Kinds of Finasteride

Just a basic informational post for anyone new to baldness.

Finasteride is marketed as Proscar, Propecia, Fincar, Finpecia, Finax, Finast, Finara, Finalo, Prosteride – amongst many others (see below).

Propecia and Proscar is made by the American company Merck, the creator of the drug Finasteride. A Proscar tablet has 5 milligrams of Finasteride and Propecia has 1 milligram-- Propecia is intended for Hairloss and Proscar is intended for Prostate treatment (BPH specifically). Many people cut the 5 milligram Finasteride tablets into fifths, taking 1 mg/day for their hairloss. This option can save money on buying the pills, and is often thought to be just as effective.

Fincar and Finpecia are Indian generic versions of Proscar and Propecia, made by the Indian Pharmaceutical company Cipla. Cipla is a very large Pharmaceutical company in India, founded in 1935. Fincar (5mg) is Cipla’s version of Proscar, Finpecia (1mg) is their version of Propecia.

Finax and Finast are made by Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Inc., the second largest Indian Pharmaceutical company. Finax is the 1 milligram Finasteride tablet, and Finast is the 5 milligram tablet.

Finara is made by Ranbaxy Laboratories, India’s largest Pharmacuetical company, a top 10 sized Generic Drug manufacturer, founded in 1961. Finara is a 5 milligram Finasteride tablet-- just as Proscar, Fincar, and Finast.

Finalo is made by Intas Inc., another Indian Pharma co., founded in 1970. Finalo is a 1 milligram Finasteride tablet.

Prosteride is made by Aleppo Pharmaceutical Industries, also called ALPHA. Aleppo is a Syrian company, incorporated in 1990. Prosteride comes in the 1 milligram kind for Hairloss, as well as the 5 milligram kind for the Prostate.

Other Internationl Brand Names of Finasteride are below as well as their country of origin. The letters in parentheses are Country abbreviations indicating the country of origin of the drug. To find out which country code is what country, here’s a list of country codes, look here: http://ftp.uspto.gov/patft/help/helpctry.htm

Alfasin® (BR); Anatine® (AR); Andropel® (AR); Avertex® (AR); Chibro-Proscar® (FR); Conef® (AR); Dilaprost® (TR); Eucoprost® (ES); Eutiz® (AR); Finarid® (TR); Finasterin® (AR); Finastid® (IT); Finastil® (BR); Finex® (CZ); Finired® (ID); Finpro® (ID); Finprostat® (AR); Fistrin® (CO); Flaxin® (BR); Flutiamik® (AR); Gefina® (FI); Genaprost® (IT); Gropecia® (AR); HPB Panalab® (AR); Nasterid-A® (BR); Nasterid® (BR); Nasteril® (AR); Nasterol® (BR, CO); Pelicrep® (AR); Penester® (CZ, PL); Pro-Cure® (IL); Prohair® (CL); Pronor® (BD); Propeshia® (MX); Prosfin® (BD); Prosh® (ID); Prosmin® (AR); Prostacom® (ID); Prostanovag® (AR); Prostasax® (DO); Prostene® (AR); Prosterid® (HU); Prosterit® (TR); Prostide® (BR, IT, SI); Reprostom® (ID); Rowesteride® (EC); Sutrico® (AR); Tealep® (AR); Tricofarma® (AR)

As you can see Finasteride is widely produced and available, though there is debate about the quality and efficacy of generic International Brand Finasteride. However, International Generic Brands are typically much cheaper than Propecia and Proscar-- the Real McCoy, and many people have also found them to be just as effective as Propecia and Proscar.

They ALL eventually stop working & you will bald again.

» They ALL eventually stop working & you will bald again.

That’s true, you’re right. Finasteride works great for many for a while at slowing the hairloss process and/or maintaining what you’ve got, and for others it doesn’t work the way you had hoped-- but it still can slow the process down. And you’re only looking at several years or more of efficacy (so I’ve read) before it stops doing much for you.

For guys in my situation-- trying to fight hairloss early on and play the prevention game-- I’ve literally just started Finasteride in the form of Finpecia 5 days ago. My hairline has receded noticeably and the temple region is becoming diffusely thinner (and I know Fin. often doesn’t do much for hairlines, though sometimes it can). So for a guy like me, with the options that are out there currently…it’s too early for a transplant, and so you have to figure, I can do nothing at all, or I can take some action. Finasteride’s worth a shot, doing something about your hairloss is better than nothing at all. Who knows, it might end up working great (I’d even take adequately) for me for however long it continues to work.

I’m in the game of prevention, getting in the hairloss fight early (enough). For guys in my situation (if you’re reading this), I think it’s a good bet and a good starting point for taking action against your hairloss. I can only hope Fin. works to my advantage and buys me some time, so that years down the road an HM option might be available or some other better treatment option to keep what I’ve got!

You have a good game plan,stick to it! STAY AWAY FROM STRIP SURGERY!
Fin will stop you from losing more hair,at the very least it will significantly slow down your hair loss.You may even regrow hair.It will take about 2 weeks to kick in & any side effect passes after 2 weeks.You MAY shed hairs (I never did but some do) don’t worry about this,it’s normal.All the hairs you lose will come back with vengeance in 3-6 months.
Docs have claimed that patients become acclimated to the drug after 4-5 years.Hopefully by then there will be a cure or you will be mature enough not care about hairloss.
All the best man

I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Finasteride) - myredmaple.com I received the order and it was on time and the pills work great.