Not sure how it could relate to hair loss but it seems noteworthy anyway

It just seems like if medical science keeps coming up with new ideas like this sooner or later someone will be able to put a full head of new hairs onto people’s heads.

So we’ve got to a point were we can literally grow a nose on your forehead but not make your hair grow? That guy needs to get on some meds anyway, looks like hes’ heading for Nw3 territory.

I know what you mean. How can regrowing hair be so far behind when we can grow noses on people’s foreheads? It doesn’t make sense. It seems like we should be able to grow sheets of follicles to use as a donor supply creating an unlimited donor supply.

But Dr. Nigam is attempting something that might be just as good - 3d spheroids and microfollicles. What do you think about these two techniques?

well you guys know that this is not literally a nose, it is probably just a nose shaped cartilage implanted in his forehead… this is much simpler than actually making skin cells grow into a full blown organ.

This is actually the same as the mouse on which they claimed to have grown an ear. To me an implant in the shape of an ear is not an ear, no matter how closely it may actually resemble an ear.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by jarjarbinx[/postedby]
I know what you mean. How can regrowing hair be so far behind when we can grow noses on people’s foreheads? It doesn’t make sense. It seems like we should be able to grow sheets of follicles to use as a donor supply creating an unlimited donor supply.

But Dr. Nigam is attempting something that might be just as good - 3d spheroids and microfollicles. What do you think about these two techniques?[/quote]

The “nose” that was grown on that man’s forehead is not a real, anatomically-correct nose as we know it. It’s not the same as a nose in the middle of your face.

That structure was grown by tissue expansion techniques (same as is sometimes used by HT surgeons, expanding the scalp skin with balloons to create bigger areas of hairy skin which can then be positioned in bald areas.)

I’m sure the doctors used some kind of tissue mold or scaffold to create that shape. The article mentioned they were going to take cartilege from his ribs to recreate some kind of “nasal septum” inside it to maintain the shape of this thing once it is positioned on his face.

The article didn’t show the tissue expansion techniques they used to get there.

A lot of this sensationalist stuff comes out of Chinese news media. They want to show the world their medical technology is advanced, perhaps to promote medical tourism, but they just show you something that looks “amazing” without giving a full explanation.