Hey folks - remember me?

Dutasteride veteran here from the UK and doing OK. :slight_smile:

Taking a Dr Reddys per week and still doing pretty well! Steady NW1.5 to NW2 (although nearer to NW2 if I’m honest). But still happy with my hair given how paranoid I was about it when I started taking Dut at 23 (I’m 32 now).

Any word on the latest meds?

Had very little time to research it all of late. Busy at work and Mrs Dut and I had our first child not so long ago.

So fighting hairloss has taken a bit of a back seat if I’m honest! But still keen to know what’s going on in the world and if there’s something a little better long-term to be thinking about than powerful systemic drugs.

Any of the old guys still knocking around here these days?

Take it easy everyone
KD

Nice to hear from you King Dut!

Can you give the newer members (including myself) a little history about your pattern of loss, the treatments you’ve tried and had success/failures with, and what your current regimen is?

Congrats on the little one!

» Nice to hear from you King Dut!
»
» Can you give the newer members (including myself) a little history about
» your pattern of loss, the treatments you’ve tried and had success/failures
» with, and what your current regimen is?
»
» Congrats on the little one!

Cheers mate!

First noticed hairloss at age 19. Only very minor, but my two older brothers are probably around NW4 and NW6 and decided I didn’t want to go the same way. My younger brother has since overtaken me rapidly so I believe MPB in my family is definitely a genetic thing.

It wasn’t bad but it was early, and I knew people were talking about it. Not nastily, but it was still enough to make my very self conscious about it and worried for the future. MPB is a bitch - particular for younger single guys with perhaps less self-esteem than others.

Tried Minox for a year or so but didn’t notice much. Probably too early really as my hairloss at that stage was not very advanced. Then moved onto Finsateride (firstly Propecia, then generic) going up from 1mg a day to around 2.5mg, which abated things nicely but didn’t altogether stop my hairloss.

Finally when Dut came out went straight on it amid all the hype, again firstly Avodart but then moved onto Dutas when it became available generically. There was a time I was taking one every couple of days. I have found that 1 pill a week is doing the trick (I am 32 now so I think my DHT attack is not so severe now…)

I wouldn’t say I’ve had any regrowth, but at best I’d stay it stopped when I was on a higher dose. I only dropped it back mainly because I wasn’t feeling great about taking very powerful drugs off-label quite so frequently, and even came off it for a year in 2008, and then again when we were casually trying for a child. Both times I noticed the receding started to creep back again slowly.

My only regret is not adding Minox again and possibly a shampoo like Nizoral or Alpecin, but it is less convenient than simply taking a pill every week. Also, there is only so much time and money I can devote to hairloss now my priorities have changed so much (I guess now I’m a little older and a few friends are going the same way, hairloss isn’t quite the massive panic for me that it was a few years ago).

In an ideal world I’d love to kick the Dut completely, but I firmly believe it will be goodbye remaining hairline if I do.

So I’m pleased enough with my hair, less so with the regimen. I hope those of us on Fin/Dut aren’t doing ourselves any harm long-term. I guess I won’t know until that day (hopefully never) comes.

That’s about it, in a nutshell!

KD

Thanks for the detailed response, KD. And again, congrats with all your success.

All the best