How Long Does It Take to Recover from a Hair Transplant?

Summer is in full swing here at the Jersey Shore. The July 4th weekend was full of sun, BBQ and relaxing by the pool. A 3-day weekend is like a lifetime of vacation for a self-described work-a-holic like me. Once in a while my wife even forces me to take a full week off from work! I bring up vacation because many patients ask how long they need to be out of work for recovery after the NeoGraft procedure.

I would say that it depends on what the patient means by “recovery.” Medically, recovery would mean that the wounds are healed and the patient is well on their way to resuming normal activity. After the NeoGraft procedure, the wounds on the scalp are mostly healed by day 3-4 after surgery. The hair follicles are safely incorporated under the scalp. The risk of infection by this point is pretty low. Pain is pretty much a non-factor by this point and the patient can resume regular activity including work. Now this can vary by patient, as someone like me (Type-A Surgeon) went to work the next day, but most people take a few days off.

If by recovery the patient means how long until there are no signs they had surgery, it would be more like 7-10 days. The most visible signs of the procedure are the scabs from where the grafts were placed and the donor sites on the back of the head. We need to shave the donor site very closely to see the hair we will harvest. The hairs we don’t harvest grow back very quickly. By one week after surgery, the hair has grown back enough to cover the places we took the hair from. The scabs over the grafts will be the last reminder of the surgery. These scabs take about 7-10 days to fall out. It’s very important to let them fall out on their own so the grafts don’t become dislodged.

Some patients don’t want anyone to know that they had hair transplant surgery and some don’t care if others know. By 9 months after surgery everyone will notice how much more hair you have! If you want to keep your procedure to yourself, I would recommend no social interaction or work for 10 days to 2 weeks. This should allow for everything to return to normal. If you don’t mind the curious looks and questions it’s pretty safe to return to work or be social by 2-3 days after surgery. Either way in 9 months you will be happy that you decided to go through with the surgery!

With our non shaving FUE procedures, recovery and concealment is much quicker and you can return to work and social interaction much quicker then the 10 - 14 days you listed: Executive Non-Shaving Procedure Beverly Hills

With Dr. Baubac’s Executive Non-Shaving Hair Restoration option, the hair on the top is left at normal length, and only very small sections are clipped in the donor region, which are then concealed by the patient’s existing hair keeping the procedure concealed and hidden.

Dr. Baubac’s Executive Non-Shaving Procedure is a perfect solution for those in representative occupations who cannot shave their head due to the nature of their job. It is also a great option for patients who want to keep their procedure concealed, private and unnoticed as it allows patients to keep their original hair in the same style and length, during and after the procedure.

The patient can then return to work and every day activities immediately without people knowing that a hair restoration has taken place.