L Carnitine with DMSO

I’ve been experimenting for several weeks now. Here’s the summary of what I’ve discovered:

Don’t use L-Carnitine liquid solution that has Sorbitol in it (it is super greasy/sticky). I bought L-Carnitine Tartrate capsules from BestVite.com. Try not to dissolve too many capsule contents into solution. Start small. I use distilled water for mixing my l-carnitine tartrate and DMSO solution, because that is what was used to originally dilute my DMSO solution to 70% that I bought.

DMSO 20% solution is probably overkill, I’ve been using closer to 10% and noticed the “aftertaste” is much less severe.(resembles morning breath with oysterish (not fishy) aftertaste) Not as bad as everybody makes it out to be.

I originally started twice daily DMSO/l-carnitine and then DMSO/l-carnitine tartrate solution and stopped minoxidil totally. I didn’t notice any hair loss increase, but after several weeks, didn’t notice any sign of new growth and couldn’t tell for sure if the balding wasn’t getting worse. I panicked and started a regime of morning Minoxidil and evening DMSO/L-carnitine tartrate solution. I’ve also decided to add a smidge of DMSO 5% concentration to my minoxidil solution just for kicks.

I’m thinking about mixing a capsules worth of L-carnitine tartrate to my minoxidil solution, but was waiting to see how current regime works. I’ll keep you posted. How long do you think results would be expected, if at all.

I am familiar with Rowan’s work and don’t believe he’d publish something in his newsletter just for kicks and he doesn’t sell stuff(except his newsletter and his MD services.)

I’m new here, are there any other successful treatments being used/passed around?

» I’ve been experimenting for several weeks now. Here’s the summary of what
» I’ve discovered:
»
» Don’t use L-Carnitine liquid solution that has Sorbitol in it (it is super
» greasy/sticky). I bought L-Carnitine Tartrate capsules from BestVite.com.
» Try not to dissolve too many capsule contents into solution. Start small. I
» use distilled water for mixing my l-carnitine tartrate and DMSO solution,
» because that is what was used to originally dilute my DMSO solution to 70%
» that I bought.
»
» DMSO 20% solution is probably overkill, I’ve been using closer to 10% and
» noticed the “aftertaste” is much less severe.(resembles morning breath with
» oysterish (not fishy) aftertaste) Not as bad as everybody makes it out to
» be.
»
» I originally started twice daily DMSO/l-carnitine and then
» DMSO/l-carnitine tartrate solution and stopped minoxidil totally. I didn’t
» notice any hair loss increase, but after several weeks, didn’t notice any
» sign of new growth and couldn’t tell for sure if the balding wasn’t getting
» worse. I panicked and started a regime of morning Minoxidil and evening
» DMSO/L-carnitine tartrate solution. I’ve also decided to add a smidge of
» DMSO 5% concentration to my minoxidil solution just for kicks.
»
» I’m thinking about mixing a capsules worth of L-carnitine tartrate to my
» minoxidil solution, but was waiting to see how current regime works. I’ll
» keep you posted. How long do you think results would be expected, if at
» all.
»
» I am familiar with Rowan’s work and don’t believe he’d publish something
» in his newsletter just for kicks and he doesn’t sell stuff(except his
» newsletter and his MD services.)
»
» I’m new here, are there any other successful treatments being used/passed
» around?

My regime involves:

Topical Dutasteride
Minoxidil 5% wtih Carnitine Tartrate mixed in
Beta sitosterol
Saw Palmetto
Nizoral Cream
Maxi Hair
MSM
Multivitamins
Fish Oil
LEF Super Miraforte
Lysine
Zinc

This is why my username is “Goingallout.”

I’ve seen significant growth coming in on the temples after having been on this regime since early March, 2008. I would guess that there is growth coming in all over my scalp, but I have a decent covering still so I can’t see it (though thinning which is why I am on this regime).

The other thing is I have a fair degree of sprouting of really thin hairs that are hard to see unless they are reflected in the light. Some of them are getting long, but others are quite short. The result is that there are practically no truly visible improvements in growth, but if the hairs that are growing in begin to thicken up this will change significantly --i.e. there will be a clearly visible thickening.

If you look at the posting by HairSite Admin under the heading Nizoral Shampoo in this forum/index, it says that the best results are with the likes of Finasteride and Minoxidil in combination and that Minoxidil alone is not as effective. A lot of people will tell you not to touch Dutasteride, and it’s true that on Dutasteride oral I had some unwanted side effects. I have switched to administering it topically and I think I am getting a stronger effect in terms of DHT suppression at the scalp than I would with anything else. My hair has been growing the quickest with this.

Overall, my conclusion:

• Take minoxidil in combination with other things.
  • I recommend Dutasteride topical (mixed with Aloe Vera), but others will strongly disagree with me. And finasteride would be worth trying.
  • Be patient.

Regarding the last point: I am not really expecting that this regime will have paid off the way it is supposed to (assuming it will pay off) until after about 6-12 months. I am getting growth and I think I may be getting less fall-out, though I didn’t have a lot of fall-out before. The outstanding question will be are the improvements I am getting in growth and/or reduced loss worth the hassle and expense? Even assuming I am really pleased with the results after a year, another question: how long will these results be able to be maintained before they start to degrade.

» » I’ve been experimenting for several weeks now. Here’s the summary of
» what
» » I’ve discovered:
» »
» » Don’t use L-Carnitine liquid solution that has Sorbitol in it (it is
» super
» » greasy/sticky). I bought L-Carnitine Tartrate capsules from
» BestVite.com.
» » Try not to dissolve too many capsule contents into solution. Start
» small. I
» » use distilled water for mixing my l-carnitine tartrate and DMSO
» solution,
» » because that is what was used to originally dilute my DMSO solution to
» 70%
» » that I bought.
» »
» » DMSO 20% solution is probably overkill, I’ve been using closer to 10%
» and
» » noticed the “aftertaste” is much less severe.(resembles morning breath
» with
» » oysterish (not fishy) aftertaste) Not as bad as everybody makes it out
» to
» » be.
» »
» » I originally started twice daily DMSO/l-carnitine and then
» » DMSO/l-carnitine tartrate solution and stopped minoxidil totally. I
» didn’t
» » notice any hair loss increase, but after several weeks, didn’t notice
» any
» » sign of new growth and couldn’t tell for sure if the balding wasn’t
» getting
» » worse. I panicked and started a regime of morning Minoxidil and evening
» » DMSO/L-carnitine tartrate solution. I’ve also decided to add a smidge
» of
» » DMSO 5% concentration to my minoxidil solution just for kicks.
» »
» » I’m thinking about mixing a capsules worth of L-carnitine tartrate to
» my
» » minoxidil solution, but was waiting to see how current regime works.
» I’ll
» » keep you posted. How long do you think results would be expected, if at
» » all.
» »
» » I am familiar with Rowan’s work and don’t believe he’d publish
» something
» » in his newsletter just for kicks and he doesn’t sell stuff(except his
» » newsletter and his MD services.)
» »
» » I’m new here, are there any other successful treatments being
» used/passed
» » around?
»
»
» My regime involves:
»
» Topical Dutasteride
» Minoxidil 5% wtih Carnitine Tartrate mixed in
» Beta sitosterol
» Saw Palmetto
» Nizoral Cream
» Maxi Hair
» MSM
» Multivitamins
» Fish Oil
» LEF Super Miraforte
» Lysine
» Zinc
»
» This is why my username is “Goingallout.”
»
» I’ve seen significant growth coming in on the temples after having been on
» this regime since early March, 2008. I would guess that there is growth
» coming in all over my scalp, but I have a decent covering still so I can’t
» see it (though thinning which is why I am on this regime).
»
» The other thing is I have a fair degree of sprouting of really thin hairs
» that are hard to see unless they are reflected in the light. Some of them
» are getting long, but others are quite short. The result is that there are
» practically no truly visible improvements in growth, but if the hairs that
» are growing in begin to thicken up this will change significantly --i.e.
» there will be a clearly visible thickening.
»
» If you look at the posting by HairSite Admin under the heading Nizoral
» Shampoo in this forum/index, it says that the best results are with the
» likes of Finasteride and Minoxidil in combination and that Minoxidil alone
» is not as effective. A lot of people will tell you not to touch
» Dutasteride, and it’s true that on Dutasteride oral I had some unwanted
» side effects. I have switched to administering it topically and I think I
» am getting a stronger effect in terms of DHT suppression at the scalp than
» I would with anything else. My hair has been growing the quickest with
» this.
»
» Overall, my conclusion:
»
» - Take minoxidil in combination with other things.
» - I recommend Dutasteride topical (mixed with Aloe Vera), but others will
» strongly disagree with me. And finasteride would be worth trying.
» - Be patient.
»
» Regarding the last point: I am not really expecting that this regime will
» have paid off the way it is supposed to (assuming it will pay off) until
» after about 6-12 months. I am getting growth and I think I may be getting
» less fall-out, though I didn’t have a lot of fall-out before. The
» outstanding question will be are the improvements I am getting in growth
» and/or reduced loss worth the hassle and expense? Even assuming I am really
» pleased with the results after a year, another question: how long will
» these results be able to be maintained before they start to degrade.

Are the side effects you had taking dut orally still present now that you are using it topically? I am seriously considering taking this topical route, as I think the side effects may be less than taking orally. Niz cream and Rogain foam help, but I need something more to try to get some regrowth.
You mentioned earlier a doctor in which you can get dut online, which one is it again?

» » sadly it appears to have that horrid garlic smell, i am wondering if
» maybe
» » emu oil can be utilized as a transdermal vehicle. I will try that
»
» What about mixing it with minoxidil?

DMSO itself does not smell. It is when your body metabolises it that the intense smell is present. And worse yet, you cannot detect the smell itself. It emanates from your body’s pores and your breath. I tried DMSO a few years back and had to stop using it due to the embarassment. Luckily, close friends told me that I reeked to high heaven otherwise I would not have known.
For me, DMSO is a no-no in ANY concentration.

Hi,
History- I am a female and I do not have hair loss.; I am just vain and have obsessed about how to get my hair below my waistline as the genetics do not dictate for my particular DNA bloodline. I have previously been successful with hair growth near my waist in years prior but alas a hairstylist ruined my hair and I had to cut it all off and start from a shoulder length. This is the 7th or 8th time I have regrown my hair and ruined it for some reason usually perm or color. Currently- I am on an acne medicine with 2,200 mg’s of Pantothenic acid daily and 733.3mg’s of L-Carnitine Tartrate daily. I also take 1000mg of msm daily but that is a lazy dose, I usually take 2-3k mg per day. I decided to add Dmso to a spray hair oil to bump up the hair growth and I have been spraying the Dmso on my nails. When you have long hair it is hard to tell the initial burst of growth until a few inches have come in BUT… one can gauge very well the growth of ones nails when you get them done in a salon. The amount of growth in 1 week is 1 mm so in 1 month is about 3-4mm. I sprayed Dmso on my nails and got 3-4 mm in 1 week!!!Needless to say I will use the dmso daily. Carnitine has boosted the DMSO SO THANKS.

Hi,
Here is a previous post I made on the subject but first all you need is the msm, a HIGH dose of carnitine and DMSO of any strength applied directly to the scalp. See below

Hi,
History- I am a female and I do not have hair loss.; I am just vain and have obsessed about how to get my hair below my waistline as the genetics do not dictate for my particular DNA bloodline. I have previously been successful with hair growth near my waist in years prior but alas a hairstylist ruined my hair and I had to cut it all off and start from a shoulder length. This is the 7th or 8th time I have regrown my hair and ruined it for some reason usually perm or color. Currently- I am on an acne medicine with 2,200 mg’s of Pantothenic acid daily and 733.3mg’s of L-Carnitine Tartrate daily. I also take 1000mg of msm daily but that is a lazy dose, I usually take 2-3k mg per day. I decided to add Dmso to a spray hair oil to bump up the hair growth and I have been spraying the Dmso on my nails. When you have long hair it is hard to tell the initial burst of growth until a few inches have come in BUT… one can gauge very well the growth of ones nails when you get them done in a salon. The amount of growth in 1 week is 1 mm so in 1 month is about 3-4mm. I sprayed Dmso on my nails and got 3-4 mm in 1 week!!!Needless to say I will use the dmso daily. Carnitine has boosted the DMSO SO THANKS.