My recent work done with Dr. Woods - what I learnt

Hi guys,

Just going on two weeks ago I had my large completely bald crown area filled in and also some frontal work to lower the hairline with Dr.Woods. Over 3 days I had 1800 grafts done.

I had previously had a smaller number of grafts done on a small section of my frontal area approximately 10 years ago but still was unhappy that my crown was bare and wanted more in the frontal region.

I saw an Current Affairs type show on TV regarding how many Australians were going to places like Thailand to get cheap cosmetic surgery, which triggered a renewed interest in me to get my crown done and more added to my frontal hairline. The tv segment said how much cheaper surgery was in these countries.

With this in mind I emailed Dr. A in India for a quote on price and number of grafts needed, as well as a planned visit with Dr. Woods for a quote and price quote. With all this in mind I more or less had my eye on going to some country in Asia or India and getting mega thousands of grafts and looking like a 19yo and doing it for a fraction of normal price!

To try and shorten the story I will say that I received back a quote from Dr. A that I could get a range of grafts depending on how much hair I wanted done from 3,000 to 10,000 grafts but for my hairloss it was recommended I get 2,500 to 2,800 for the frontal area and 3,000 to 3,500 for the crown area. He didn’t give me a financial figure but from their website the first 3,000 grafts are $4 then $3.50 per graft thereafter.

With this information in mind I saw Dr Woods. In my mind before I saw him I just couldn’t figure out why Dr Woods grafts on his site seemed to be so much less than what I saw on other sites. With this in mind I told Dr. Woods about my other quotes and he nearly fell off his chair from either shock or laughter that I could be quoted up to 6,000 grafts. I also got the same reaction from his sister when I rang her regarding a quote. He explained to me that getting that many grafts from the precious donor area, from technicians would damage/ transect many hair follicles and they may extract that many follicles but at a huge cost. The cost is that many don’t survive and you are damaging limited donor area. He also said those numbers were ridiculous and to see when/if he did mine that coverage would be achieved at a much lower level and hairs would still be packed in.

I weighed all this up, and yes the hairtransplant world is super super bitchy between doctors, but I try not get involved in all the politics! I simply wanted the best result for a reasonable price. All in all I was convined by Dr Woods and the fact I had had great work done all those years ago, and I didn’t want to go overseas!!

All in all I would say Im really happy, even though theres a lot of hair growing to be done but Im really happy that the transplanted hair is all there after the scabs came off a few days ago, all happily growing with no shock loss!!

I will include some photos and update them as results keep going. Just hope this helps anyone thats searching for answers in this area since its a huge step to take to let someone perform surgery on your head and believe me you don’t want to go through the trauma of strip.

Sorry don’t know how to add photos on this forum so put them up on tinypic and just click on links below (anyone know how to put pics on thread?

good luck with your surgery man,
you saw thailand commercials and then shot off inquires to India and U.S???:lookaround: -,two doctors Dr.Woods’ loves so much! haha—im kidding take it easy bro.:wink:

now relax and enjoy the ride!

» »
»
»
» good luck with your surgery man,
» you saw thailand commercials and then shot off inquires to India and
» U.S???:lookaround: -,two doctors Dr.Woods’ loves so much! haha—im
» kidding take it easy bro.:wink:
»
» now relax and enjoy the ride!

Hahahah well lets just say theres not a lot of love lost between HT surgeons, a big happy family it is not;)

The current affairs program covered general cosmetic procedures in places like Thailand such as face resurfacing, liposuction and breast augmentation for women etc. They were quoting prices 1/3 of those in Australia which got me thinking. I did some research on the net and found Dr.A seemed the most talked about in third world countries so decided to get a quote.

Yep will relax fully when its all grown through, will enjoy not worrying about how hideous my bare crown looks in photographs lol

Hi Renster,

I have uploaded the pics for you in your post.

I sent you an email. Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Thanks.

In case people are wondering, there is a “halo” around the transplanted crown area anteriorly. I felt there was too much transitional hair there and didn’t want to destroy it i.e. scalp shock it with incisions

If this becomes a problem in the future, it will only need a few more hundred grafts.

Otherwise , the 900 grafts in the crown were packed tight, and there was little room for any more without scalp shocking the grafts you just put in

This is because the crown hair must be inserted at a “flat” angle to the horizontal, and in a radial pattern. Otherwise you look like"DENNIS THE MENACE"

So the amount of packing must be done in a more sensitive way, in order to get maximum yield and coverage. The frontal hairline angles can be much greater, up to about 60 degrees, depending on the patient, so they can be packed like sardines.

And I can see renster had a good retention, but definitely many shafts broke off in scab removal, which is normal.

And now we wait to see how many don’t shed in the coming weeks…and that percentage is unpredictable. But don’t worry. The vast majority will grow back

If high shedding occurs in the next few weeks, patients may suffer from

Shedding Hair Anxiety transitional Syndrome, or SHATS.

If psychiatrists and drug companies read this, the “SHATS” will be placed into the DSM , and Paxil or Prozac will be recommended to treat the “disorder”

So please, don’t get the “SHATS”

Keep us posted renster and thankyou for sharing

Dr Ray Woods

» In case people are wondering, there is a “halo” around the transplanted
» crown area anteriorly. I felt there was too much transitional hair there
» and didn’t want to destroy it i.e. scalp shock it with incisions
»
» If this becomes a problem in the future, it will only need a few more
» hundred grafts.
»
» Otherwise , the 900 grafts in the crown were packed tight, and there was
» little room for any more without scalp shocking the grafts you just put in
»
» This is because the crown hair must be inserted at a “flat” angle to the
» horizontal, and in a radial pattern. Otherwise you look like"DENNIS THE
» MENACE"
»
» So the amount of packing must be done in a more sensitive way, in order to
» get maximum yield and coverage. The frontal hairline angles can be much
» greater, up to about 60 degrees, depending on the patient, so they can be
» packed like sardines.
»
» And I can see renster had a good retention, but definitely many shafts
» broke off in scab removal, which is normal.
»
» And now we wait to see how many don’t shed in the coming weeks…and that
» percentage is unpredictable. But don’t worry. The vast majority will grow
» back
»
» If high shedding occurs in the next few weeks, patients may suffer from
»
» Shedding Hair Anxiety transitional Syndrome, or SHATS.
»
» If psychiatrists and drug companies read this, the “SHATS” will be placed
» into the DSM , and Paxil or Prozac will be recommended to treat the
» “disorder”
»
» So please, don’t get the “SHATS”
»
» Keep us posted renster and thankyou for sharing
»
» Dr Ray Woods

Dr. Woods what does transitional hair mean?

» Dr. Woods what does transitional hair mean?

Its the area in the zone between slick bald skin, and good strong terminal hair

It may hang around a long time, or maybe not. It all depends

But the word “transitional” also applies to transplanted hair falling out after an operation , and then the wait for regrowth

But most importantly, I needed a “T” at the end of “Shedding Hair Anxiety”

Thus to create "SHATS"tm …“applause”

Dr Ray Woods

ps I’ve watched too much southpark

» In case people are wondering, there is a “halo” around the transplanted
» crown area anteriorly. I felt there was too much transitional hair there
» and didn’t want to destroy it i.e. scalp shock it with incisions
»
» If this becomes a problem in the future, it will only need a few more
» hundred grafts.
»
» Otherwise , the 900 grafts in the crown were packed tight, and there was
» little room for any more without scalp shocking the grafts you just put in
»
» This is because the crown hair must be inserted at a “flat” angle to the
» horizontal, and in a radial pattern. Otherwise you look like"DENNIS THE
» MENACE"
»
» So the amount of packing must be done in a more sensitive way, in order to
» get maximum yield and coverage. The frontal hairline angles can be much
» greater, up to about 60 degrees, depending on the patient, so they can be
» packed like sardines.
»
» And I can see renster had a good retention, but definitely many shafts
» broke off in scab removal, which is normal.
»
» And now we wait to see how many don’t shed in the coming weeks…and that
» percentage is unpredictable. But don’t worry. The vast majority will grow
» back
»
» If high shedding occurs in the next few weeks, patients may suffer from
»
» Shedding Hair Anxiety transitional Syndrome, or SHATS.
»
» If psychiatrists and drug companies read this, the “SHATS” will be placed
» into the DSM , and Paxil or Prozac will be recommended to treat the
» “disorder”
»
» So please, don’t get the “SHATS”
»
» Keep us posted renster and thankyou for sharing
»
» Dr Ray Woods

“SHATS” too funny Dr Woods. Well yeah I have seen a couple of guys posting stages after having a hair transplant done and it does seem to come and go a bit before it finally grows in. I have been wearing a cap to work so can hide this sort of changing hair a bit!

Can understand the transitional hair bit because I know my frontal hair was like this many years ago and I think the product was Xandrox or revivogen that I applied and it completely made all this hair fall out and it never grew back, think the products were way too harsh and just made the hair that was going to fall out years later fall out right then!

Will see how the transitional area goes over time!

thanks again for the great work