If you\'re suicidal from the state of your hairloss

Recently, there has been an alarming number of posters who have insinuated in no uncertain terms that they have become suicidal. To those posters, I say this: your reaction is not normal and you must seek immediate psychiatric attention. It is normal to be melancholy about your hairloss, and its certainly not unheard of to be a bit depressed about it. But it is far from normal to have suicidal thoughts because you’re losing your hair. 50% of men are losing their hair, and most do not suffer from suicidal thoughts because of it. In fact, the vast, vast majority of them lead normal, healthy lives, complete with careers and meaningful relationships. If you are feeling that hairloss is keeping you from experiencing life and that death is an answer to your pain, its an indication that you are suffering from a serious psychiatric condition that requires the attention of a trained psychiatrist. If you don’t know who to contact, you can start by calling the national suicide hotline at: 1-800-784-2433. This is a US number; nearly every nation has them, and they can be found easily by googling. They will be able to direct you to someone who can help you.

Losing your hair can be tough, but no one should kill themselves because of it. If you think its a reason to, then you have already stepped over the line of what is normal behavior. Stop asking for the advice of complete and unqualified strangers and start speaking to a professional.

For the rest of you, keep these recent events in mind every time you post something like, “(insert random research) is going to cure us in a year!” Your unmitigated optimism is reckless, as it leads less balanced people to place an undue amount of hope in what usually turns out to be nothing. When this happens, those who are suffering from mental illness can become quite depressed, as has been evident in the last few months.

» Recently, there has been an alarming number of posters who have insinuated
» in no uncertain terms that they have become suicidal. To those posters, I
» say this: your reaction is not normal and you must seek immediate
» psychiatric attention. It is normal to be melancholy about your hairloss,
» and its certainly not unheard of to be a bit depressed about it. But it is
» far from normal to have suicidal thoughts because you’re losing your hair.
» 50% of men are losing their hair, and most do not suffer from suicidal
» thoughts because of it. In fact, the vast, vast majority of them lead
» normal, healthy lives, complete with careers and meaningful relationships.
» If you are feeling that hairloss is keeping you from experiencing life and
» that death is an answer to your pain, its an indication that you are
» suffering from a serious psychiatric condition that requires the attention
» of a trained psychiatrist. If you don’t know who to contact, you can start
» by calling the national suicide hotline at: 1-800-784-2433. This is a US
» number; nearly every nation has them, and they can be found easily by
» googling. They will be able to direct you to someone who can help you.
»
» Losing your hair can be tough, but no one should kill themselves because
» of it. If you think its a reason to, then you have already stepped over
» the line of what is normal behavior. Stop asking for the advice of
» complete and unqualified strangers and start speaking to a professional.
»
» For the rest of you, keep these recent events in mind every time you post
» something like, “(insert random research) is going to cure us in a year!”
» Your unmitigated optimism is reckless, as it leads less balanced people to
» place an undue amount of hope in what usually turns out to be nothing.
» When this happens, those who are suffering from mental illness can become
» quite depressed, as has been evident in the last few months.

agree with everything you say here, just about…

however, just as a point of argument, it makes more sense that “unmitigated optimism” about cures would cause people who might otherwise be depressed to be un-depressed (and maybe unrealistically).

»
» agree with everything you say here, just about…
»
» however, just as a point of argument, it makes more sense that
» “unmitigated optimism” about cures would cause people who might otherwise
» be depressed to be un-depressed (and maybe unrealistically).

Initially it does. But after the hyped cure doesn’t turn out, the less mentally fit members of the board become deeply depressed. This can be seen in the posts of those recent members who have been talking about suicide. They mention that ICX failed, that ACELL won’t work, and that Follica is far off. All of these things are true, but because the opposite outcomes were endlessly promoted on this site, these posters were under the impression that a cure was right around the corner. They placed all their’ hopes on this belief, and when it didn’t come true, they started contemplating suicide.

So, for the cheerleaders out there, before you start the 40th thread about ACELL, ask yourself, “what will be the impact of this thread? Am I approaching this topic rationally, or am I simply promoting conjecture?”

»
»

ROFL

» »
» » agree with everything you say here, just about…
» »
» » however, just as a point of argument, it makes more sense that
» » “unmitigated optimism” about cures would cause people who might
» otherwise
» » be depressed to be un-depressed (and maybe unrealistically).
»
» Initially it does. But after the hyped cure doesn’t turn out, the less
» mentally fit members of the board become deeply depressed. This can be
» seen in the posts of those recent members who have been talking about
» suicide. They mention that ICX failed, that ACELL won’t work, and that
» Follica is far off. All of these things are true, but because the opposite
» outcomes were endlessly promoted on this site, these posters were under the
» impression that a cure was right around the corner. They placed all their’
» hopes on this belief, and when it didn’t come true, they started
» contemplating suicide.

yeah, but seems to me if they become suicidal after having their hopes deflated, they would have been suicidal before their hopes were inflated to begin with.

so what the unmitigated optimistic posters may be doing is just giving them a temporary respite from their normal state of despondency…

the unmitigated optimistic posters can’t really be responsible for these people’s suicidal tendencies because if they’re biologically wired to be that depressed about something like hairloss, it’s inescapable anyway.

just my take on this…

yea i mean hairloss sucks for everyone i mean thier really no way to cope with hairloss. it is very hard but suicide is not the answer. on another note i really feel follica is kicking butt right now but still early so we dont know… but to me this seems like a winner. but yea getting ur hopes to high just prepares u for a bigger crash right to the ground when they let you down. its like taking an energy drink… you feel energized for the moment but after you feel worse then before.for those suffering from these disturbing thoughts i really recommend you stay around alot of people all the time.

i was once there too, that i thought of suicide coz of hairloss. now im far from that, luckyly. the best help i can give is do everything you can to handle your hairloss. shave your head, use fin and minox, use toppik, wear a toupee, do a transplant and so on. whatever helps, do it. then concentrate on things on you, which you like. dont only concentrate on your hair. do something to compensate your hairloss. get a career, hit the gym, get a tan, whatever, just do something.

» »
» » agree with everything you say here, just about…
» »
» » however, just as a point of argument, it makes more sense that
» » “unmitigated optimism” about cures would cause people who might
» otherwise
» » be depressed to be un-depressed (and maybe unrealistically).
»
» Initially it does. But after the hyped cure doesn’t turn out, the less
» mentally fit members of the board become deeply depressed. This can be
» seen in the posts of those recent members who have been talking about
» suicide. They mention that ICX failed, that ACELL won’t work, and that
» Follica is far off. All of these things are true, but because the opposite
» outcomes were endlessly promoted on this site, these posters were under the
» impression that a cure was right around the corner. They placed all their’
» hopes on this belief, and when it didn’t come true, they started
» contemplating suicide.
»
» So, for the cheerleaders out there, before you start the 40th thread about
» ACELL, ask yourself, “what will be the impact of this thread? Am I
» approaching this topic rationally, or am I simply promoting conjecture?”

Umm…this is a hairloss forum, isn’t it? What should we talk about here? If it’s true that we will have nothing on the market for a “far off” time as you say, why do you even come here? And, by the way, how are you so sure of ,“They mention that ICX failed, that ACELL won’t work, and that
Follica is far off. All of these things are true”. That is conjecture.

As far as being a “cheerleader” for Acell, I’m sure you consider me to be one of the biggest…not that I really care because you really don’t matter. But, just to prove a point, please find a post from me that guarantees success for Acell. I’ve never said such a thing and I never will…unless it is proven to work. Several doctors think that it is worth investigating and Acell has confidence that their product will benefit HT patients…but since you seem to have some “inside” information about this product, they shouldn’t even waste their time. Maybe you should contact them and give them the heads up on that. Do you suggest that we come to this forum and not speak of anything that even has a remote potential for being a treatment for hairloss? Again, what should be discussed here?

That being said, this is probably the first post that you’ve ever added here that servers any purpose. I agree that this “trend” needs to be curtailed. Whether these forum members are sincere in thier feelings or are seeking attention (don’t ask me why some people come here for that reason…but I do believe that several do) these types of posts can be harmful. If these people are sincere and really feel that way, I agree that they should seek professional help. It’s a great thing that fckhrls added this post and a contact number. If any of these people have come here for entertainment purposes, I think that they really need to reconsider their thought processes. I fear that they may encourage a “mindset” for some people who may be “overly depressed” because of their hairloss.

Take Care,
Bill

More dangerous are the posters who come here and state as FACT that any potential cure will not work…that Intercytex is over, Acell wont work, and Follica is a long way off…they leave these “Suicidal members” no hope at all…nothing to look forward to…and many of them are already living lives that they describe as “not worth living”…and yet these confident negative cheerleaders have no more insight than anybody else on this board…

And furthermore, what do you want anybody to talk about on this forum ??? Would you prefer that the forum be disposed of ??? True, some members might read about a potential “Cure” and run with it…but I think most stay level headed about it…the only way around this “issue” would be to not talk about anything at all

and make it about yourself. Why don’t you get back to raising money and harassing veterinary companies?

» the best help i can give is do everything you can to handle your hairloss. shave your head, use fin and minox, use toppik, wear
» a toupee, do a transplant and so on. whatever helps, do it. then
» concentrate on things on you, which you like. dont only concentrate on your
» hair. do something to compensate your hairloss. get a career, hit the gym,
» get a tan, whatever, just do something.

This advice is good for the person who is unhappy about their look. But for someone who is suicidal because of their hair, this is not the answer. Their psychosis actually has nothing to do with their hair, but rather its because of a serious psychiatric disorder. You could do all of the things listed, and they’d still want to hurt themselves. If someone is contemplating suicide, the only answer is to seek professional psychiatric care.

» and make it about yourself. Why don’t you get back to raising money and
» harassing veterinary companies?

Why are you even here ??? Have you done anything beneficial for this forum besides harass other members and convince desperate people they will NEVER get thier hair back ??? Weren’t you supposed to leave over a month ago ??? WHY are you still here ??? And apparently your a psychiatrist too…where did you get your medical degree from…you are giving medical advice (with certanity) with NO knowledge on the subject…Look at your Bullshyte post to Helpme on this thread…apparently you know people even better than they know themselves…THIS IS A HAIR MULTIPLICATION AND RESEARCH FORUM, ANYBODY WHO DOESNT WANT TO TALK ABOUT THOSE SUBJECTS SHOULDNT BE HERE…PERIOD

You just seem like somebody here just to screw with other members…you are a waste

» » and make it about yourself. Why don’t you get back to raising money and
» » harassing veterinary companies?
»
» Why are you even here ??? Have you done anything beneficial for this
» forum
besides harass other members and convince desperate people they
» will NEVER get thier hair back ??? Weren’t you supposed to leave over a
» month ago ??? WHY are you still here ??? And apparently your a psychiatrist
» too…where did you get your medical degree from…you are giving
» medical advice (with certanity) with NO knowledge on the subject…Look at
» your Bullshyte post to Helpme on this thread…apparently you know people
» even better than they know themselves
»
» You just seem like somebody here just to screw with other members…you
» are a waste

I’m trying to help those who are apparently suicidal. What are you contributing? I know this is the HM forum, but its where these suicidal members have been posting, and its the best place for them to see this thread. You’re pretty heartless.

»
»

On the flip side of this discussion, this discussion shows how important a full head of hair is in our modern-day society. It’s almost as if the bald gene will eventually disappear because everyone who is bald will not only be depressed and not reproducing, but also maybe killing themselves. The reality is that bald is not and never will be beautiful. It will always be seen as a genetic defect.

»
» I’m trying to help those who are apparently suicidal. What are you
» contributing?

By CONVINCING them their is no hope and nothing is ever going to work ???..Why dont you just load the pistol for them ???

»
» On the flip side of this discussion, this discussion shows how important a
» full head of hair is in our modern-day society. It’s almost as if the bald
» gene will eventually disappear because everyone who is bald will not only
» be depressed and not reproducing, but also maybe killing themselves. The
» reality is that bald is not and never will be beautiful. It will always be
» seen as a genetic defect.

1/2 of all men are balding. 1/2 of men do not kill themselves or stop “reproducing”. In fact, the exact opposite is true; the vast majority of bald men lead normal lives, get married and have kids. It sucks to lose you hair, and I don’t deny that hair is important in society, but it is not a death sentence. Those that think it is aren’t thinking clearly, and for those who want to die because of it, they are in the grips of a serious problem that has far more to do with their mental health than the hair on their head.

I have seen none of the “Cheerleaders” assuring success or telling anybody the will get their hair back…we are all sceptical…but you are pretty much assuring failure…what do you think does more harm ??? I appreciate you trying to protect us from ourselves…but “No thank you”…and have you tried to contact any of these individuals conteplating suicide ??? I havent seen you post in any of their threads to them…

» »
» » I’m trying to help those who are apparently suicidal. What are you
» » contributing?
»
»
» By CONVINCING them their is no hope and nothing is ever going to work
» ???..Why dont you just load the pistol for them ???

Nonsense. I didn’t say nothing would ever work - there are things that work now. I said that there is no scientific evidence - not a shred - that Acell will have any affect on hairloss. It may work on scars, which is good news for the butchered, but there is no reason to start thread after thread declaring its a cure. Until a double-blind study is conducted, everything about Acell IS conjecture. And no, HT docs do not constitute double-blind studies; even they have said as much in their replies to Lil’ Willy.

ICX is dead. Only the most delusional think its still going forward.

Follica shows promise, but its become evident that it will require trials. People need to be realistic about its timeline and stop saying it could be available in 2010. They also have to be honest about the complexity and proprietary nature of the protocol. Clearly they have not declared all of the necessary processes and drugs. Because of this, the idea of a “home-brew” version is silly and dangerous.

I have said again and again that there are things available NOW that are PROVEN to work, namely Finasteride, Nizoral, and Rogain. I am on that combination and have a full head of hair. They are a God-send.

I feel like I’m repeating myself. All that I ask is that people be realistic about their discussions. This is a place to talk about promising research, not screaming “CURE!” every time something goes to a phase I trail (or less, as has been the case of late). But go on doing just that if you like; just remember that there are some seriously unbalanced people on this board, and their reactions to what you write can be unpredictable. Be responsible.

» I’m trying to help those who are apparently suicidal. What are you
» contributing? I know this is the HM forum, but its where these suicidal
» members have been posting, and its the best place for them to see this
» thread. You’re pretty heartless.

Heartless ??? I would say trying to give other members of this forum any sense of responsibility for somebody’s suicide for only discussing what is SUPPOSED to be discussed in this forum because they try to have a positive additude about it is BEYOND HEARTLESS…

This is the hair multiplication and research forum. Can we just make this a forum on science and not have debates about hairloss from a personal or societal perspective. It is not what this forum is for, go to a “my story” or something like that. This forum is for scientific discussions, not debates about the importance of hair loss, etc.