Longevity Drug From Russian Researcher - Skulachev Ions (new thread)

The old Skulashev thread (together with Holocaust discussion), is in the Offtopic forum:

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-73489-page-0-category-7-order-last_answer.html

I will copy in this new thread the most relevant info:

Info provided by Tuboruss:
Skulashev’s official website:
http://en.skq-project.ru/

Info provided by Sceptic:
In pubmed, there are 365 scientific publications (since 1959), related to Skulashev. Most of them are accessible free of charge:

PubMed
(search for Skulachev)

posted by Sceptic, 05.10.2010, 14:45

“In the fungus Podospora anserina, the crustacean Ceriodaphnia affinis, drosophila, and mice, SkQ1 prolonged lifespan, being especially effective at early and middle stages of aging. In mammals, the effect of SkQs on aging was accompanied by inhibition of development of such age-related diseases and traits as cataract, retinopathy, glaucoma, balding, canities, osteoporosis, involution of the thymus, anemia, disappearance of estrous cycles in females and libido in males, peroxidation of lipids and proteins, etc”

OMG, it says balding :wink:
<<<

posted by Spanish Dude, 07.10.2010, 00:25
(edited by Spanish Dude on 07.10.2010, 00:35)

Thanks Sceptic.
Very interesting.

Quote dailymail:

But while many may dismiss the 69-year-old’s claims as outlandish, his findings have been backed up by the international scientific community including Nobel prize winner Dr Gunter Blobel.

Dr Blobel from Rockefeller University said: 'It has been shown that oxidative damage is huge. But we do not have an anti-oxidant of the type that Professor Skulachev has developed.

‘He is clearly the world’s best bio-chemist and bio-energetic scientist.’
<<<

We should keep an eye on this.
They plan to do clinical trials on humans.

But note that efficacy varies wildly from mice to rats, so we don’t know what will happen to humans.

quote:

The life time of such mice increased by one third on average as compared to that of the reference group mice. Even more demonstrative are experiments with mutant rats, where accelerated ageing - progeria - was observed. SkQ prolonged their life span by three times, besides, it cured them from a large number of senile diseases. They include infarctions, strokes, osteoporosis, hemogram abnomality, reproductive system disorders, behavior change, visual impairment.
<<<

also there is a big red flag here:
quote dailymail:

However, he said thousands of people have registered to take part in human trials and that the treatment will be available after around two more years of clinical testing.
<<<

So human trials have not even started, but they plan to launch it in two years??? wtf?

Posted by Dogstar:
Be very careful using the Daily Mail as a source, they are notorious for
sensationalising stories.

Posted by SD:
thanks Dogstar. Then we should consider it “available in 5 years if everything goes well”.

Note that in the article, first it says “Skulachev”, but at the end it says “Skulachav”.

“Skulachav” must be a typo, because it returns almost no results.
But Skulachev has not even an entry in the Wikipedia.

Posted by Sceptic:

Yes, he hasn’t but :

If you go to pubmed, you can see that he has a lot of articles, since…1959!!
We will see, I think it could be interesting even though it only had a moderate effect on aging

Posted by SD:
Thanks Sceptic for the tip.
I have just been there:

(search for Skulachev)

He has participated in 365 scientific articles, since 1959.
And most of them are available to read free of charge.

Now I have no time to look at them, but it looks impressive. I don’t think this is a charlatan of the kind we all know. (ahem).

Posted by Turboruss:
It has an entry in wiki in russian. Maybe you don’t know, but we, russians, use cyrillic alphabet.

and here is his personal site about aging

Posted by SD:
Here is the english version of Skulashev’s website:
http://en.skq-project.ru/

If this is even half true, there are broad reaching implications to this that would go far beyond just hair loss.

Also does Russia even have an FDA equivalent? My guess is they’re more lenient on these sorts of things.

You need to account that other countries are very different when it comes to stuff like this, the FDA has a lot of red tape and hoops to jump through, in countries like Russia and India I think it’s more like “OK, well take 2 or 3 years and test it out, if there’s no big side effects, you can sell it” type of thing, lol.

I oviously don’t know if Skulashev is a quack or not.
But he is researching and publishing hundreds of papers since 40 years ago.
Papers are available free of charge for everyone to check.
And he has been vouched by Nobel prize laureate Günter Blobel.
Skulashev claims that he himself has cured his cataracts in one eye with just eye-drops.
And he is doing trials. In russia, I supposse. I don’t know how reliable are these. But better than nothing, that is for sure.

BTW, nobel prize Günter Blobel witnessed the bombing of Dresden by Allied bombers in WW2:

QUOTE:

Blobel was born in Waltersdorf in the Prussian Province of Lower Silesia. In January 1945 his family fled from native Silesia from the advancing Red Army. On their way to the West they passed through the beautiful old city of Dresden, which left deep impressions in the young boy. Only days after their stay Dresden was destroyed in the catastrophic air bombing between 13 February and 15 February 1945. The family could witness this event some 30 kilometers away and the young boy again was deeply impressed by the red night sky reflecting the firestorm in the burning city. But war was still not at its end and Blobel’s 19-year-old sister was some weeks later killed in an (allied) air attack on a train she was travelling in and buried in a mass grave.

Dr. Blobel, who recalled witnessing the bombing of Dresden as a child, said he was donating most of the $960,000 in prize money to the Friends of Dresden, an independent American group that supports the reconstruction, restoration and preservation of Dresden’s artistic and architectural legacy. The group is helping rebuild the Frauenkirche, a bell-shaped church that was a fixture in prewar Dresden. Dr. Blobel, who is not Jewish, said he is also donating part of the award to the reconstruction of a synagogue in Dresden.

‘’I saw the firebombing destruction of Dresden from very near,‘’ Dr. Blobel said, ‘‘only a few kilometers away; for an 8 1/2-year-old, this was all very impressive. The bombing was so bright that you could read the newspaper by the red sky (this is 30Km away of Dresden) .’’
<<<<<

The mainstream media says that around 50000 people died.
But in Dresden, there were 1 million people at that time. It was not evacuated, because it was not a military target, and noone expected it to be bombed. The city was turned into a giant torch. And as you can imagine, the figure of 500.000 dead is not something far-fetched.

» If this is even half true, there are broad reaching implications to this
» that would go far beyond just hair loss.
»
» Also does Russia even have an FDA equivalent? My guess is they’re more
» lenient on these sorts of things.
»
» You need to account that other countries are very different when it comes
» to stuff like this, the FDA has a lot of red tape and hoops to jump
» through, in countries like Russia and India I think it’s more like “OK,
» well take 2 or 3 years and test it out, if there’s no big side effects, you
» can sell it” type of thing, lol.