Nothing has changed

» In the end, it’s about improving our appearance to make ourselves feel
» better; your self-esteem is priceless. I guarantee you that I did not go
» through with my procedure because of what others thought of me, it was for
» me and me only.

I’m not buying it. Are you claiming you got an HT for reasons other than insecurity about your appearance? You said it yourself; it was about self-esteem. You were self-conscious about your hair. By definition, that means you did it because of what others thought of you. If not, then why did you do it? There are no medical benefits to a HT - why have an unnecessary surgery?

» I don’t fear the money of Propecia. I fear the eventual discoveries that
» this crap is unsafe (or at least a lot worse that we thought) in the long
» term. I honestly believe those studies are coming sooner or later. Right
» now I think most of the MPB world isn’t sure. And I think at some level we
» don’t really want to know too much yet while there’s no better option.

Finasteride (the active ingredient of Propecia) has been on the market as a BP treatment (in higher doses) for 20 years. There is a tremendous amount of data on it, and it has been shown to be safe. In fact, there is indications that it could prevent prostate cancer (though it may also exacerbate it in some).

20 years of research is only worth something if it’s 20 years of unbiased & valid research. I don’t think Fin has gotten that.

An androgen-inhibiting drug being given to adult males, getting only a cursory self-reported questionnaire as to the sexual side effects incidence? They didn’t find whatever they didn’t want to find.

And what about the number of guys whose side effects aren’t reversing after they quit? There’s enough of this happening to warrant some real study as to what’s happening in their systems and why. (Some guys have gone onto TESTOSTERONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY, and thus ended up with HIGHER Test & DHT levels than before they ever took Fin, and the side effects are STILL NOT REVERSING. Is that not worthy of attention?)

So why isn’t Merck studying it, instead of denying its occurrence?

They monitored & gathered feedback on all their original test patients for an entire two weeks after discontinuation of the drug. Sounds like plenty of time to discover longer-term issues, huh?

» 20 years of research is only worth something if it’s 20 years of unbiased &
» valid research. I don’t think Fin has gotten that.
»
» An androgen-inhibiting drug being given to adult males, getting only a
» cursory self-reported questionnaire as to the sexual side effects
» incidence? They didn’t find whatever they didn’t want to find.
»
»
»
» And what about the number of guys whose side effects aren’t reversing
» after they quit? There’s enough of this happening to warrant some real
» study as to what’s happening in their systems and why. (Some guys have
» gone onto TESTOSTERONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY, and thus ended up with HIGHER
» Test & DHT levels than before they ever took Fin, and the side effects are
» STILL NOT REVERSING. Is that not worthy of attention?)
»
» So why isn’t Merck studying it, instead of denying its occurrence?
»
» They monitored & gathered feedback on all their original test patients for
» an entire two weeks after discontinuation of the drug. Sounds like plenty
» of time to discover longer-term issues, huh?

Are you one of those guys who can’t get it up, so you blame it on Finasteride? Come on - 20 years, several double-blind studies, millions and millions of users. If you’re going to make these claims, I hope you have some data to back them up. Otherwise, its just anonymous hearsay.

I’ve been using it for 10 years and have never had any side effects. I’ve been in a long-term relationship for 8 of those, and I’ve never had a problem sexually. I have a full head of hair, and its because of Finasteride - it completely stopped my hairloss. If you’re losing your hair and you’re not on Finasteride, you’re crazy.

I’m losing my hair, I’m on Finasteride, it’s not only saving it but actually regrowing my temples, and my sexual sides from this dosage are very slight.

However, I’m capable of understanding that not everyone reacts to a medication the same way that my body does. And I’m capable of reading about people dealing with bad effects from it.

Surf any of the “Propecia messed me up” kind of websites for an hour, you’ll find complaints of exactly what I’m talking about. Nothing I’ve mentioned back there is anything secret at all. You just have to look outside Merck’s own research.

And we’re not talking about a lot of guys who like coming onto other message boards just to bash Fin to anyone who will listen. We’re talking about groups of guys just talking amongst themselves. Just comparing stories & notes about how best to fight & cope with the problems this stuff has caused them.

Now people know lots of grafts are needed for changing each norwood level. They know how many grafts per sq cm, and even a high school dropout can measure sq cms roughly.
So, salesmen can not easily dupe us into thinking 1000 grafts is ok for a NW 6 man.

Pictures are clearer from the top clinics. They do not use flash. More videos show the density acheivable. Wet hair, even shampooing has been videod and put up to see.

More people post their experiences - good or bad. More people are willing to meet others to show their results.

If you ask me, this site is for the sobbing, self pitying slobs that do not want to move their as" to do their research. They’d keep on cribbing why they will never get a transplant. If I had not gone and met patients in person, gone only by the opinions expressed on this and other sites, I would still be thinking all HT is crap.

I’m sure all the ht docs are hoping Joe “hair plugs” Biden doesn’t get the 2nd spot to Obama. Here is a guy that is a walking billboard for not getting a hair transplant. He had some major repair work done, and his hair still looks like s**t.

As for the non believers, let them find out the hard way. Unfortunately I didn’t have the same access to information as they do. We will be reading posts from the front loaded youngsters in a few years.

Unfortunately, I doubt that Joe Biden being in the public eye will have a major effect. The HT butchers mostly win again. It makes you wish guys like Biden would get some laws cracking down on them.

Biden’s HT work was terrible years ago for sure. If anything spurs conversations about it, it will be old footage/pics of Joe Biden from decades ago.

But he’s obviously had it reworked since then. Now his head doesn’t look especially unnatural from the frontal angles anymore. And the public knows more or less nothing about HT methods. Modern footage of Biden won’t arouse much thought about it.

Some talking-head TV commentator might bring it up once in a while, but I doubt it will single-handedly bring much awareness about bad HTs into America’s living room. People will just look at him and write it off as bad old-guy hair. Most people won’t think about specifically WHAT is wrong with it.

The only thing I really hope for is Folica.

I agree the average person will not take notice. Because the average person really could give a rat’s ass about what someone’s hair looks like.

But prospective patients will take notice. This is what money and power buys in the world of HT. You said it best, old guy hair.

Clinics should really be promoting this type of result as what you can expect.

» Not only does the density of the hair (i.e. quantity) thin, the calibre of
» the hairs diminishes… A minigraft where 4 robust healthy hairs were moved
» and grew for years, now has just 2 fine calibre hairs remaining.
»
» When the hairs were transplanted, they were healthy and could be grown to
» any length. Now, 15 years later, they are much finer and weak (just like
» their peers from the donor site), and can’t be grown more than a few inches
» because they snarl and break easily.
»
» The “immune” hairs from the fringe are not actually immune to the effects
» of aging. I’m still waiting for a doctor or a company rep to discuss the
» reality of this…
»
»
»

I’ve been saying this for years. I’m glad this issue is finally getting debated. This is part of the reason I felt no hope with the ICX approach. They are just replicating crappy donor hair. What good is that in the long run? The Follica approach, on the other hand will create “new” HF if everything goes as planned. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

» Most men will thin in the donor to some extent due to senile alopecia as we
» age. To what extent? Hard to tell.

Most men in their 40’s that have MPB will thin in the donor to some extent. Do you consider this senile alopecia?

» I agree the average person will not take notice. Because the average person
» really could give a rat’s ass about what someone’s hair looks like.
»
» But prospective patients will take notice. This is what money and power
» buys in the world of HT. You said it best, old guy hair.
»
» Clinics should really be promoting this type of result as what you can
» expect.

What is wrong with old guy hair? This guy is an old guy, he’s in his mid 60s. I think he looks better this way than a NW6. The question is, can hair transplants make young guys look their age, or are they putting thin, old man’s hair on young guys?

» » I agree the average person will not take notice. Because the average
» person
» » really could give a rat’s ass about what someone’s hair looks like.
» »
» » But prospective patients will take notice. This is what money and power
» » buys in the world of HT. You said it best, old guy hair.
» »
» » Clinics should really be promoting this type of result as what you can
» » expect.
»
» What is wrong with old guy hair? This guy is an old guy, he’s in his mid
» 60s. I think he looks better this way than a NW6. The question is, can hair
» transplants make young guys look their age, or are they putting thin, old
» man’s hair on young guys?

The reason Biden looks kinda whack is that he has an enormous bald spot behind the transplanted hair. The frontal hair looks like an older-man’s hair. Biden didnt have finasteride/nizoral available to him when he was young and his hair was already gone when that stuff came out. If hypothetically he’d been on finasteride and used nizoral a couple of times a week (leaving it in for a minute or two before rinsing), since he was 25, he might still have that hair in the bald spot and the transplant might not look so out of place.

Since the media are extremely Obama-friendly, dont look for the press to allow you to see too many unflattering views of the back of Biden’s head. Things like that are usually “out-of-bounds” for journalism anyway in regards to embarrassingly large bald spots in the backs of politician’s heads in America. The elder Bush had a pretty sizeable back baldspot when he was president and its probably much bigger now…but you dont see it very much because they dont show him to you from behind in newscasts and photographs.

» » » I agree the average person will not take notice. Because the average
» » person
» » » really could give a rat’s ass about what someone’s hair looks like.
» » »
» » » But prospective patients will take notice. This is what money and
» power
» » » buys in the world of HT. You said it best, old guy hair.
» » »
» » » Clinics should really be promoting this type of result as what you
» can
» » » expect.
» »
» » What is wrong with old guy hair? This guy is an old guy, he’s in his
» mid
» » 60s. I think he looks better this way than a NW6. The question is, can
» hair
» » transplants make young guys look their age, or are they putting thin,
» old
» » man’s hair on young guys?
»
»
»
»
»
» The reason Biden looks kinda whack is that he has an enormous bald spot
» behind the transplanted hair. The frontal hair looks like an older-man’s
» hair. Biden didnt have finasteride/nizoral available to him when he was
» young and his hair was already gone when that stuff came out. If
» hypothetically he’d been on finasteride and used nizoral a couple of times
» a week (leaving it in for a minute or two before rinsing), since he was 25,
» he might still have that hair in the bald spot and the transplant might not
» look so out of place.
»
» Since the media are extremely Obama-friendly, dont look for the press to
» allow you to see too many unflattering views of the back of Biden’s head.
» Things like that are usually “out-of-bounds” for journalism anyway in
» regards to embarrassingly large bald spots in the backs of politician’s
» heads in America. The elder Bush had a pretty sizeable back baldspot when
» he was president and its probably much bigger
» now…but you dont see it very much because they dont
» show him to you from behind in newscasts and photographs.

you cannot avoid bidens bald spot that would be like avoiding Obamas race
its kind of glaringly obvious cant be hidden

» Now people know lots of grafts are needed for changing each norwood level.
» They know how many grafts per sq cm, and even a high school dropout can
» measure sq cms roughly.
» So, salesmen can not easily dupe us into thinking 1000 grafts is ok for a
» NW 6 man.
»
»
» Pictures are clearer from the top clinics. They do not use flash. More
» videos show the density acheivable. Wet hair, even shampooing has been
» videod and put up to see.
»
»
» More people post their experiences - good or bad. More people are willing
» to meet others to show their results.
»
» If you ask me, this site is for the sobbing, self pitying slobs that do
» not want to move their as" to do their research. They’d keep on cribbing
» why they will never get a transplant. If I had not gone and met patients in
» person, gone only by the opinions expressed on this and other sites, I
» would still be thinking all HT is crap.
Great points Rajesh. Couldnt agree more, apart from this site comments. I think all forums will have their share of glass is half full and glass is half empty personalities.
Its real change in itself just being able to google search a topic and learn rather than have to go to the library to learn from a 20 year old outdated book. Most people not long ago would not find out the Dr is a Butcher until their own heads were the ones butchers.

» What is wrong with old guy hair? This guy is an old guy, he’s in his mid
» 60s. I think he looks better this way than a NW6.

Nothing wrong with old guy hair. Biden’s ht represents a realistic result of what someone could expect from ht surgery. You will not see these realistic results, because they don’t sell.

I said “old guy hair” because that’s the only thing most of the public will think about it. Take it as a compliment or an insult.

I don’t think it’s entirely fair to characterize Biden’s results as being “normal” for HTs. At least not for GOOD transplants these days coming from modern docs.

Biden’s early HT work set the tone for everything else he could ever do about it later, and that early work was crap by any standards. He was given a wall-of-plugs hairline with literally no considerations for future loss at all, and then he proceeded to NW#6-7 status. Absolutely worst case scenario.

Although I agree that even modern HTs will probably still thin a fair amount over time, at least the baseline coverage pattern & density is being done much more naturally now.

Biden is looking pretty good from the front for a repair patient, IMO.

He just needs some crown work. ; )

“Plugs”

“Fixed”

Give 'em hell Joe!

» I said “old guy hair” because that’s the only thing most of the public will
» think about it. Take it as a compliment or an insult.
»
»
»
» I don’t think it’s entirely fair to characterize Biden’s results as being
» “normal” for HTs. At least not for GOOD transplants these days coming from
» modern docs.
»
» Biden’s early HT work set the tone for everything else he could ever do
» about it later, and that early work was crap by any standards. He was
» given a wall-of-plugs hairline with literally no considerations for future
» loss at all, and then he proceeded to NW#6-7 status. Absolutely worst case
» scenario.
»
»
» Although I agree that even modern HTs will probably still thin a fair
» amount over time, at least the baseline coverage pattern & density is being
» done much more naturally now.

bidens frontal hairline actually looks pretty normal
the problem is he is a NW7 and no way can he cover that huge desert of a bald patch with any donor hair

I’ll bet he has some good body and beard hair to work with. ; )