In Need of Opinion - Wait for HM or get a HT? Please give me some suggestions

Hey Guys,

Looking for a realistic timeline and opinion here…

I’m 25 years old, been balding/receding since I was 17. I would say I have a pretty large donor area - High side walls, and in back. The top is getting pretty thin, maybe a 3V on the Norwood scale, but thinning all over. I like to fill in my hair with toppik, which works suprisingly well on top, but I don;t have a lot of hair in front now, and I would like to have my forehead more covered. It’s pretty much not at all. So, my questions are: Should I wait for HM, or get a good HT now along the way? Intercytex says a HT will not affect my HM, and they seem to even be saying it might be necessary alongside with the procedure at first. Is this for sure? What kinds of results can I expect? Some of the photos in the HT forum look really good. Advice requested… thanks guys.

Is time to wait. IMHO… work hard this years, make money, go to the gym and prepare for the day.

you re not a good candidate for ht. you have diffuse thinning like you say. you shouldnt do it.

Thanks for some of this initial input, guys. I see it more of a temporary solution, until the HM. What has bothered me mostly lately is that I end up wearing hats all the time, which I know kind of makes me a pussy btw, but I will take home legitimately hot or cute girls, and we’ll hookup on one or more occasions, but they obviously realize I have a receeding hairline the next day when we lay in bed for an hour talking and more, and then the interest drops like a fly. I mean they are like 20-24 year old girls mostly, so they know they don’t have to go for a guy like that.

Anyway, thats pretty much my reasoning behind this. I was thinking one or two FUE procedures - 70% up front and at the hairline, and 30% or so overall on the scalp if you read my original post describing my thinning.

Appreciate the help everyone

HT is not a solution. Your hairloss will continue and you will have hair islands which will look terrible.

If you are a hairy guy with your body hairs quite thick you can then have BHT(body HT).

Otherwise patience until HM or some other real solution is available.

I do have thicker body hair, but it is black and I have medium brown and thin head hair. I assume the body hair will form the same texture and thickness as it already is, so this wouldn’t look right, would it? Or, does it take on the same characteristics as the recipient area?

» HT is not a solution. Your hairloss will continue and you will have hair
» islands which will look terrible.
»
» If you are a hairy guy with your body hairs quite thick you can then have
» BHT(body HT).
»
» Otherwise patience until HM or some other real solution is available.

I have had HT’s and they do work, but you are limited by your donor hair…and once you have the surgery, you cant go back…if HT’s were the end all cure I wouldnt be here…and I wouldnt mess with body hair unless I had too (I never have)…You might end up with unnatural looking hair on your head and then have HM come out two years later…personally, if I were you I would wait at least until we hear something from phase two…it shouldnt be that long…then you will be able to make a better decision…If they reported that HM works and will be out in x amount of years, it would probably change your whole perspective on your hairloss and help you deal with it better till HM is out

All of these guys on this part of the forum are well read. They pretty much keep up with HM. Listen to them Peter. I answered you on the other thread of HT where my forte is. Good luck.

You are exactly right, raptor. I’m not going to rush into anything in the next few months, if not more.

For now, I need to get on meds. I’m thinking durasteride to hopefully keep what I have and possibly get a little back. Rogaine at night might also be good, but I hate applying it and going to sleep, so I might not.

Looking at patients who have posted their own pics here of before/afters makes me think HT is a great solution. There are some guys who are extremely thin on top and come out after 2 FUE procedures looking like a full head of hair. I’m talking about Dr. Armani here from what I’ve seen. And 4000 grafts +/- isnt that much to take from the back, so thats what I’m thinking. no scars, etc.

Intercytex is promising, but realistically, if it works, it’s going to be about 4 years to my guess. Surely I will wait for phase 2 to pan out, then make my determination. I’m also thinking that even if I did get a HT, it takes a whole year to see the full results, so that cuts down on any possible intercytex timeline as well. So, I’m thinking about the pros/cons here… What do you think about all this?

I am on propecia and think its a good ieda to get on it asap…I really havent experienced any side effects from it that others have talked about, but everybody’s different…Used rogaine immediately after my surgery but thought it was a pain in the ass and really didnt do anything…there are alot of members on here who use alot of other stuff (saw palemetto (sp?)ect) and claim it helps…could get expensive though…as far as fue’s…I had a strip…Fue’s weren’t out when I had mine…think they are ALOT less invasive than the strip…and minimal scars (so you can still shave/buzz your head if ya want to)…You may need HT for the hairline even if HM comes out…nobody knows yet? Hopefully phase two will tell us alot more soon…

» You are exactly right, raptor. I’m not going to rush into anything in the
» next few months, if not more.
»
» For now, I need to get on meds. I’m thinking durasteride to hopefully keep
» what I have and possibly get a little back. Rogaine at night might also be
» good, but I hate applying it and going to sleep, so I might not.
»
» Looking at patients who have posted their own pics here of before/afters
» makes me think HT is a great solution. There are some guys who are
» extremely thin on top and come out after 2 FUE procedures looking like a
» full head of hair. I’m talking about Dr. Armani here from what I’ve seen.
» And 4000 grafts +/- isnt that much to take from the back, so thats what
» I’m thinking. no scars, etc.
»
» Intercytex is promising, but realistically, if it works, it’s going to be
» about 4 years to my guess. Surely I will wait for phase 2 to pan out, then
» make my determination. I’m also thinking that even if I did get a HT, it
» takes a whole year to see the full results, so that cuts down on any
» possible intercytex timeline as well. So, I’m thinking about the pros/cons
» here… What do you think about all this?

I think I got a quote for FUE from Dr. Armani office a few months back (looking at options like yourself). For FUE its $10-$15 per graph. So, for best case scenario for you (in terms of $$$) is $40,000. If I were a 25yrs old guy with that kind of money on hand, I would put it down on a house. Secondly, as they say in HT, there is no guarantees. Once the money and hair is gone, its gone.

» » You are exactly right, raptor. I’m not going to rush into anything in
» the
» » next few months, if not more.
» »
» » For now, I need to get on meds. I’m thinking durasteride to hopefully
» keep
» » what I have and possibly get a little back. Rogaine at night might also
» be
» » good, but I hate applying it and going to sleep, so I might not.
» »
» » Looking at patients who have posted their own pics here of
» before/afters
» » makes me think HT is a great solution. There are some guys who are
» » extremely thin on top and come out after 2 FUE procedures looking like
» a
» » full head of hair. I’m talking about Dr. Armani here from what I’ve
» seen.
» » And 4000 grafts +/- isnt that much to take from the back, so thats what
» » I’m thinking. no scars, etc.
» »
» » Intercytex is promising, but realistically, if it works, it’s going to
» be
» » about 4 years to my guess. Surely I will wait for phase 2 to pan out,
» then
» » make my determination. I’m also thinking that even if I did get a HT,
» it
» » takes a whole year to see the full results, so that cuts down on any
» » possible intercytex timeline as well. So, I’m thinking about the
» pros/cons
» » here… What do you think about all this?
»
» I think I got a quote for FUE from Dr. Armani office a few months back
» (looking at options like yourself). For FUE its $10-$15 per graph. So, for
» best case scenario for you (in terms of $$$) is $40,000. If I were a 25yrs
» old guy with that kind of money on hand, I would put it down on a house.
» Secondly, as they say in HT, there is no guarantees. Once the money and
» hair is gone, its gone.

damn…$40k for a damn hair transplant that still will have you looking like your losing your hair. that will only get you llike a little over3,000 grafts at $12 per graft which is not enough depending on your level of norwood… these HT docs must be millionaires within the first few years of starting out.

seems like the only way a HT will help you is if you don’t have any more hairloss and you can just get everything filled in without worrying if it’s going to bald anymore.

my suggestion is: if you have enough money, get a good HT now.
nobody knows when HM is going to come, and probably the first versions
of HM won’t work for the frontal area…
but if you get it, it has to be a top HT, FUE or above, otherwise I agree with the others that it isn’t worth…

» Hey Guys,
»
» Looking for a realistic timeline and opinion here…
»
» I’m 25 years old, been balding/receding since I was 17. I would say I
» have a pretty large donor area - High side walls, and in back. The top is
» getting pretty thin, maybe a 3V on the Norwood scale, but thinning all
» over. I like to fill in my hair with toppik, which works suprisingly well
» on top, but I don;t have a lot of hair in front now, and I would like to
» have my forehead more covered. It’s pretty much not at all. So, my
» questions are: Should I wait for HM, or get a good HT now along the way?
» Intercytex says a HT will not affect my HM, and they seem to even be
» saying it might be necessary alongside with the procedure at first. Is
» this for sure? What kinds of results can I expect? Some of the photos in
» the HT forum look really good. Advice requested… thanks guys.

im in the same situation. i have diffuse thinning and am thinking what i can do. im on meds too.

use minox twice a day thats better!

for me and for you a ht is not good coz i think 1. we will end being nw 6’s and with diffuse thinning much hair can get shocked by shockloss and never come back so maybe our ht wont do anything.

im taking many meds and did improve my hair greatly, but its still not really full.

look in the buzz cut forum for my hair. there is a photo of it.

the only option i see for me and you is spending 50-100 k on a fue/strip/body hairs combination. that would give us “maybe” full hair allover. but its not sure and i think too expensive!

we dont know when and if hm or something like follica’s procedure will come out, how good it will be and how much it will cost.

at the moment all options are “maybe’s”.

:expressionless: best is still…live with it, get a style which suits you and looks good and you feel good with it (maybe buzz or shave it).

if you want to use meds , i suggest fin, minox and nizoral shampoo.

i for me wont get a ht i think. its too expensive and you dont know if you will get full hair. and you will have a strip scar because you will need a fue/strip/bg combo.

lets hope for some new inventions in the next few years! i think of follica, HM, PS1 and maybe there are even some things developed at moment which we dont know about.

Helpme, in your pictures you look very bald!

» Helpme, in your pictures you look very bald!

well…then i do.