John the Revelator: Is there really an anti-HM lobby?

Hey, this is for John the Revelator. I remember reading a while back that you thought there was some kind of anti-HM lobby in the USA, consisting mainly of HT doctors and the like. I’m wondering: do you have any evidence for this? The few docs I’ve talked to don’t seem to be anti-HM, rather they just seem uninvolved or ignorant about HM. but indifference is not the same as opposition…

All the best,
BB

» Hey, this is for John the Revelator. I remember reading a while back that
» you thought there was some kind of anti-HM lobby in the USA, consisting
» mainly of HT doctors and the like. I’m wondering: do you have any evidence
» for this? The few docs I’ve talked to don’t seem to be anti-HM, rather they
» just seem uninvolved or ignorant about HM. but indifference is not the same
» as opposition…

There is no organized group that does business under the name “The Anti-HM Lobby” or anything like that. And none of the participants would ever admit they’re part of such a group. In fact, even a real organized group like ISHRS wouldn’t come out publicly and proclaim they’re anti-HM. If they are conducting any activities, such as writing letters to the FDA expressing concern over the “dangers” of HM, they are doing it covertly, either through individual HT surgeons, or in such a way that it doesn’t garner publicity.

However, all that said, I would have to say “yes”, there is most likely an anti-HM “lobby”. If the activities of these doctors involve pressuring FDA officials, in ANY WAY, to “go slow” on approving HM trials in the US, or to slow down or reject FDA applications, then yes, it does amount to a “lobby”.

I’m referring to probably the most politically-active 1% of hair transplant surgeons, who wield disproportionate clout with regulators because of their knowledge of the internal workings of the FDA bureaucracy and how to manipulate it, combined with their overriding concern that competition from HM will financially cripple their HT practices.

When HM does come out, probably many of the headlines or sub-headlines will read something like this:

“HAIR CLONING PROCESS, NOW AVAILABLE, COULD MAKE TRANSPLANTS OBSOLETE”

Just the publicity alone could be financially devastating to the vast majority of HT surgeons, who are not connected with Intercytex or Bosley.

I dont know about the lobby…but all the doctors and the salesmen (or better consultants) from the clinics sing the same tune. Its 20 years away and blah blah blah.

If they said its 3 years away or 5 do you think anyone would go for a transplant???Its a business and saying something like that would be devastating to their business. Its like knowing that property prices will fall down by 40% in 3 years and you own a Remax office. Would you say it to your prospective customers?Would anyone buy or they would rent and wait 3 years

Excellent points by the greek.
It’s amazing,when HTP Docs are questioned on alternatives to surgery they usually claim that there isn’t enough evidence / proof on that matter to comment.
But when it has come to hm they have been very eager to down play it.
Certain high profile docs have already deliberately made ill informed statements on their blogs about hm. I doubt very much that they believe what they are proclaiming. They are just trying to rake in as much money as they can before ICX puts us all out of our misery.
The fact that they are so rattled by hm is encouraging. I bet they discuss hm behind closed doors with each other. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are privy to inside information & that’s why they are so eager to play it down.
Who knows?

Yeah, I think much of what you say is true. But I think a big part of it is just ignorance – they just don’t know much about it. And others know better but are in it for the money. And some are both ignorant and money grubbers. For example, take Dr. Rassman, or Assman, who is BOTH ignorant and a money-maker. He’s constantly telling people (even Norwood 5-7s) to get HT, thinks dutasteride is the work of the devil, and is shockingly unaware of studies showing the efficacy of some topicals (e.g., anti-androgen shampoos, topical spiro, etc). Not only that, I remember reading one post where he thought a “hair system” was different from a wig/toupee. What an idiot.

Oh, and he keeps telling people that HM is a decade away at least… and thus they should get strip surgery and take propecia…

All the best,
BB

» » Hey, this is for John the Revelator. I remember reading a while back
» that
» » you thought there was some kind of anti-HM lobby in the USA, consisting
» » mainly of HT doctors and the like. I’m wondering: do you have any
» evidence
» » for this? The few docs I’ve talked to don’t seem to be anti-HM, rather
» they
» » just seem uninvolved or ignorant about HM. but indifference is not the
» same
» » as opposition…
»
» There is no organized group that does business under the name “The Anti-HM
» Lobby” or anything like that. And none of the participants would ever
» admit they’re part of such a group. In fact, even a real organized
» group like ISHRS wouldn’t come out publicly and proclaim they’re anti-HM.
» If they are conducting any activities, such as writing letters to the FDA
» expressing concern over the “dangers” of HM, they are doing it covertly,
» either through individual HT surgeons, or in such a way that it doesn’t
» garner publicity.
»
» However, all that said, I would have to say “yes”, there is most likely an
» anti-HM “lobby”. If the activities of these doctors involve pressuring
» FDA officials, in ANY WAY, to “go slow” on approving HM trials in the US,
» or to slow down or reject FDA applications, then yes, it does amount to a
» “lobby”.
»
» I’m referring to probably the most politically-active 1% of hair
» transplant surgeons
, who wield disproportionate clout with regulators
» because of their knowledge of the internal workings of the FDA bureaucracy
» and how to manipulate it, combined with their overriding concern that
» competition from HM will financially cripple their HT practices.
»
» When HM does come out, probably many of the headlines or sub-headlines
» will read something like this:
»
» “HAIR CLONING PROCESS, NOW AVAILABLE, COULD MAKE TRANSPLANTS OBSOLETE”

»
»
» Just the publicity alone could be financially devastating to the vast
» majority of HT surgeons, who are not connected with Intercytex or Bosley.