My Donor Doubling Experience at Dr Nigams\' clinic

Hey all,

Bear with me, this is quite a long post…

I’m a brand new member on this forum and will disclose that I’m a final year caucasian medical student from Africa.

I have read so many posts that were written in terms of the credibility of Dr. Nigam, some very pessimistic and some very encouraging. Despite some of the critique on the forums I convinced myself to make the plunge to go to Mumbai to meet Dr. Nigam in person… and that is exactly what I did. (I will describe what going to Mumbai is like… if you are interested?)

I have been a hair loss sufferer myself for the past 6 years and fully understand the emotional implications thereof; being affected by the androgenic alopecia is nothing short of torturous. I have tried most products out there and have done endless research on ways to tackle the problem and yes, obtained some results, but unfortunately, nothing worth boasting about. That’s exactly why I started planning a journey to India, not only for meeting Dr. Nigam but also for receiving treatment myself. Accordingly, I am currently in Mumbai and busy with treatment procedures provided at Dr. Nigams’ clinic!

I’ll be honest in admitting that I came to India with a lot of doubts, but I’m on a quest for the truth and will hopefully be able to establish the legitimacy of Dr. Nigam over the course of a couple of months by virtue of my treatment results.

I fortunately can tell you that quite a few before pictures were taken that I hopefully will be able to upload soon. After some time, we can compare the before and after pictures and see if the treatment was any good. They are taking pics everyday so you one can monitor the immediate progress and healing.

I arrived in Mumbai on the 3rd of November and had gone to Dr. Nigams’ clinic for the first time on the 4th of November. Dr. Nigam politely received me on the first day and established that I’m a candidate for “De Novo Hair Doubling”. Without much delay my treatment was initiated the next day. I received 700 follicles on day one, 750 on day two and received roughly 600 odd today as well.

Let me elaborate about my experience at the clinic… Dr. Nigam himself is really compassionate, friendly, caring and open person. I was able to ask him any question I felt was applicable and he responded as well as he could without ridiculous claims. He allowed me to have a look at his wall of certificates/ qualifications and said I’m more than welcome to enquire about anything if I feel the need to do as such.

In terms of the whole picture issue, I had the awesome luck of meeting one of the patients for which the before and after pictures were not clear and will confirm it is the same patient. I also ran my fingers across the the tattoo markings of one patients’ head with newly grown hair - quite impressive. (This is the patient that is seen on the website). But, let me not only focus on the positive, I also met another patient whom I approached about results form his treatment. He immediately told me that the hair transplantation is good but stem cell therapy is unsatisfactory, which of course, was quite discouraging to hear. I thought it well to address Dr. Nigam about it. He explained that stem cell therapy alone is not a definite cure for everybody, some respond to it while others don’t, without being defensive about it.

On the same day, I was presented with yet another patient who’s head was covered by relatively thin hair, but regardless, had coverage. I took the opportunity to ask him about his results. He surprising told me he went to countless clinics before, never receiving any results, even had an unsatisfactory FUT, but after coming to this clinic and receiving treatment, things improved dramatically and he has regrown most of his mane, even though the added hair is still quite thin. I’ll have to admit, I was quite amped to hear about this, but I will still enquire about more “before photos” in order for me to surely say that the results were gained from Dr. Nigams clinic.

What I can say that dr. Nigam is absolutely meticulous about quality of care, so by that I’m very impressed. During the procedure he’ll check that everything is done well and that you are comfortable. He convincingly told me that at least 3500 graft hair follicles of my donor area will regrow after the extraction of about 5000 grafts. He is using PRP therapy (platelet rich plasma), Dermal papilla cells, growth factors (i.e wnt3a?), and ECM - pretty cool, that much I can tell you. I will still look at the lab and everything later.

Even though I’m immensely impressed by what I have seen thus far, let’s not get carried away, results will speak for themselves and embrace the truth, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed in the hope for good regrowth. I’m looking forward on sharing my experience with you, if you are interested?

I’m going to be in Mumbai up until the 22nd of Nov, so please ask questions if you want to and I’ll try and find some answers. I hope I respond well, I’m usually not so good at following through with these kind of things, but I’ll try and give it a go.

Let the journey begin!!

It’s so good! But where are your photos?

We need pics…

Ok great, of course you need pics, I’ll still provide some more as I get time.

The before photos were taken at Dr. Nigams’ after my hair was shaved quite a bit. The ones after the procedure I took myself. By far, the most important point of interest for myself is the donor area, because this is what is said to distinguish Dr. Nigams treatment results from the masses. The transformation in the recipient area will depict how many of the fue grafts have survived and how well the transplant was done in terms of coverage and natural appeal. This will take some time still as well. I will also post a before pic or two of my vertex area for comparative purposes.

Accordingly, I will be diverting extreme attention towards the donor area, hence making it possible to see if regrowth will be possible as claimed. The hair around my ears are unfortunately not the most dense you can imagine, so it’s a bit of a bummer - nothing serious though. I’m allegedly also a but unlucky in the sense that most of my grafts contain between 1 and 2 hair strands instead of 3 and 4, but I think this is the case with most people anyway. On the upside, my density is ranging from 60 to 70 be cm2, which I think, is quite satisfactory. (Normal average about 50)

Before Pictures Top, After Pictures Below:

After Pictures: (Please note, these grafts were only used to establish the hairline, the rest will be inserted today - I hope). The after pics were taken less than 1 hour after the procedure. The healing is very impressive as the inflammation very quickly subsides after the insertion of the grafts. The tenderness after the procedure is luckily very short lived as well.

The donor area is treated vigorously with growth factors and PRP to enhance healing and regeneration. I have already received one shot of stem cells. Plans are currently that I will be having another shot of stem cells in January and one some time later during next year. As of now, I’m receiving IV antibiotics during the procedures, and am supplied with with NSAIDs for residual pain and inflammation.

Feel free to ask questions. Please comment.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by TeamPlayer[/postedby]

Feel free to ask questions. Please comment.[/quote]

I’d be interested to know what the costs are for the patient. Good luck !

The cost for myself including taxes was in excess of U$10000. The follow up is very good though.

Thanks TP, hope it goes well (no pun intended:))

An update on my progress… At this stage, I’m about halfway done with the procedure; the clinic is very busy (about 6-7 patients per day). I will still post a pic of my vertex ASAP so that that it can also ultimately be compared with the final result.

The experience at this clinic is still very positive and the healing is great. I met an Indian lady from Mumbai that has managed to successfully grow some hair after application of stem cell, with result getting progressively better.

Perhaps the only worry that I’m having is that the clinic is too busy and therefor I’m now thinking there’s a possibility that my procedure will be detectable by the time that I’m going to my country… Nevertheless, I will update what happened today. In the evening.

Things were very busy today at the clinic, but an extra O.T. was organised for myself and they proceeded with 500 grafts which were used for contributing towards the hairline, specifically my anatomical left hand side.

This is a pic that I took tonight (about 3 hours after the procedure).

This is what the donor area looked like today before the procedure, hence, after one day of healing.

Here is the pic that I said I will send about my crown, with diffuse thinning. My hair is damp here.

These are some links of pics pertaining to a patient for which there is some unclarity about, in terms of whether it is the same patient or not. Larger parts of the face are being depicted by these.

http://drnigams.net/images/GL/10-8-2013/Large/1.jpg
http://drnigams.net/images/GL/8-11/Large/1.jpg
http://drnigams.net/images/GL/8-11/Large/3.JPG
http://drnigams.net/images/GL/8-11/Large/4.JPG
http://drnigams.net/images/GL/8-11/Large/6.JPG

I have my hopes up for getting my hairline completely finished of tomorrow. Dr. Nigam and I have been pondering on what will be the best hairline with regards to my facial characteristic and shape. It’s an interesting challenge.

Let see how all goes.

But I ask: It’s so difficult for you (Nigam & Co) make good pics?

I mean, you knowed that the photos are a lot important but they are always very very poor!

Without good pics, how can we estimate the donor?

Please, look the differences between these photos:

Nigam shill.

I’m guessing you’re South African. Great. That means you’re also an untold genius to be in your last year of medical school, given the anti-white sentiments in post-apartheid South Africa.

Unfortunately, this should strike anyone as suspicious. Your command of English is incredibly poor for what should be your native language. Rather, the syntax reads much more similarly to Indian posters we’ve seen.

That’s a shame. This forum aches for a legitimate donor doubling experience.

Even if we assume you’re not an untold genius, which is highly likely given the syntax observations, you’re still purportedly in your last year of medical school. It’s odd you’d not only elect to undergo a cosmetic surgery devoid of peer review, but you’d also pay over $10000 for such an opportunity when proven, peer reviewed surgeries exist within the same price range.

People, save your money. Ignore this farce and invest your hard-earned dollars in reputable doctors with proven techniques. Your money and health are valuable; do not risk both on a probable failure.

Flynn and Noyznarcos, I appreciate your scrutiny, even though I think it’s unnecessarily harsh and often not applicable at times. I only sympathise by virtue of being aware of the battle one faces during the process of androgenic alopecia. It’s overt that some folk are out to reducible the work of Dr. Nigam without even knowing him or even any of his patients.

I definitely am not a genius but an individual who desperately seeks a permanent means of treatment for my hair loss. I have no objection against the fact that some of the pictures I posted were horrible, but please note, those were just quick phone snaps taken whilst being at the clinic or when I arrived at the hotel in the evening. I have more pictures which I attempted to attach in this post, but the undertaking was to no avail as the proportions of the images are quite gigantic. I will discuss this matter with Dr. Nigam in due course.

Please have one fact straight, I’m definitely not participating in these forums for my own benefit or selfish gains. I previously wished I could follow through with someone else’s progress at Dr. Nigams clinic, but later this seemed like an impossible venture and consequently I embarked on doing it myself. I will refrain from taking quick pics to depict healing/ swelling, etc. as they seem to fall short of your standards.

At this stage, I DO NOT endorse Dr. Nigams’ procedures, but can strictly comment on my experience at the clinic in terms general treatment modalities, not pertaining to procedure results. I have been treated exceptionally well as a patient and have seen both promising and non-promising results from other patients; this much I can say. Unfortunately, treating hair loss is vastly difficult, and curing it is impossible with any other medical aid to our disposal today. That brings me to the question, why do you think I came all the way to India? I understand the pathogenesis of hair loss relatively well and am continually impressed by the approaches provided at the clinic, especially when taking into consideration that most of the interventions are reinforced by sound scientific data. Nevertheless, now it’s a matter of seeing how these manifest and translate clinically. You have to really get your hopes up with me in that this turns out well, as there are very few feasible alternatives to the problem we’re facing, in my opinion, besides regular FUE and Dr. Gho’s work.

I will again ask the naysayers to spare criticism where’s deemed undue. I seek intelligent, unbiased and scientific contributions in terms of forum posts that will ultimately be of aid to other forum readers. I will share my results in months to come and you will be able to track the progress closely.

After that clarification, let me expand on my immediate situation:

My hairline was not finished yesterday as the density is now odd 40, which is rather less than satisfactory. Dr. Mwmaba will be joining to Dr. Nigams clinic transiently on the 20th and will then contribute to the finalisation of my hairline with an additional 750 grafts which will rock up the density substantially.

It was recommended that a 1000 are yet to be implanted into my vertex/ crown area, with an additional 500 bilaterally on the both sides, posterior to the sideburns.

I once again regret that I cannot attach the images which I received from the clinic.

On a final note, Flynn, again, I sincerely do not appreciate your misbegotten remarks but am biased to believe that you, like many other hair loss suffers out there, are frustrated and feel devoid of any hope and in great need of conforming answers. Hang in there, we will shed light on the matter. My review will be unmistakably honest with a true, holistic reflection of my results. My quest for treating and reversing androgenic alopecia is unremitting, that I can assure you.

I’m considering making myself available for skype interactions if anyone is interested… Let me know…

Regards

I quickly skimmed through my reply and found a syntactic error and decided to rectify it before receiving another dismaying comment…

Flynn and Noyznarcos, I appreciate your scrutiny, even though I think it’s unnecessarily harsh and often not applicable at times. I only sympathise by virtue of being aware of the battle one faces during the process of androgenic alopecia. It’s overt that some folk are out to reducible the work of Dr. Nigam without even knowing him or even any of his patients.

I definitely am not a genius but an individual who desperately seeks a permanent means of treatment for my hair loss. I have no objection against the fact that some of the pictures I posted were horrible, but please note, those were just quick phone snaps taken whilst being at the clinic or when I arrived at the hotel in the evening. I have more pictures which I attempted to attach in this post, but the undertaking was to no avail as the proportions of the images are quite gigantic. I will discuss this matter with Dr. Nigam in due course.

Please have one fact straight, I’m definitely not participating in these forums for my own benefit or selfish gains. I previously wished I could follow through with someone else’s progress at Dr. Nigams clinic, but later this seemed like an impossible venture and consequently I embarked on doing it myself. I will refrain from taking quick pics to depict healing/ swelling, etc. as they seem to fall short of your standards.

At this stage, I DO NOT endorse Dr. Nigams’ procedures, but can strictly comment on my experience at the clinic in terms general treatment modalities, not pertaining to procedure results. I have been treated exceptionally well as a patient and have seen both promising and non-promising results from other patients; this much I can say. Unfortunately, treating hair loss is vastly difficult, and curing it is impossible with any other medical aid to our disposal today. That brings me to the question, why do you think I came all the way to India? I understand the pathogenesis of hair loss relatively well and am continually impressed by the approaches provided at the clinic, especially when taking into consideration that most of the interventions are reinforced by sound scientific data. Nevertheless, now it’s a matter of seeing how these manifest and translate clinically. You have to really get your hopes up with me in that this turns out well, as there are very few feasible alternatives to the problem we’re facing, in my opinion, besides regular FUE and Dr. Gho’s work.

I will again ask the naysayers to spare criticism where it is deemed undue. I seek intellectual, unbiased and scientific contributions in terms of forum posts that will ultimately be of aid to other forum readers. I will share my results in months to come and you will be able to track the progress closely.

After that clarification, let me expand on my immediate situation:

My hairline was not finished yesterday as the density is now odd 40, which is rather less than satisfactory. Dr. Mwmaba will be joining to Dr. Nigams clinic transiently on the 20th and will then contribute to the finalisation of my hairline with an additional 750 grafts which will rock up the density substantially.

It was recommended that a 1000 are yet to be implanted into my vertex/ crown area, with an additional 500 bilaterally on the both sides, posterior to the sideburns.

I once again regret that I cannot attach the images which I received from the clinic.

On a final note, Flynn, again, I sincerely do not appreciate your misbegotten remarks but am biased to believe that you, like many other hair loss suffers out there, are frustrated and feel devoid of any hope and in great need of conforming answers. Hang in there, we will shed light on the matter. My review will be unmistakably honest with a true, holistic reflection of my results. My quest for treating and reversing androgenic alopecia is unremitting, that I can assure you.

I’m considering making myself available for skype interactions if anyone is interested… Let me know…

Regards

Hehe. I can’t say for sure you’re a Nigam shill but your posts have it written all over them. The way you talk about everything is so different from what I hear from the other patients. They tell me Nigam behaves extremely unprofessional, is rude to his own staff, constantly shouting at them and that his office looks like a boiler room operation. And those certifcates on the wall that you mentioned: you do realize they’re all fake, right, like I’ve proven in the 5th post of this thread: http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-124794-page-0-category-1-order-last_answer-descasc-DESC.html (see “On deception with certificates” )

And you do know that his own doubling experiment failed and that it looks like he killed all hair in Wesley’s donor ? I think the same might happen to you. Best case, you paid 10k usd for a very mediocre FUE. And then take a good look at your contract where it states you have to wait 12 months for your money back. Why do you think ALL patients ‘magically’ disappear from the forums ? They’re all waiting for their money back man (which of course will never happen anyway, somebody who steals your money never will pay it back voluntarily), so they cant speak freely. Nigam has them by their balls. Sorry, but you’ve been sc*mmed, your money is gone and possibly your donor too. Next time do some more research before making such a step.

Lindo, this will perhaps explain why my posts are different. I’m a very optimistic person, making me prone to neglect focussing on minor imperfections. It’s sensible that some folk aren’t satisfied with some aspects at Nigams’ clinic, especially compared to international standards. Yet, you will be surprised as to how different things are in Mumbai - nothing really is 'Top notch" based on my experiences, besides some of their shopping centres that are relatively impressive. Let me not digress. Taking this into consideration, things are surely above Indian par at his premises. lol

I, for one, couldn’t care less about how friendly Dr. Nigam greets his staff members and how wide he smiles when he meets his patients. What is room for improvement in terms of professionalism going to aid me? At times I noticed it was difficult for staff members to comprehend what I was asking, leaving some questions unanswered. This I thought was somewhat of a concern. Dr. Nigams’ English isn’t bad though, so he was able to respond to questions well.

I still have no regrets for going there, I did ample research before I packed my bags. It seems as though I was treated exceptionally well then, if others had such terrible experience? When dr. Nigam was nearby, he always asked if I had any pain, and when some pain was elicited, he swiftly ordered for more anaesthesia. I even received a leg massage once. I would not have bothered mentioning these things, but am doing as such to depict that not everybody is treated in such a horrendous way as you are emphasising.

Holistically, I have no concerns for non-remarkable positive or negative attributes to his clinic, I’m in it for the grounded hope of a full head of hair with long lasting results. I care about details like donor regeneration, graft survival, graft placement (with regards to angulation/ curvature of hair strands and consequent ability to style) and whether it is going to be an overall aesthetically pleasing result. I anxiously hope I won’t be disappointed in any of these facets. Don’t be pessimistic about nonsense, please.

Thus far, very few grafts have shed in the recipient area, which is nice. On the downside, I had my fair share of pruritus a few days ago, which was only partially relieved by antihistamines.

Your response was very reasonable though. Cheers

But are there not photos yet? It’s so ridiculous!!!

After one month can’t you post the only important thing that we need?!?!

Go to sell snake oil on other place, please!

This is Dr (???) Nigam!!!

I’m beginning to think some individuals are recruited to deliberately appose everything related to Dr. Nigam. Think I have good reason for being a bit suspicious…

Anyway, Noyznarcos, thought I’d quickly add some pics before you’re going to have an aneurysm.

These were taken on the 22nd of Nov. I struggle to see the significance thereof. A month; you’re surprised that I haven’t added an image in a months’ time?? Obviously there will be nothing or very little of note at this stage. Would you have preferred a daily pic?

My treatment involves the following agents: PRP (full and mini), ECM, growth factors, DP cells (fresh), DP cells (3D in Jan), Stem cells (2 shots; next in Jan).

I’m still applying ECM (in Emu oil), Growth factors and Mira oil (google it). I’m considering derma rolling before applying ECM and growth factors for enhanced efficacy at a later stage.

I’ll be honest, at this stage I’m feeling compelled to update only in 6 mo time, or perhaps drop the forum in its entirety, since I’m not gaining anything from it anyway. Be blessed.

best of luck,

I really hope your donor doubling is a success…

on a side note, it would only be fair if you updated the forum members on your progress, even if its only in 6 months. Afterall, I take it you only took notice of Dr Nigam through the forums, so you’ve already benefitted from them.

Happy healing, hope to hear from you and best of luck!

Regards,
hairman2

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by TeamPlayer[/postedby]
I’m beginning to think some individuals are recruited to deliberately appose everything related to Dr. Nigam. Think I have good reason for being a bit suspicious…

Anyway, Noyznarcos, thought I’d quickly add some pics before you’re going to have an aneurysm.

These were taken on the 22nd of Nov. I struggle to see the significance thereof. A month; you’re surprised that I haven’t added an image in a months’ time?? Obviously there will be nothing or very little of note at this stage. Would you have preferred a daily pic?

My treatment involves the following agents: PRP (full and mini), ECM, growth factors, DP cells (fresh), DP cells (3D in Jan), Stem cells (2 shots; next in Jan).

I’m still applying ECM (in Emu oil), Growth factors and Mira oil (google it). I’m considering derma rolling before applying ECM and growth factors for enhanced efficacy at a later stage.

I’ll be honest, at this stage I’m feeling compelled to update only in 6 mo time, or perhaps drop the forum in its entirety, since I’m not gaining anything from it anyway. Be blessed.[/quote]

Thanks hairman2, I appreciate it!