Number of hairs

Hi guys can anyone tell me how many body hairs it would take to cover up to one square inch with decent coverage.Im thinking 50 or maybe 100 is this about right or is it to low.

Eeek I am not known for math. Someone else will have to answer that.:slight_smile:

Even if the hair grows perfectly, 50-100 grafts is not much density for a square inch of scalp.

BTW, is there a reason why you are looking to do Body hairs for this surgery? I ask because, for most people, bht is thinner and has fewer hairs per graft. Scalp hair tends to work better in terms of scalp overage. I thought I would mention this since you are already talking about a very small number of grafts.

» Hi guys can anyone tell me how many body hairs it would take to cover up to
» one square inch with decent coverage.Im thinking 50 or maybe 100 is this
» about right or is it to low.

The answer is 500 aprox, placed as two hairs/ incission. BTW 1 inch2 is about 5cm2

I don’t have very little scalp donor left i made the hugh mistake of going to dominic brandy years ago,thats why if i do anything and im not at all sure i will because the brandy experince pretty much tramatized me for life but if i did it would probaly have to be body hair.

I think it would be closer to 6cm2 so the answer is variable depending on density desired (50 to 100 hair cm2) Marco seems right on with his assessment

Hairtech to be the internationally renowned expert you have appeared to be and basking in your international 'radio stardom ’ ( absolutely unbelievable) It surprises me that you cant just throw the numbers right out of your head .You are letting your fans down.

19,000 grafts by Dr Umar
www.myhairtransformation.com

Nate, one square inch of scalp contains about 1500 hairs provided you have no hair loss. The old ruls of thumb is that you need about 1/2 this to produce coverage, but that has never really been studied. Dr. Marrit did a study in the late 90s where he began plucking hair our of a square inch. He noted that even after plucking over 1/2 the hair, the area still looked full. This is where this assessment arose.

If you have coarse hair, you will not need as many grafts to produce coverage. If you have fine hair, you will need more hair to produce coverage. Hair diameter is expotentially more important than hair density with regard to coverage.

This is where body hair often fails to produce the desired affect. When body hair grows, it often grows even finer than when it was on the body initially. This can produce a very fine coverage even when growth is good. You cannot always predict growth from body hair, but there are some general factors to consider based on studies we have performed.

Anagen hairs grow sooner than telogen hairs and tend to have a better yeild, as well. Density tends to be a major factor, as well. In our first body hair transplant, we placed densities of about 70 per sq. cm. We got great growth, but in some subsequent sessions of high densities, our yeilds were as low as 30%. We then studied density and yield. We found that densties below 30 per sq cm do very well, but densites as high as 36 per sq cm can be very good. Densities, above 36 per sq cm, can be quite poor.

In my opinion, body hair really is best left for use when you have few alternatives. Of course we have had good results when used despite good scalp donor sources, but we recomend you stay with scalp hair as long as possible. When you do switch to body hair, recognize that the result can be quite subtle. While a few have made great progress with body hair, some seem to inch along. They get better, but the results will not wow you. Over time and with more body hair, you might see significnat strides, but there can be no guarantees based on what we know today. Again, based on the high variablity with high density body hair grafting, I have to recomend lower densities and multiple sessions over single large sessions of body hair.

Excellent post doc.:wink:

Nice of him…

» Nate, one square inch of scalp contains about 1500 hairs provided you have
» no hair loss. The old ruls of thumb is that you need about 1/2 this to
» produce coverage, but that has never really been studied. Dr. Marrit did
» a study in the late 90s where he began plucking hair our of a square inch.
» He noted that even after plucking over 1/2 the hair, the area still looked
» full. This is where this assessment arose.
»
» If you have coarse hair, you will not need as many grafts to produce
» coverage. If you have fine hair, you will need more hair to produce
» coverage. Hair diameter is expotentially more important than hair density
» with regard to coverage.
»
» This is where body hair often fails to produce the desired affect. When
» body hair grows, it often grows even finer than when it was on the body
» initially. This can produce a very fine coverage even when growth is
» good. You cannot always predict growth from body hair, but there are some
» general factors to consider based on studies we have performed.
»
» Anagen hairs grow sooner than telogen hairs and tend to have a better
» yeild, as well. Density tends to be a major factor, as well. In our
» first body hair transplant, we placed densities of about 70 per sq. cm.
» We got great growth, but in some subsequent sessions of high densities,
» our yeilds were as low as 30%. We then studied density and yield. We
» found that densties below 30 per sq cm do very well, but densites as high
» as 36 per sq cm can be very good. Densities, above 36 per sq cm, can be
» quite poor.
»
» In my opinion, body hair really is best left for use when you have few
» alternatives. Of course we have had good results when used despite good
» scalp donor sources, but we recomend you stay with scalp hair as long as
» possible. When you do switch to body hair, recognize that the result can
» be quite subtle. While a few have made great progress with body hair, some
» seem to inch along. They get better, but the results will not wow you.
» Over time and with more body hair, you might see significnat strides, but
» there can be no guarantees based on what we know today. Again, based on
» the high variablity with high density body hair grafting, I have to
» recomend lower densities and multiple sessions over single large sessions
» of body hair.

I would think it would be great once you have used up all your scalp hair to use body hair as filler to thicken up your previous transplants.

Ok guys thanks to everyone who responded,as i say i want to have a little more repair done but i just don’t know, i know some of you can understand my reluctance given my experience with brandy, guys i don’t mind telling you that guy almost messed me up for life,i don’t understand why someone would do that to another person,god knows i wouldn’t have done it to him, and to think i paid him to do it.Any way i will decide soon what to do,and if i do go for repair then i will let everyone know how it goes.

Nate I feel for you as I have seen other patients in the past from him.