Long-term treatment with finasteride 1 mg

Long-term treatment with finasteride 1 mg decreases the likelihood of developing further visible hair loss in men with androgenetic alopecia (male pattern hair loss).

Eur J Dermatol - 01-JUL-2008; 18(4): 400-6

There are no reports on the effects of pharmacologic treatment on the likelihood of developing further visible hair loss in men with androgenetic alopecia (AGA).

Our objectives were to examine whether finasteride 1 mg treatment decreases the likelihood of developing further visible hair loss in men with AGA. We conducted an analysis of global photographic assessment data from two Phase III trials in which 1553 men with AGA received finasteride 1 mg/day or placebo for up to 5 years. Finasteride 1 mg treatment led to a 93% decrease relative to placebo in the 5-year likelihood of developing further visible hair loss (95% CI: 89-97%; p < 0.001).

We conclude that, in men with AGA, treatment with finasteride 1 mg/day over 5 years led to a marked and sustained decrease in the likelihood of developing further visible hair loss.

» Long-term treatment with finasteride 1 mg decreases the likelihood of
» developing further visible hair loss in men with androgenetic alopecia
» (male pattern hair loss).

It highlights the importance of starting on propecia EARLY when you first detect MPB. You get to at least keep what you have.

» » Long-term treatment with finasteride 1 mg decreases the likelihood of
» » developing further visible hair loss in men with androgenetic alopecia
» » (male pattern hair loss).

»
» It highlights the importance of starting on propecia EARLY when you first
» detect MPB. You get to at least keep what you have.

Very true statement…i used it at the first signs of hair loss…very good results…till about year 6 when it decided to stop working and my hair in the front and back started to thin …if u shine a lightu can see through my hair…otherwise u cant tell…sucks the drug doesnt work for 10 years…

» » » Long-term treatment with finasteride 1 mg decreases the likelihood
» of
» » » developing further visible hair loss in men with androgenetic
» alopecia
» » » (male pattern hair loss).

» »
» » It highlights the importance of starting on propecia EARLY when you
» first
» » detect MPB. You get to at least keep what you have.
»
» Very true statement…i used it at the first signs of hair loss…very good
» results…till about year 6 when it decided to stop working and my hair in
» the front and back started to thin …if u shine a lightu can see through
» my hair…otherwise u cant tell…sucks the drug doesnt work for 10
» years…

I think Marty Sawaya noted that she saw a severe uptick (or upregulation) of androgen receptors after a time of propecia usage. This might make the hair extra sensitive to other androgens. Im hoping that topical green tea or topical lavender might be enough of a receptor antagonist to overcome this… I suppose one could google ‘propecia and androgen receptor upregulation or mutation’ and see if there is any new research in this area.

Unfortunately I don’t expect any new research on Propecia that’s worth a damn.

We’re still struggling to produce a study proving much more than the “2% of users” line about sexual sides.

As for the quicker dropoff of the drug’s effectiveness, it’ll probably be even longer. It’s not logical given existing info about the drug, so not many scientific types seem open to the idea that this pheomenon is even real yet. It’s been reported for a decade now, and a lot of them are still convinced the users just can’t tell a gradual slip below baseline from an abrupt dropoff.