in phase 2

For a comprehensive treatment against MPB, a company needs to come out with a topical receptor blocker or alpha five agonist (or better yet, both), a tgf-beta 1 and 2 inhibitor, something like peptides that reduce inflammation and get the skin to regenerate on a timely basis, and something that ups blood vessel building by upping VEGF. Any hypertrichotic effect added would include an ingredient that opened K channels, attacked collagenous deposits around the follicle, inhibited the expression of “other” dermal papilla growth inhibitors like PKC, thrombospoindin, FGF-5, and IL-1, and perhaps a prostaglandin analogue.

Some simple K-channel opener probably isn’t going to do much more than minox at best, even if they have found something that ups positive growth factors like IGF-1 or whatnot as a side effect.

I honestly think that during the testing of some other drug, they stumbled on a trichotic side effect and figure what the hell, lets run a test and see if its better than minox (probably not). Its definetly not like they have found something that inhibits the expression of certain GENES or anything that really WOULD be a potent hairgrower. If they had, we’d have heard about it.

“I honestly think that during the testing of some other drug, they stumbled on a trichotic side effect and figure what the hell, lets run a test and see if its better than minox (probably not).”

I would bet my life on that…

Why not?

don’t forget it is the genius of such companies that happened to stumble across minoxidil and 5 alpha reductace inhibitors…I am sure within the next 20 years they will stumble on something else which grows something they call hair or in there world i am sur they call those whispy thin worthless whiskers “Gold”

» “I honestly think that during the testing of some other drug, they
» stumbled on a trichotic side effect and figure what the hell, lets run a
» test and see if its better than minox (probably not).”

»
» I would bet my life on that…