Neck (nape) Hair Donor?

Hello everyone,

I don’t know if this questions has ever been asked before, but I couldn’t find an answer. My questions is this, can the hair on the nape of the neck be used as a donor by way of FUE. It seems like it would be very usefull, especially if you don’t have any other donor available and using FUE, wouldn’t leave any noticeable scars. I seem to recall reading somewhere that neck nape hair receeds, so it’s not used as donor, but I’ve never seen it receed and if anything, it seems to get thicker as you age. Please, give me your opinions on this subject. kingkong

» Hello everyone,
»
» I don’t know if this questions has ever been asked before, but I couldn’t
» find an answer. My questions is this, can the hair on the nape of the neck
» be used as a donor by way of FUE. It seems like it would be very usefull,
» especially if you don’t have any other donor available and using FUE,
» wouldn’t leave any noticeable scars. I seem to recall reading somewhere
» that neck nape hair receeds, so it’s not used as donor, but I’ve never
» seen it receed and if anything, it seems to get thicker as you age.
» Please, give me your opinions on this subject. kingkong

Do a search on “nape” and you will get some results. There are quite a few results. Truth is they don’t like to touch this area unless you are a certain age. Especially for the advanced norwoods, this area tends to move up at the same time the top part moves down. In an extreme case like a NW7, take a look and see how small the wreath is that remains.

For example, take a look at the back of the father’s head on Everybody loves Raymond (Peter Boyle). His hair is longish in the back and very stiff looking, but you can still see where his nape has risen closer to the top.

» Hello everyone,
»
» I don’t know if this questions has ever been asked before, but I couldn’t
» find an answer. My questions is this, can the hair on the nape of the neck
» be used as a donor by way of FUE. It seems like it would be very usefull,
» especially if you don’t have any other donor available and using FUE,
» wouldn’t leave any noticeable scars. I seem to recall reading somewhere
» that neck nape hair receeds, so it’s not used as donor, but I’ve never
» seen it receed and if anything, it seems to get thicker as you age.
» Please, give me your opinions on this subject. kingkong

Nape hair is prone to MPB. Therefore, not used in transplant.
In patients who wish to go ahead still, it will be better to place the nape hair in the temples, hair line or the centre of the swirl.
That way, if later in life, those transplanted nape hair are lost to MPB, the look will still be natural, albeit receded.

I agree with V and Checkingin… Unfortunately, some clinics do not tell you this and use this hair without regard.

“There are quite a few results. Truth is they don’t like to touch this area unless you are a certain age.” I Agree under these circumstances and put in the right places as stated by V.

I know instances where the nape hair is utilized strictly for the hairline… because of its caliber. My opinion is watch the age, and try all other hairs first before diving into deep nape hairs. Some folks don’t have problems with losing Nape hair. Some do.