Patients, how did you explain the sudden hat-wearing?

This question is directed toward those hair transplant patients who did not wear a hat prior to your procedure, but had to wear one for the month or so afterwards while the recipient area is still pink. What did you tell people when they asked why you are wearing a hat every day?

Also, you guys with jobs that don’t allow hats, what did you do?

I can wear a hat in my job, but it isn’t customary, and if I start wearing one every day people are going to find it very odd. That curiosity obviously won’t stop me, but I wouldn’t mind hearing what excuses others have used to explain their new daily hat-wearing. :wink:

» This question is directed toward those hair transplant patients who did not
» wear a hat prior to your procedure, but had to wear one for the month or so
» afterwards while the recipient area is still pink. What did you tell people
» when they asked why you are wearing a hat every day?
»
» Also, you guys with jobs that don’t allow hats, what did you do?
»
» I can wear a hat in my job, but it isn’t customary, and if I start wearing
» one every day people are going to find it very odd. That curiosity
» obviously won’t stop me, but I wouldn’t mind hearing what excuses others
» have used to explain their new daily hat-wearing. :wink:

Just a thought: If your hair was a couple of inches long or so before the HT, get a buzzcut. Then tell everyone you’re waiting for your hair to grow out because you don’t like the look.

How long does it take for the pink to go away in the worst case scenario?

How about start wearing a hat months before the surgery and make a point to take it off every so often in front of people.

How many weeks are you planning to take off from work? What if you buzz your hair real short before the procedure and then return to work with the same buzz cut? I saw some post op healing pics that look pretty good and natural when people cut their hair real short.

»
» How long does it take for the pink to go away in the worst case scenario?

It can actually be a few months for guys like me who have light complexions and more pink in their skin. But, I’d say a month to 6 weeks would probably be sufficient to wear the hat, since I am filling in an area that has hair.

» How about start wearing a hat months before the surgery and make a point to
» take it off every so often in front of people.

That’s actually my plan. Since the rainy season is about to start, it’s good timing, too. :slight_smile:

» How many weeks are you planning to take off from work? What if you buzz
» your hair real short before the procedure and then return to work with the
» same buzz cut? I saw some post op healing pics that look pretty good and
» natural when people cut their hair real short.

The problem with the buzz cut for me is that I’ve had three strip surgeries. Although I am starting to fill in those scars with the upcoming procedure, that hair won’t grow for at least 3 months. Also, I have minigrafts from those early procedures, and they won’t look good with a buzz cut. They look okay with longer hair, though. So, no buzz cut for me.

Actually, my longterm goal is to have Dr Cole remove the minigrafts, turn them into FUE grafts, and reimplant them. But, I won’t start that for a couple of years. It’s pretty expensive. Ah, to have had FUE when I started this!

Take at least 3 weeks, get a sun tan and a short hair cut before returning to wrk.

» Take at least 3 weeks, get a sun tan and a short hair cut before returning
» to wrk.

The smart thing to do would be to start wearing hats before the surgery so people get used to it, so then when you start to wear them after no one will question it.