My experience with Bisanga (a completely nightmare)

Hello, my name is Dani and Im a forum reader since long time ago, I calculate that about 2 years ago or so, although it was always as a reader only, since I noticed that I was loosing hair I began to search in internet for information and luckily I found this forums and others which lots of good information.
After read and read I decided to carry out my procedure with Bisanga and I want to share with you my whole experience with the dear doctor in question:

I will start from the beginning of the history, as everybody in the forums I was looking for some solution for my problem, consulting different doctors, between several options that were handled at those moments in the forums and with which I contacted, Alvi, Hasson, Bisanga,…I maintained the contact with his consulter at this moment, he informed me that HDC clinic where the doctor Bisanga was working at that time, was planning to perform a seminar in Madrid (Spain) so considering that this was a very good option to examine my case in person I reserved an appointment to do a consultation with them in person.

As I said Bisanga was the doctor who carried out the consultations along with the chairman of HDC, we passed the consultation and the doctor Bisanga said to me that at first me case was light and I looked well, I explain to him my objectives, close the first line a little bit and he agreed with me at the end and recommended to me that with 800 grafts more or less we could leave the subject resolute.

Even after his agreement I still had some doubts, despite that everything seems quite serious and professional to me I told the consulter that we could watch dates, he look in his calendar and we made a selection of those dates which was more available to me and followed ahead with that plan which was to maintain the contact through the consulter, the chairman of HDC took leave of me since he had to take care of a call and he left the office, immediately after the chairman left the office Bisanga commented to me that If were interested in to carry out a procedure by FUE the the best option to me would be than went to Brussels instead of Cyprus where the HDC clinic was located, this surprised me a lot because in any moment during the meeting it had beed spoken of Brussels, anyway at that time I thought, even better, more close.

I maintained the contact with the consulter and we decided the date for my procedure, May of 2006. The big day arrived and I was in Brussels already, I arrived the day before the procedure and after calling the consultor to confirm the address of the hotel I took a taxi and went to the hotel
Once in the hotel the consulter call me and start to explain to me that there was a misfortune, apparently the doctor had reserved a German patient for the same date than mine, and he explain me that the doctor ask me if I agree to carry out the procedure at night, I was in shock and asked to the consultor if that was normal, he tries to explain but finally he says that it was my decision since it was not my fault but a uncoordination
Between the doctor and his consultant in Germany reason why if I decided to not carry out the procedure under this circumstances he will understand perfectly and will explains to the doctor.

Finally I decided to accept the proposal and I went to the clinic about the 23 hours at night, it cost me a age to finding the clinic because there was no poster in the door and the number was not visible because there was a scaffold that covered all the faced, finally the taxi driver finds the number and I ring the bell, it did not appear no name that indicated that there was a clinic, despite a woman answer to me and I say hello, dr Bisanga?, she said something that I did not understand and opened the door, front of me was a staris that raised upwards and another one than lowered towards to some kind of cellar, doctor Bisanga will come downstairs in a while said the girl with French accent, you can wait here and she show me a waiting room of 2x2 square meters, I did not wanted to think more but everything seemed to me completely Surrealistic but I was already until the neck, after some minutes the doctor comes down with a completely sleeping face, my preoccupation increased according pass the seconds.

The doctor appears in a very amiable plan and so, he apologize for the misfortune and he says, no problem amigo, or something like that, I pary to god and hope that he knows what he does, he begins with the design of the line, after makes several designs I finally agreed one and we continue to the next step, he took photos from all the angles and begins to prepare itself.

I start to be in a completely shock because the operating room was to see it, a wood bookcase that would have 150 years, tables for the microscopes but in miserly plan, a office table full of papers and a laptop reason why I supposed that the surgery room was at the same time his office, the truth is that the preassure began to be unbearable for me, I believe that the doctor noticed and said to me again, no problem amigo and give me some tablets, I asked what they were and he said valium and antibiotics, I took them and after a moment I was already high, the doctor began with the extractions and all the process started.

We were the doctor and I alone throughout the time reason why I asked to him If nobody were going to come and he said something like this was not a problem, he was enough and laugh, me, I don’t know if it was for the high or for what but I start to laugh also completely crazy, amazing!

Well, it spent all night long and finally about 7:00 we finished, 1.050 grafts FUE in total, he gave me the post-op instructions, put some cream in the donor and gave me some products to apply during the the following days. I paid to him the remaining money that owed after the previous deposit already paid and he gave me some kind of receipt in a misery plan, I asked to him if that were a legal invoice and he said to me that there was not a problem, that it was valid as an invoice, I was completely high and I don’t pay more attention, my objective at that time was to arrive to the hotel and to rest, when I arrive to the hotel the consultant visited me in the room and asked how had gone everything, I said well its done, this is enough for now, lets see in a year.

The year passed and the result its Disappointing to me, I contacted with his new consultant since the last one leave Bisanga and I told him my feelings, he said don’t worry, don’t worry, everything will be ok, I asked how can you say that everything will be ok if Im not happy with anything related to my procedure??, he don’t know what to say, pathetic, so he told me that Taking advantage of the opportunity the Bisanga was preparing a seminar in Madrid for the last Saturday 21th I can go and doing a consultation in person qith the doctor, I accepted the proposal in order to see what they had to say to me.

I approached the hotel and I waited for a little because they were eating, the new consultant approached first to salute me, the first impression left me a little disappointed, no people, poor atmosphere for a seminar, the consultant wearing jeans in informal plan, did not occur the aspect of a professional seminar, perhaps I was badly customary since the seminars to which I have gone to this moment had carried put in a very professional atmosphere, anyway, I was there for a reason and the truth is that the rest gave me equal already.

They finished eating and all approached to see me, doctor Bisanga, another doctor, a black guy who I forget his name, another guy a certain Philip and we went to the room for consultations, I expressed to the consultant my deception with the result and the whole process in general, the consultant instead to tell me clear answers he touch me all the time in my shoulder and smiling to me, telling me do not worry, no problem and something like this, I was in such state of weariness of as much touching me and confidences with no reason, (it was the first time I saw this guy), that I began to be very upset, I believe that he caught the message and from that moment he dealt with me more serious.

All they began to examine to me, all they there were watching at my head, taking measurements, start again to do the same thing until I got tired of such kind of glance without gave me no answers I rose and said clearly to Bisanga, you will fix this!, Bisanga realized that I went serious and said to me, yes, yes, no problem, with 100 grafts we will solve this problem, I told him, I don’t care if you need 100 or 500 but you will fix this, so we conclude with this plan, repair the previous poor result.

After deep evaluation from my part of all what happened since my procedure to today, valuing the pros and the cons, I decided to do not become to do the procedure with this people even it will be for free. Now I am going to be focus, examine all the options that I have and to make a decission but what I have determined is that I do not become to be operate by Bisanga….the money, illusions,trip, expenses went to the sweepings but its ok, with once I have enough and honestly, Im not readu to repeat, the experience lived has made me to think twice before going to Brussels again.

On the other hand another thing that disappointed me so much it was to find in an Italian forum the photos of my procedure, posted there without my permission and knowledge, in adittion the consultant there, it seems to me that he have a lot of consultants but any of them know what they are talking about, that my density was of about 70 grafts per square, this is really funny since even the density wasn’t said to me by the doctor, but what make more upset was the they lie because my density place, not mention about the growth, it was far away from 70, Im not stupid.

I noticed today that even I said clearly in the Spanish forum my opposition to my photos were showed that the Italian consultor it did not concern a pepper to him and today he put the photos that the clinic took of me the last Saturday 21 during the seminary, amazing!

I hope that my experience help others and they can open their eyes.

I will show my pictures in order that you can see the result, although the clinic will show others trying to make the people believe that the result is ok, but I don’t care, Im really disappointed with the WHOLE process in general.

Thank you, my friend.

I truly hope it works it for you. I’m glad you didn’t go in for the second procedure, and that you only received 1000 grafts. Goodluck!

We are well aware of this patients concerns; he feels his result does not mirror that of the grafts placed, 1050.We have met the patient and the Dr assessed his work and maintains that for 1050 FUE he has a result that should be expected, yield, angle, growth coverage and density.

Certain aspects of a hair transplant are out of the doctors control, and reaching someone’s ultimate happiness levels is sometimes one of them. That aside we understand that we have a responsibility to him, we offered in goodwill to place a further 100 grafts for him that he accepted, but he now seems to have a change of heart. Although, again, we are happy with the result we want to ensure Dany26 understand that we don’t shy away from our responsibilities. We are willing to meet again at a time that is mutually convenient to both, we will ask a moderator from his native speaking forum if one would be willing to act as an independent witness; we will measure the yield from the 1050 grafts placed and if there is a difference above 3% then the difference will be refunded to Dany26. This offer is made in goodwill to try to address the motives of Dany26.

I have included a few pictures of before and after, taken about a week ago now.

I can see an improvement. It would be better if you can show more before pictures though, not the intra-operative pictures as it is hard to tell what his hair looked like before going for surgery.

Dany26, it’s really not bad for 1000 grafts, the hair is natual. You can argue the yield is poor but you didn’t get butchered, that s for sure.

» I can see an improvement. It would be better if you can show more before
» pictures though, not the intra-operative pictures as it is hard to tell
» what his hair looked like before going for surgery.

What do you expect ? 1000 grafts are not that many. Your hair looks fine to me. I suspect the doctor had to use single hair grafts only for the hairline or it will not look natural. Fill in the hairline with another 300-500 and you will be a happy man.

First of all thank you for the commentaries,

Im a little bit surprised, all of you guys did not mention to any of my other concerns and there is many more. You guys only made mention to my growth and as I said clearly before Im disappointed with the WHOLE process in general, maybe my English are not good enough and I did not explain myself properly, I will try again.

My concerns are not only the growth but this is one of them.

In a small procedure such this one if the growth are not complete its hard to demonstrate, specially if you select the photos with the better view and hide the worst of them.

I consider that my growth are far away than what he placed specially in the left side but anyway, Im really don’t care if you guys consider that my hair looks fine, it looks fine even before my procedure so you guys cannot know if this 1000 grafts did growth or not, I consider that most of them didn’t growth.

So, as I said before, this is only one of my concerns and there is many more such this ones:

-Why he convince me to go to Brussels to get my procedure in a “clinic” like this one in this misery plan?

-Why he did my procedure alone, at night and with no assistants?

-Why he didn’t make to me a legal invoice? -Why they treat me all the time with this poor respect?

-Why they don’t care even if I said clearly that I was disappointed to the fact that they use my pics without my permission and the day after they put a new pics on the forum again?, they don’t respect me nothing and this is the proof.

-Why they lie in the other forums saying that my density was 70 grafts per square if this is completely false?

This is some of my concerns, you can read again my post and maybe you will address my motives, it is easy, a 7 year old boy can do without any problem, I don’t understand how it is so hard for you guys.

What I expected was not only a full growth but more professionalism, a high standard class procedure and a doctor working on me with the assistance of his team, maybe my expectations was too high but I don’t think so.

» First of all thank you for the commentaries,
»
» Im a little bit surprised, all of you guys did not mention to any of my
» other concerns and there is many more. You guys only made mention to my
» growth and as I said clearly before Im disappointed with the WHOLE process
» in general, maybe my English are not good enough and I did not explain
» myself properly, I will try again.
»
» My concerns are not only the growth but this is one of them.
»
» In a small procedure such this one if the growth are not complete its hard
» to demonstrate, specially if you select the photos with the better view and
» hide the worst of them.
»
» I consider that my growth are far away than what he placed specially in
» the left side but anyway, Im really don’t care if you guys consider that
» my hair looks fine, it looks fine even before my procedure so you guys
» cannot know if this 1000 grafts did growth or not, I consider that most of
» them didn’t growth.
»
» So, as I said before, this is only one of my concerns and there is many
» more such this ones:
»
» -Why he convince me to go to Brussels to get my procedure in a “clinic”
» like this one in this misery plan?
»
» -Why he did my procedure alone, at night and with no assistants?
»
» -Why he didn’t make to me a legal invoice? -Why they treat me all the
» time with this poor respect?
»
» -Why they don’t care even if I said clearly that I was disappointed to the
» fact that they use my pics without my permission and the day after they put
» a new pics on the forum again?, they don’t respect me nothing and this is
» the proof.
»
» -Why they lie in the other forums saying that my density was 70 grafts per
» square if this is completely false?
»
» This is some of my concerns, you can read again my post and maybe you will
» address my motives, it is easy, a 7 year old boy can do without any
» problem, I don’t understand how it is so hard for you guys.
»
» What I expected was not only a full growth but more professionalism, a
» high standard class procedure and a doctor working on me with the
» assistance of his team, maybe my expectations was too high but I don’t
» think so.

damn you got a good result. and now you complain about their un-professionalism? why do you care? your hair is for life, that was only a one-time experience.

and you result looks to me as if it could be 70 grafts /cm² . maybe you didnt do your research? 70 grafts is less than normal density. even its still thick for a hair transplant its less than normal density.

i think the clinic acts fair now, i cant say though how they acted in the past and if they only do it now coz you posted it in this forum.

You have every reason to be upset. It is unprofessional in many aspects. Where were you supposed to go for the surgery before they switched you to Brussels ?

» if one would be willing to act as an independent witness; we will measure
» the yield from the 1050 grafts placed and if there is a difference above
» 3% then the difference will be refunded to Dany26. This offer is made in
» goodwill to try to address the motives of Dany26.

That’s very nice but it’s easier said than done. I ask this question all the time. If he was completely bald that would be easy, but he is not. How can you distinguish the transplant hairs from his own hair?

Dany26, I encourage you with your post, and I am sorry that you are dissatisfied with your experience.

Although I agree that your result is good for 1000 grafts based on the pictures posted by Bisanga’s clinic, you bring up some great points that are worth discussing.

Even if you go to a good, reputable surgeon, how necessary is it to have knowledgeable, ethical staff to handle your scheduling, consults, correspondance, accounting, etc?

How important is it to have a professional environment for surgical and consultation purposes?

How can we, as an industry, come up with better ways of showing growth? Before and after pictures can be easily manipulated (not that I think Bisanga is guilty of this), and growth is subjective rather than quantitative.

Is it possible that this is a case of unrealistic expectations, was the patient ill-informed, or is it a little bit of both?

The fact that Bisanga worked alone does not necessarily compromise the result or quality of the surgery, but what about the comfort of the patient as well as the doctor? Surely assistance would be greatly appreciated by both. At a time where there are several capable and able surgeons to choose from, should these factors contribute to a patient’s ultimate decision?

I think that it is wrong that Dany26’s pictures were used without his consent. Could this be due to the lack of staff, or lack of qualified staff?

I respect the opinions of the members of this forum, and I look forward to hearing them. How vital is qualified, able staff even when the surgeon is capable and has superior track record?

I am not a doctor. I am a surgical tech trained in hair transplant. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Mwamba. My advice is not medical advice.

» I think that it is wrong that Dany26’s pictures were used without his
» consent. Could this be due to the lack of staff, or lack of qualified
» staff?

For the record,

Dany26 did consent to the pubication or use of his pictures, he signed to this fact in a sub section of his consent form, that had to be initialed separately from the signature for the rest of the document.Why would anyone knowingly use someones picures without permission especially if they had expressed a deep unwillingness. If Dany26 gives his permission we are willing to publish this section of the consent form, it would not reveal his identity as it is only his initials, but that is up to Dany26.

»
» As I said Bisanga was the doctor who carried out the consultations along
» with the chairman of HDC,
»
the chairman
» of HDC took leave of me since he had to take care of a call and he left the
» office, immediately after the chairman left the office Bisanga commented to
» me that If were interested in to carry out a procedure by FUE the the best
» option to me would be than went to Brussels instead of Cyprus where the
» HDC clinic was located, this surprised me a lot because in any moment
» during the meeting it had beed spoken of Brussels,

The case is that Dr. Bisanga with HDC Clinic was doing Consultations in a five star Hotel in Madrid with all expenses paid by HDC. The expanses included flights, accommodation, expenses on a seminar room and an extra consultation room, transport, meals, drinks etc.

At this visit the chairman of HDC was there to show the concern of the Clinic to the Spanish Market. As soon as he walked out of the room during the Consultation of this patient, Dr. Bisanga offered to the patient to go to Brussels so that the money would be paid directly to him and not to the Clinic. HDC Clinic is situated in Cyprus and do not have a branch in Brussels.

Well, it seems that what goes around comes around.

The impression is the dr. booked this patient, the patient is not booked/scheduled by the doctor. In this case the booking was made by a current, then former and now again current member of HDC staff. At the time of this case he was advising patients for HDC. He was the only person in continuous contact with the patient prior to his surgery and after, and he was responsible for making the booking, not the dr. Within this time the advisor also decided to have a procedure in Brussels, whilst employed by HDC. This was confirmed by email in February to us by Dany26;

“Estuve muy ligado a …………………, y a excepción de los últimos acontecimientos él fue en todo momento mi persona de contacto, ya que me habia operado el
mismo dia que él y conocia todos los detalles de mi operación.”

Translated as

“MY LINKAGE WITH ………………………. WAS BIG,HE WAS MY CONTACT PERSON IN EVERY MOMENT, SINCE MY PROCEDURE WAS MADE THE SAME DAY THAN HIS, AND HE KNEW ALL THE DETAILS OF MY SURGERY”

A little later the advisor moved from HDC and then returned to them after a few months; it was after his return to HDC that the patient contacted us with his concerns, prior to that we had no direct contact with the patient, and were never alerted by the advisor that the patient maybe unhappy in any way.

From Dany26 making direct contact with us we ensured continuous contact, we tried to address his concerns and asked for pictures on numerous occasions. After approx. 3 months Dany26 sent pictures; unfortunately they were blurred and it was not possible to give him a firm conclusion; if he gives permission we will publish them. Because of the lack of quality it was agreed that we would meet in person at the Seminar, which we did.

We have written to Dany26 since his posts here and offered to meet him again; he declined the offer, which is obviously his right. We stand by the offers we have made to him, and advised that the door is never closed. Dany26 has been very eloquent in his argument, and no clinic or doctor likes to have unhappy patients, be the unhappiness perceived or real. For another clinic to comment on the potential ethics of another is a little cheap, and not really helpful or in the benefit of the patient, who is obviously upset.

We wanted to include a PDF copy of thread Dany26 is writing in his native language on another forum, unfortunately it will not upload. I have sent it Hairsite Admin for his help, in the meantime here is the link
http://foro.ganarpelo.org/viewtopic.php?t=16041

Many comments are similar to here regarding his growth and result, but also covers other aspects of this case that have not been mentioned here.

» The impression is the dr. booked this patient, the patient is not
» booked/scheduled by the doctor. In this case the booking was made by a
» current, then former and now again current member of HDC staff. At the
» time of this case he was advising patients for HDC. He was the only person
» in continuous contact with the patient prior to his surgery and after, and
» he was responsible for making the booking, not the dr. Within this time
» the advisor also decided to have a procedure in Brussels, whilst employed
» by HDC. This was confirmed by email in February to us by Dany26;
»
» “Estuve muy ligado a …………………, y a excepción de los últimos acontecimientos
» él fue en todo momento mi persona de contacto, ya que me habia operado el
» mismo dia que él y conocia todos los detalles de mi operación.”
»
» Translated as
»
» “MY LINKAGE WITH ………………………. WAS BIG,HE WAS MY CONTACT PERSON IN EVERY
» MOMENT, SINCE MY PROCEDURE WAS MADE THE SAME DAY THAN HIS, AND HE KNEW ALL
» THE DETAILS OF MY SURGERY”
»
» A little later the advisor moved from HDC and then returned to them after
» a few months; it was after his return to HDC that the patient contacted us
» with his concerns, prior to that we had no direct contact with the patient,
» and were never alerted by the advisor that the patient maybe unhappy in any
» way.
»
» From Dany26 making direct contact with us we ensured continuous contact,
» we tried to address his concerns and asked for pictures on numerous
» occasions. After approx. 3 months Dany26 sent pictures; unfortunately they
» were blurred and it was not possible to give him a firm conclusion; if he
» gives permission we will publish them. Because of the lack of quality it
» was agreed that we would meet in person at the Seminar, which we did.
»
» We have written to Dany26 since his posts here and offered to meet him
» again; he declined the offer, which is obviously his right. We stand by
» the offers we have made to him, and advised that the door is never closed.
» Dany26 has been very eloquent in his argument, and no clinic or doctor
» likes to have unhappy patients, be the unhappiness perceived or real. For
» another clinic to comment on the potential ethics of another is a little
» cheap, and not really helpful or in the benefit of the patient, who is
» obviously upset.
»
» We wanted to include a PDF copy of thread Dany26 is writing in his native
» language on another forum, unfortunately it will not upload. I have sent
» it Hairsite Admin for his help, in the meantime here is the link
» http://foro.ganarpelo.org/viewtopic.php?t=16041
»
» Many comments are similar to here regarding his growth and result, but
» also covers other aspects of this case that have not been mentioned here.

It is unacceptable the misleading and manipulation of the forum member here and in other forums done by the BHR clinic.

I cannot believe how they have the face to said that it was my fault to book the patient to Brussels instead to HDC clinic who I was working for, I have more values than some other people and when I work for someone I dont like to be false with them.

Thats why I clearly said to BHR clinic face to face, the person who writes the post above, the truth is only one and you cannot change it, it is what it is. This email was sent to me by Bisanga and he clearly admit that he was booking patients to Brussels taking advantage of the facilities provided by the HDC clinic.

----- Original Message -----
To: marcos lopez martinez
Cc: emorane dr lupanzula ; phil bell
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 11:19 AM

*The second and most personnal point is that Marcos you went ahead and told Phil that you DO NOT TRUST ME BECAUSE OF MADRID SEMINARS WITH HDC WHEN I WANTED TO BOOK PATIENTS TO BRUSSELS ! I never force you to do

You dear forum members can extract your own conclusions, he lie to me when he said that he never force me, if jump to the patient in front of me is not force me then I dont know what it is, he continue lie to the forum members and he try to discredit me with all his face.

Anyway, this is only one of the lots of reasons why I decided to leave Bisanga and associates.