Laer Comb or Transplant?

Anyone have experience with both or know someone who has? I’ve been hearing a lot about the laser comb as of recent and I am curious about it…

» Anyone have experience with both or know someone who has? I’ve been
» hearing a lot about the laser comb as of recent and I am curious about
» it…

Yes there is a lot of controversy with the laser comb as well as the helmet laser light. Here the words of two well read doctors and their thoughts on it.

The first doctor is Dr. Baumann out of Boca Raton, FL

"Dr. Baumann’s remarks about the laser,

"Thomas,
Thank you for emailing me back. I would like to wish you the best of luck
with your new position. Jim Harris is a good guy and great physician.

Having used laser therapy in my practice since 1999, I can tell you that it
is an excellent non-chemical, non-invasive treatment option. Certainly, it
is NOT a miracle cure and CANNOT regrow hair follicles that are ‘dead and
gone.’ Men in the early stages of hair loss and women do VERY well with
the therapy. You should ask your patients…

I have not been a huge fan of Lexington or the LaserComb in recent years, as
I believe that their product is outdated and surpassed by many devices
currently on the market. For example, the Erchonia THL-1 unit is a faster
treatment unit for at-home use–able to cover the scalp in about four
minutes. The FDA-clearance of the LaserComb was certainly exciting news
for the general public who was unaware of laser phototherapy (and for the
surprising number of physicians who did not know that laser therapy could
have a biologic effect). For those of us in the industry who’ve used the
laser treatments for years, it was honestly no big news. I predict that
you’ll probably see a FLOOD of laser devices for hair growth achieve the
fda-clearance in the very near future. The laser is also good for
accelerating wound healing–there’s certainly plenty of scientific data on
that.
See you in Vegas!

Best Regards,
Dr. B."

The second doctor is Dr. Harris out of Denver, CO.

"Here is an email that Q and A that I asked Dr. Harris. You might find this interesting.

Hey Dr. Harris…

What are the benefits and regimen for this laser thing. Actually, I am
pretty ignorant with this machine but would like to drum up interest. So I
need specs.

1. What nanometer is the wavelength of light?
    107 diodes, 650 nm wavelength, total energy over surface is .535 Joules/second

2. Round about costs? nationwide about $4000 which includes the 44-48

3. treatments and the quarterly follow up treatments.
    Compare to cost of Propecia at $70/ month or $840/yr.

4. who is your recommended client base for this apparatus?
    Men and women with miniaturization is the areas that the patient is concerned about

5.vIf this machine was used on other parts of the body would it grow hair, i.e. can it grow butt hair?
We don’t know and probably don’t want to try.

1. What if any are carcinogenic issues?
    None that we know of.

I am offering this as a service to my patients that feel that they donot want traditional medical therapy. It is the only alternative that I have to offer since I haven’t seen any efficacy from Emu oil or Zinc supplements. At least for the laser I have colleagues that have patients that derive some benefit from it and I have patients who want the therapy. It’s no different than offering Propecia, minoxidil, or Nizoral, all of which may or may not work in any given patient.

Dr. Harris"

» it…

You can not contrast these 2 options.
By the way, if i were you i wouldnt by the laser combo as i have heard in the past that does Absolutely nothing.

That is my just my opinion!
Good luck!

I got a different much cheaper lasercomb from a company in jersey. Can’t say too much about regrowth, but it thickened up the hair that I have and makes my hair grow faster. It also helped a transplant I had grow in a bit faster. However, it could all just be my imagination. That’s just my experience. Obviously everyone reacts differently.

I haven’t seen a single guy saying he regrowed hair with laser comb.

On the contrary I have seen several guys they are selling it cause it didn’t work.

The day something works there won’t be much to discuss. Photos will do the talking.

Try propecia.
Under no circumstances should you get a strip,if you have surgery get FUE.
Not to sound like a prick,but speaking from experience,if you have issues with hairloss maybe you should speak to a shrink rather then wasting money on a laser comb & surgery.
A confident guy with a healthy dose of self esteem would never give a damn about hairloss. Flame me all you want but you know I am right.

If laser therapy is that much ludicrous (and it may indeed be), how could it pass the FDA clinical trials?

The evidence for the laser comb ain’t that great. Check out this doc’s criticism of the laser comb:

» it…

Look, until one effectively deals with the culprit of MPB, that being type I & II DHT, hairloss will progress with or without the laser therapy. Using this approach may show some visual improvement, and possibly more so with patients showing the beginning phases of MPB, but don’t kid yourselves for the long term.

IMO, getting the patients on finasteride will be far more beneficial in the long run and it’s even more critical for the patient in the beginning stages. That, more than anything has been the single most effective approach I have witnessed in keeping the younger patients from having to get HTs. But as was mentioned, not all patients are open to the medicinal approach. But even so, why spend all of your hard earned money on alternative laser therapy only to lose the hair in the end because DHT continues to inhibit the hair follicles. IMO, laser therapy does not address the source of the problem.

Possibly the wisest alternative is to use laser therapy “in conjuction” with the meds for the optimal potential result.

Lastly I see absolutely no clinical substantiation that is consistent, just alot of clinics pushing it with endless advertising because obviously it’s a money maker.

I roughly agree but we do not know what real effect laser can have. It might just as well inhibit dht’s deleterious effect within the follicles, elevate temperature, render the chemical process of miniaturisation more difficult… I agree that dht inhibition is the real Mc Coy but when libido is half what it used to be because of internal dht blockers, you feel ready to trust any snake oil to give yourself a chance to get rid of that crap. Do you believe in the efficacy of topical dht blockers instead (like revivogen)?

BRM I like how you look at science… Raising the temp to render. That is really a “hot” way describe the process by which is allowing hair to grow. Great analagy

» I roughly agree but we do not know what real effect laser can have. It
» might just as well inhibit dht’s deleterious effect within the
» follicles, elevate temperature, render the chemical process of
» miniaturisation more difficult… I agree that dht inhibition is the real
» Mc Coy but when libido is half what it used to be because of internal dht
» blockers, you feel ready to trust any snake oil to give yourself a chance
» to get rid of that crap. Do you believe in the efficacy of topical dht
» blockers instead (like revivogen)?

I was under the impression laser comb or other versions of it had nothing to do with dht, how can it? The principles of the laser was to increase the blood and oxygen supply to the follicles and increase the speed of cell division so the hairs grow back stronger. Will it grow “new” hair? I don’t think so, and will not make any great change, better stick to topical and oral meds…I have used them both and saw nothing from laser.

» BRM I like how you look at science… Raising the temp to render. That is
» really a “hot” way describe the process by which is allowing hair to grow.
» Great analagy

Hairtech, I like how you look at orthography… “great analagy”. That is really a “great” way (to?..) describe the process by which you ignore your own language. (Mine is french).
Cheers my boy.

I have used the laser comb for the past 9 months. I was very skeptical at first but after seeing the dateline tv report I became a believer and will continue to use. Results are hard to confirm personally but may have thickened things up. I believe in attacking the issue with multiple approaches with FIT, propecia, Avodart once a week, lasercomb, Nizoral, & minoxidil.

I have mentioned this product before on this forum but got little response.
The info on the their web site is interesting. Using propecia & revivogen would in theory be one hell of a combination for the short term slowing down of further hairloss.
All this stuff is just short term prevention. WE NEED A CURE !!!

» I have mentioned this product before on this forum but got little
» response.
» The info on the their web site is interesting. Using propecia & revivogen
» would in theory be one hell of a combination for the short term slowing
» down of further hairloss.
» All this stuff is just short term prevention. WE NEED A CURE !!!

I put revivogen on one wrist for three months to see if it was anti-androgenic enough to reduce body hair there…it really did. It outperformed the Crinagen I’d placed on the other wrist. It took three months for the results to really become evident (like alot of guys with hair issues, Ive got quite a bit of body hair). I was impressed with it. Its greasy and it smells bad though, and they want you to keep it on for three hours. I think, like Damon does, it would be a good addition to finasteride.

» Its greasy and it smells bad though, and they want you to keep it on
» for three hours.

The highly popular Regaine,rogain,NOGAIN or whatever they call that toxic piss is worse.It requires 4 hours contact with your scalp.It smells too & effects the appearance of your hair.Hell,you can’t even wear a hat for a certain period of time,I think it needs an hour to dry or something.It’s highly flammable too.Then you have to apply that crap twice a day,very inconvenient.
Rev only requires 1 application & in theory will work much better then Regaine.
I hope I live to see the day when all these pills & lotions are a just a bad memory.

BRM,

It might just as well inhibit dht’s deleterious effect within the follicles, elevate temperature, render the chemical process of miniaturisation more difficult…

This was the analogy that I liked from you. What I mean is… I never looked at that issue that way.

Hairtech

I apologize if I mistook your post for some kind of mockery. As a matter of facts, I completely ignore the way laser therapy works while I have a little knowledge (and unfortunately experience) of dht blockers. What I meant in the first place was that whatever path laser therapy goes, we are not sure about the possible consequences of its use,whether in terms of regrowth or thickening. This uncertainty is evident given the odds we observe between contenders as to the potential and effective results of this therapy: people disagree about the level of reliability laser therapy can be allowed and this controversy should point to caution over the therapeutic path laser is said to follow.

» Hairtech
»
» I apologize if I mistook your post for some kind of mockery. As a matter
» of facts, I completely ignore the way laser therapy works while I have a
» little knowledge (and unfortunately experience) of dht blockers. What I
» meant in the first place was that whatever path laser therapy goes, we are
» not sure about the possible consequences of its use,whether in terms of
» regrowth or thickening. This uncertainty is evident given the odds we
» observe between contenders as to the potential and effective results of
» this therapy: people disagree about the level of reliability laser
» therapy can be allowed and this controversy should point to caution over
» the therapeutic path laser is said to follow.

I heard that some guys have had terrible results from the laser comb, i would go with HT.