No Growth And No Explanation

Well, after 16 months of a 1500 unit strip procedure, the 500 or so units that were placed in my hairline not only did not grow in but my hairline actually receeded.
This is my 3rd procedure. The crown did grow in nicely though.

The only thing that I could atribute this to is that after my procedure, i was put on avodart for a minor prostate problem and because of several herniated discs in my back I was on heavy oxycodone ever since on a daily basis. So either the pain meds or the avodart affected my hairline.
When I asked my doctor, he had nothing to say. Tells me alot about him. He got my money so he didn’t even offer a hypothesis. No partial refund, nothing.
So I am looking at small strip procedure soon with only enough cash for about 1000 grafts in the front. And I am giving up avodart and percocets. I welcome any comments. Broke and disgusted.

I would forego the strip and do a very small fue session maybe 100. Monitor the area for about 1 year and make sure you have growth. Sometimes it’s hard to be patient and wait around that long, but it’s the smart thing to do. Once you are out of donor you are out of luck. You can always have another strip later if that is what you choose.

Right now making sure you can get growth in that area is most important.

As far as getting off medications personally I think that’s a very good idea as I use no medication at all.

I’m not sure if you back pain has subsided but I’m sure you know the importance of doing some core exercises to make the area stronger and take some of the stress off the spine. Some of the best exercises include the squat and deadlift. It doesn’t need to be heavy, in fact higher reps 20-50 would be ideal. Taking deep breaths before each lift help to keep the area tight and is not only natural but a key to safe lifting. The use of a belt is not a good idea as this takes stress off of the very area you are trying to develop.

I hope everything works out for you.

Steve, who did the procedure? With that kind of response to your lack of growth he should be outed.

» Steve, who did the procedure? With that kind of response to your lack of
» growth he should be outed.

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-73539-page-0-category-2-order-last_answer-descasc-DESC.html

» Well, after 16 months of a 1500 unit strip procedure, the 500 or so units
» that were placed in my hairline not only did not grow in but my hairline
» actually receeded.
» This is my 3rd procedure. The crown did grow in nicely though.
»
» The only thing that I could atribute this to is that after my procedure, i
» was put on avodart for a minor prostate problem and because of several
» herniated discs in my back I was on heavy oxycodone ever since on a daily
» basis. So either the pain meds or the avodart affected my hairline.
» When I asked my doctor, he had nothing to say. Tells me alot about him. He
» got my money so he didn’t even offer a hypothesis. No partial refund,
» nothing.
» So I am looking at small strip procedure soon with only enough cash for
» about 1000 grafts in the front. And I am giving up avodart and percocets.
» I welcome any comments. Broke and disgusted.

Can meds really affect the outcome of a hair transplant? how do we know what not to take after a hair transplant, is there a list?

» Well, after 16 months of a 1500 unit strip procedure, the 500 or so units
» that were placed in my hairline not only did not grow in but my hairline
» actually receeded.
» This is my 3rd procedure. The crown did grow in nicely though.
»
» The only thing that I could atribute this to is that after my procedure, i
» was put on avodart for a minor prostate problem and because of several
» herniated discs in my back I was on heavy oxycodone ever since on a daily
» basis. So either the pain meds or the avodart affected my hairline.
» When I asked my doctor, he had nothing to say. Tells me alot about him. He
» got my money so he didn’t even offer a hypothesis. No partial refund,
» nothing.
» So I am looking at small strip procedure soon with only enough cash for
» about 1000 grafts in the front. And I am giving up avodart and percocets.
» I welcome any comments. Broke and disgusted.

You do any recreational drugs?

Do you have a circulation problem?

Are you a heavy tobacco user?

Diabetic?

N0, no casual drugs and no smoking. After this disaster of a HT I went on several hairloss sights on the net and I did find from several posters that avodart (dutasteride) does effect the frontal hairline. At least for them it did. I dont know why but one possible explanation is that Dut leaves a large amount of free Testosterone in the blood and this large amount of “T” affects the hairline.
So I went from daily dosing of Dut to twice per week.
Hopefully this will bring my 500 or so Follicular units back.

I only have enough cash for a HT of about 1000 units in my hairline only. Who knows but the common denominator is the pain meds and avodart. And I cant risk 4 HT’s and lose everything. Especially since the front hairline is the most important to me. The top of my head has grown in fine though.

Hi Steve, I am sorry that your hairline did not grow.

One possible reason why grafts has grown on the crown and not on the hairline is in case the placement has been done with an implanter and the grafts were skinny could have been traumatized from the implanter and they did not grow. In the case of the crown that usually grafts have more tissue are traumatized less by the implanter and manage to survive.

Regards
Alex