Effects of Revivogen Scalp Therapy on Testosterone Metabolism
in Reconstructed Human Epidermis

courtesy of Revigogen

Certified by:
Name: Franck JUCHAUX
Position: Study director
Date: October 18th, 2007 Signature

1 - INTRODUCTION

ADVANCED SKIN AND HAIR, INC. has developed the compound Revivogen Scalp Therapy for hair loss. Male pattern hair loss (MPHL) is a potentially reversible condition in which dihydrotestosterone is an important etiologic factor (Olsen et al, 2006). Dihydrotestosterone, the efficient steroid, is produced from testosterone by 5α reductase. Inhibition of 5α reductase activity is known to improve MPHL.

Olsen EA, Hordinsky M, Whiting D, Stough D, Hobbs S, Ellis ML, Wilson T, Rittmaster RS, 2006. The importance of dual 5alpha-reductase inhibition in the treatment of male pattern hair loss: results of a randomized placebo-controlled study of dutasteride versus finasteride. J Am Acad Dermatol., 55(6):1014-23

BIOalternatives performed this study in order to assess the effects of the test compound on the metabolism of testosterone in reconstructed human epidermis. This model has been shown to be useful for the evaluation of inhibitors of this metabolism (Bernard et al. 2000; Int. J. Cosm. Sci.,22, 397-407).

The steroid 5α-reductase isoenzymes (5αR) transform testosterone (T) into 17β-hydroxy-5α-androstan-3-one (5-dihydrotestosterone, DHT). This reaction is crucial in the action of androgens.

2 - MATERIALS AND METHODS 2.1 Biological model

Reconstructed Human Epidermis (RHE)

• Tissues: 18 RHE (0.50 cm², 10 days), batch n° 01015-31
  • Culture: at 37°C and 5 % CO2
  • Culture medium: differentiation medium

2.2 Test compound and references

2.3 Testosterone

Testosterone: [4-14C] testosterone (Amersham B76, 54 mCi/mmole, 2.35 nmole/epidermis). [4-14C] testosterone stock-solution was dissolved in ethanol and diluted in sterile water (1% ethanol final).

2.4 Treatment

The RHE were topically treated (or not, control) with the test compound or the references. Three RHE were used for each experimental condition.

After 24h of treatment, the RHE were topically re-treated and incubated for 5 hours. After incubation, the test compound and references were removed from the top of the RHE and 100 µl of the labelled testosterone solution were loaded on the stratum corneum of each RHE (127 nCi/epidermis).

After a 24-hour incubation period, the media underneath the RHE were collected for sterols analysis.

2.5 Extractions and analysis

Transepidermal diffusion assessment: the amount of testosterone that passed through the epidermal tissues was measured by liquid scintillation counting (LKB 1211 Rackbeta counter) of a fraction of culture medium.

Metabolism analysis: the steroid molecules from culture media were extracted by 2 volumes of chloroform/methanol (98:2) and dried. The various molecular species (testosterone metabolites) were separated by thin layer chromatography (TLC) on silica plates (RE/Silice, Whatman) in a solvent system containing dichloromethane, ethylacetate and methanol (85:15:3). The plates were autoradiographed and testosterone metabolites were quantified using a phosphorImager and specific software (Packard instrument).

3 - RESULTS AND CONCLUSION

Schematic simplified pathway for testosterone metabolism.
Effects of finasteride (from Bernard F-X et al., Int. J. Cosmetic Science, 22 397-407 (2000))

Tables 1 and 2

Untreated control:
After 24h of culture, the rate of testosterone metabolism was very high.
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) was clearly identified in the steroid profile. DHT was the major metabolite in the control epidermis. After 24h, about 74% of the deposited testosterone was converted into DHT. Other important metabolites were androstane-diols (e) and 4-androstene-3,17-dione (b).

Effects of finasteride:
Finasteride at 10-5 M strongly inhibited the transformation of testosterone into DHT (67% inhibition compared to the control). Furthermore, as expected, finasteride decreased the amount of androstane-diols (e) and induced a strong accumulation of 4-androstene-3,17-dione (b) (Figure 1).

Effects of dutasteride:
Dutasteride at 10-6 M and 10-5 M strongly inhibited dose dependently the transformation of testosterone into DHT (respectively 80% and 86% of inhibition of the DHT production compared to the control). Furthermore, as expected, dutasteride decreased the amount of androstane-diols (e) and induced a strong accumulation of 4-androstene-3,17-dione (b) (Figure 1).

Effects of Revivogen Scalp Therapy:
Revivogen Scalp Therapy (5 mg/cm²) strongly reduced the production of DHT (90% of inhibition of the DHT production compared to the control).

4 - TABLES AND FIGURES

Table 1: Diffusion of [14C]-testosterone (and metabolites) through RHE. Trans-epidermal diffusion

Figure 1: Thin layer chromatography and autoradiography of [14C]-testosterone and metabolites after transepidermal diffusion (24h).

Table 2: Effects of Revivogen Scalp Therapy and the reference compounds on the production of testosterone metabolites. Instant Imager analysis of TLC in figure 2 (direct radioactivity measurement). Click here.

For more information, go to Revigogen or email hairsite@aol.com

interesting study…too bad i cant use revivogen. As hard as it is to believe but revivogen might the culprit behind the increased adipose tissue around the ‘breast’ area for me. Soon i will be put on temaxifen and because my case is still early enough, i hope it can be reversed. Once that happens i will start using revivogen again along with a low dose of temaxifen and see what happens.

It’s good they now have an official study but if you look at the bottom diagram it’s really not that much better than propecia and dutasteride.

Apesmith, please DO KEEP US POSTED about your results with tamoxifen.
Something weird about revivogen: the diagrams show that revivogen inhibits all of the transformations of T (here considered at least). That should favor a greater bioavailable testosterone (= a better libido) and/or a higher conversion of T into E. Hence the possible gyno as you seem to imply, Apesmith. Maybe Brian could help here with a little explanation…
My recent experiment with revivogen speaks rather contrary to this study, though: convinced that after a 3 month treatment, revivogen was accountable for the improvement of my hair condition (from 200 hairs shed daily to 100, with no gynecomastia), I decided to stop nettle root I’d been taking for 2 months and to lower my Fin dosage from 2.5mg to 2mg. As a result: 400 hairs shed daily within two months. So Revivogen doesn’t seem to have been the magic bullet and So I am back to nettle root and 2.5 mg of fin, waiting to regain the lost ground…

I would have started taking temoxefin or arimidex long ago, but due to some insurance issues i had, things had to be put on hold for awhile. in march is my appointment with a new endo, so hopefully she will be better qualified to help me then my last endo. Yeah this revivogen has been an amusing mystery to me, i may very well be the ONLY person on earth to have been afflicted with gyno due to the application of it. However, it may very well be that its a coincidence. At the same time that the case of gyno appeared i have had many other symptoms along side it, heart palpitations, dizziness, my injuries never seem to heal, gerd, and a host of other issues. Since my last endo was an incompetent hack, i didnt get to the bottom of whats going on. My goal is to 1. reverse the gyno since its still early enough 2. take something for DHT, perhaps revivogen. I will keep you updated as to how it all goes.

When I was struck by gyno 2 years ago, I had a 2 month shot on arimidex. This thing was not covered by my insurance since it is designed for female breast cancer. It relieved the soreness and stopped the process from further development. But It did not reverse the grown gland. Since it is VERY expensive (200 - 250 bucks a pill pack), rather try tamoxifen which is said to be the best choice by bodybuilders and whose price is very reasonable. I didn’t try then cause my doc didn’t want to prescribe it, saying that arimidex was better… probably wrongly.

any luck with the hair loss while using this product?

» It’s good they now have an official study but if you look at the bottom
» diagram it’s really not that much better than propecia and dutasteride.

DOes this drug get absorbed systemtically?

Hard to say…
When I began revivogen last september, i had been shedding an average 180 hairs a day over the preceding 6 months. No change in my regimen could account for such a worsening.
Then I began revivogen and 4 weeks later, my shedding count hit a record high, as is often the case with successful treatments prior to kicking really in. But at this very same time, I threw nettle root + gingko bilobain the mix and did a colon wash toimprove absorption. My shed came to a complete stop over 3 months. In december I had a flu and decided to stop all thepills I thought useless, convinced as I was than the benefactor was revivogen.On top of it, I switched from a daily 2.5mg of finasteride to2 mg, relying upon revivogen to maintain my then good condition. But I got to shed 150, 200 etc up to400 hairs a day within 2 months…
So revivogen may improve a stable situation but might be helpless to compensate for the share of oral dht inhibitors.
As to knowing whether it passes into the blood stream, well, I personally had no side effects but Apesmith thinks he had.

What’s the difference between Revivogen and Crinagen? Crinagen has the same ingredients and cost a lot less.

» What’s the difference between Revivogen and Crinagen? Crinagen has the same
» ingredients and cost a lot less.

the guy who makes crinagen looks alot less creepier then the maker of revivogen.

» » What’s the difference between Revivogen and Crinagen? Crinagen has the
» same
» » ingredients and cost a lot less.
»
» the guy who makes crinagen looks alot less creepier then the maker of
» revivogen.

I just checked again, the ingredients are almost identical.

» » » What’s the difference between Revivogen and Crinagen? Crinagen has the
» » same
» » » ingredients and cost a lot less.
» »
» » the guy who makes crinagen looks alot less creepier then the maker of
» » revivogen.
»
» I just checked again, the ingredients are almost identical.

Revivogen has essential fatty acid which is supposed to penetrate better according to Bryan. Crinagen is just water based.

Those Revivogen folks sure are good at marketing this stuff.

It wasn’t too long ago that they said no other ingredients were needed or being looked at, since maximum inhibition was already achieved with what they used. And yet look what these new ingredients are purported to do.

» I just checked again, the ingredients are almost identical.

Sure, Crinagen may have traces of the fatty acids used in Revivogen, but Revivogen very likely has far greater quantities of them! :wink:

» » I just checked again, the ingredients are almost identical.
»
» Sure, Crinagen may have traces of the fatty acids used in Revivogen, but
» Revivogen very likely has far greater quantities of them! :wink:
»
»

Is fatty acids really that important for penetration? Does it justify 3 times the price of Crinagen?

» Is fatty acids really that important for penetration?
» Does it justify 3 times the price of Crinagen?

The fatty acids in Revivogen serve as 5a-reductase inhibitors. They certainly aren’t there solely for “penetration”. I doubt that Crinagen has enough of them to serve that purpose at all.