Histogen CEO selling "foreskin facials"

This made news this week. Not surprising Dr. Gail Naughton of Histogen is having to go into other lines of business as Histogen’s HSC for hair growth is moving slowly and isn’t all that promising compared to real cell-based treatments in the pipeline…

The effect only lasts for a few weeks.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by Lyn[/postedby]
The effect only lasts for a few weeks.[/quote]

Makes sense. Unless you’re constantly replenishing those growth factors, the effect would wear off.

And this is the exact same reason why I’m saying that follow up treatments of AAPE or Histogen would produce better results than once a month treatments. I think that AAPE or Histogen should be injected once or twice per week for 4 - 6 months and then once per month after that for maintenance.

In nature these growth factors and proteins are supplied to the follicles on a continual basis so of course once a month injections are not going to be as effective as once or twice a week. So you should do once weekly or twice weekly in the beginning and then once you recover your hair you do once monthly for maintenance.

And you yourself just backed up my point. And this shows why you may very well be wrong about how non-cell based treatments won’t work. The only reason histogen and AAPE aren’t giving full heads of hair is that the follicles aren’t exposes to the growth factors often enough (in the beginning).

You’ve just made my point.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by Lyn[/postedby]
The effect only lasts for a few weeks.[/quote]

Which effect? Looking younger through baby-foreskin vampirism?

Is such a commodity wrong? YES!
Is it necessary? YES.
Foreskin for the foreskin god.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by jarjarbinx[/postedby]
And this is the exact same reason why I’m saying that follow up treatments of AAPE or Histogen would produce better results than once a month treatments. I think that AAPE or Histogen should be injected once or twice per week for 4 - 6 months and then once per month after that for maintenance. [/quote]

They probably would be more effective at growing hair, but you have to ask yourself the question, why is Histogen planning a protocol that would apply HSC injections only something like 1-2 times a year?

Come on, think about it. Isn’t it a bit weird that a company that thinks it has a great product would propose that it be applied only once or twice a year?

You’d think that by now they would know enough, that more frequent injections would increase the efficacy. Right?

And my answer to that question is that they are probably getting flack from the FDA and other regulators (wherever they’re testing it) that if too much of these growth factors are delivered, there’s a heightened concern of problems like cancer.

I believe one of the growth factors in HSC is VEGF, vascular endothelial growth factor?

Well, this stuff has been linked in studies to encouraging tumors to grow. No, it doesn’t initiate tumors, it doesn’t generate cancer cells de novo, but if you have a few pre-cancerous cells in your skin (which normally might be dealt with by the immune system and macrophages), VEGF is believed to encourage their growth into a tumor.

Even though the risks of getting cancer from this stuff is still really small, the consensus of the scientific community is that it is real. So, it seems to me that the FDA would be VERY skeptical about approving HSC for anything more than application a couple of times per year. As always, they would rather err on the side of caution.

I’m sure you’re going to raise all kinds of questions about “Why not?”, “We have these growth factors anyway in our tissues, don’t we?” etc. – and I’m prepared for all of your questions, I just don’t have the time to address them right now.

Believe me, these things have already been thought of.