How To Get A Finasteride Prescription

Hi All,

If you’re interested in Propecia or any of its generics for its chemical Finasteride, this post is to encourage you to get a Finasteride prescription, and to tell you how I did it so you can do the same.

I’m one of the guys who’s been checking in here on Hairsite.com periodically over the last 10 years. There’s quite a few like me here who come back to see what the latest news is.

Also like many here, years ago I purchased Finpecia (generic Propecia containing Finasteride) through an over seas online pharmacy & I happily received it in the mail. It worked well for me and I was happy with it.

After a few refills & a couple years, the online pharmacy (I can’t even remember its name) was shut down, and, being satisfied with my hair regrowth & maintenance, I lazily didn’t go to the trouble to find another reliable Online Pharmacy supplier and I stopped taking it.

Here I am a few years later, my hairline a bit less robust, and I again came back to Hairsite.com to see if I could scoop a good over-seas Online Pharmacy for some more cheap Finasteride.

Then I learned how stupid I was.

WalMart sells a month’s worth of 5mg Finasteride tablets (generic Proscar), for $9! You can see this here: http://i.walmartimages.com/i/if/hmp/fusion/customer_list.pdf.
In case you don’t know, a Propecia pill and its generics only have 1mg Finasteride. Propecia & Proscar are identical except for the amount of Finasteride.

So I decided that going to the trouble of buying through an online pharmacy for still a significant amount of money, and then worrying about whether what I got was legit, was in a word - idiotic.

And I decided to just e-mail my Doctor (most Dr.'s nowadays have some kind of online presence). At first in my mind I was too embarrassed to even e-mail him the request. There’s something about hair loss that makes it feel very individual, secret, & underground. But then I thought of my sister who just graduated Medical school, and her stories of dissecting dead bodies, dealing with people’s rotting body parts & festering wounds, and I realized Dr’s have literally seen it all - and the last thing in the world my Dr. would even shrug his shoulders over is me & my small little hairloss issue (despite it being a very big deal to me).

So my e-mail went like this:

Hi Dr. -----,

I’ve been noticing some typical male-pattern hairloss & become interested in slowing the process, and have looked into Finasteride - both Propecia & the generics. After digging I understand it’s a prescription medication.

Oddly, Wal-Mart sells generic 5mg Finasteride for $30 (3 month supply), but 1mg Finasteride for $145 (3 month supply). Very weird!

So I’d really like to see if I can simply cut the 5mg into 1/4ths, take that daily, & save over $100 for the same thing?

Just in case you’d like to see Wal-Mart’s $9 5mg Finasteride, it’s here: http://i.walmartimages.com/i/if/hmp/fusion/customer_list.pdf.

Thanks for letting me know.

He responded within a few hours saying:

“OK. You can pick it up whenever you like - as long as we’re open. We are open Mondays through Fridays from 8:30 to 4:45 pm. Just come up to the receptionist at our front desk.”

…He didn’t even flinch or care. Just an “OK”. The next day I went to the office, picked up the prescription for 100pills of 5mg Finasteride, with 3 refills available, and took it to Wal-Mart. Now I have several years worth of Propecia equivalent, for less than $100 (and that’s without any insurance!).

All it took was a little e-mail, and I don’t have to worry about any sort of online nonsense, or question the pill I’m taking. When I found out how easy it actually was, I had to share it here for all of you.

So if you are here looking for some hints & help as to how, or where, to get some Finasteride for your hair loss, then just remember how easy it PROBABLY is, to get a simple DIRT CHEAP prescription.

Even if your Dr. is uncomfortable prescribing the 5mg that Wal-Mart sells for a discount…hey, the 1mg generic Propecia prescription from Wal-Mart for 3 months supply is $145, and your Dr. should have little to no issue doing that!

Hope this helps,
OceanJ