In support of Dr. Woods

Over a period of time small bits of information begin to make clear that the placement of grafts by technicians has a large impact on the outcome of surgery.

In a recent post, one of Dr. Harris’s technicians (Hairtech) discussed that he had adapted the placement of grafts on a tight scalp using a technique that he had learned at another clinic and that under the circumstances the standard technique could risk crushing grafts. This may have helped the patient but the technique related to the technician not the clinic.

There are other cases where differences in the growth of grafts in different areas of the scalp have been put down to the areas serviced by different technicians and these comments have come from the clinic or technicians themselves.

This is a factor that cannot be controlled by the buyer (patient) and the patient has no knowledge about technician turnover etc etc.

Dr. Woods does the work himself so that removes a potentially important uncertainty and he can feel more responsible and confident in his results.

I wish he was cheaper and undertook an anger management course when it comes to defending his excellent technique (I’m a bit afraid of him so I have to counterbalance any negatives just in case)

Anyway, food for thought???

I completely agree. However the high prices of Woods, along with peoples choices brings up the fact that people will go to less priced clinics. It is inevitable. So the patient is hit with many many clinics to choose from. It is a scary scenario to think that more than half of the procedure is left in the hands of technicians. If you don’t know anything about the staff after the doctor, you don’t know what your getting into.

So what do you look for?

H & W/Harris/Cooley/Rose/Devroye all have long term trained staff(10 years or more) that are taken care of and trained properly so turn over is low. I completely would trust these doctors technicians. Beware of high turnover technician clinics. Please beware of this. I implore you to ask and/verify the technician turn over in a clinic.

Ok well you(hairtech) have not been with Harris long. Well there a limited number of well trained technicians that I would trust that have not been with their physician long. One being Leith leonard, who works with Dr. bisanga, Larry Leonard who works with GHI. And that is about it. Oh of course myself. But in all seriousness, most people don’t realize that the technician part of it can kill a case if they don’t care or have proper training.

Do you the patient want to gamble with your hair?

The Internet community has a fixation – and rightfully so – with donor harvesting. Unfortunately, it seems that not enough attention is given to recipient sites and graft placement. These aspects are as crucial to the finally outcome of a hair transplant – not only in terms of the aesthetic impact, but also in terms of graft survival. At most clinics, graft placement is done by the surgical assistants. So the bottom line is that a surgeon needs a reliable staff in order to get consistent results.

» I completely agree. However the high prices of Woods, along with peoples
» choices brings up the fact that people will go to less priced clinics. It
» is inevitable. So the patient is hit with many many clinics to choose
» from. It is a scary scenario to think that more than half of the procedure
» is left in the hands of technicians. If you don’t know anything about the
» staff after the doctor, you don’t know what your getting into.
»
» So what do you look for?
»
» H & W/Harris/Cooley/Rose/Devroye all have long term trained staff(10 years
» or more) that are taken care of and trained properly so turn over is low. I
» completely would trust these doctors technicians. Beware of high turnover
» technician clinics. Please beware of this. I implore you to ask and/verify
» the technician turn over in a clinic.
»
» Ok well you(hairtech) have not been with Harris long. Well there a
» limited number of well trained technicians that I would trust that have
» not been with their physician long. One being Leith leonard, who works
» with Dr. bisanga, Larry Leonard who works with GHI. And that is about it.
» Oh of course myself. But in all seriousness, most people don’t realize that
» the technician part of it can kill a case if they don’t care or have proper
» training.
» Do you the patient want to gamble with your hair?

N/T