Here is news everyone been waiting for

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-80624-3?utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=commission_junction&utm_campaign=3_nsn6445_deeplink_PID100021860&utm_content=deeplink

What is not so encouraging about this discovery is that it was made using whisker and fur follicle cells from mice.

Sometimes researchers (like Stemson) do initial work by transplanting human cells into bald mice (to get around the fact that human clinical trials haven’t been approved yet).

But with RIKEN’s latest discovery as that article mentions, they’re NOT using human cells grafted into mouse skin here. They’re using MOUSE cells… and mouse follicular cells are very different from human ones.

When theres a sure cure let us know

Yeah, let’s ignore all research that are done in mice. We all know by now that they can rarely replicate the results in humans.

1 Like

Agree,i

Theyre just teasing us with mice tricks… “hey we can grow hair on mice”. ok so when will you grow hair on us?

Yea but I’ve read that the study also involved human cells in humans. Is that incorrect?

Plus, I also read an initial human study is done and the human trial they want to do is a phase 1 human trial. Isn’t that correct?

Tsuji said he has confirmed safety in humans if you translate some of his Japanese text on the twitter account. This publication seemed to be more in line with the cell processing steps. It is now much more efficient, and scalable. Regardless of the model organisms, i believe it is valuable information.

@Hair_cloning_waiter See 2:31 here starting with “The bad news…”

This paper isn’t Tsuji’s main research, it’s a side experiment to prove cycling. I think with this experiment it was only about using multiplied mouse cells on mice.

The thing that concerns me here is not that they used mice as a host. Tsuji, Terskykh and others use human cells on mouse hosts all the time. But
in this experiment the cells that Tsuji cultured to test cycling were also from mice. I don’t understand why they would do this, it looks like a step backward.

which means he may still be struggling with inductivity issues despite his claims to the contrary.

@jarjarbinx I agree, he might be.

Why else would he be monkeying around with rat fur at this stage of the game?

Another poster said that Tsuji did a human study but I haven’t seen anyone else say that. Have you, Roger?

Tsuji has only done lab work using human cells implanted into mice. Human clinical trials featuring live humans have not been approved yet.

This article from 2012 shows Tsuji already figured out cycling back then …

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms1784

Quote:

“Here we demonstrate fully functional orthotopic hair regeneration via the intracutaneous transplantation of bioengineered hair follicle germ. The bioengineered hair has the correct structures of the naturally occurring hair follicle and shaft, and it forms proper connections with surrounding host tissues, such as the epidermis, arrector pili muscle and nerve fibres. The bioengineered hair follicles show full functionality, including the ability to undergo repeated hair cycles through the rearrangement of various stem cell niches, as well as responsiveness to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine (ACh).”

Just because human clinical trials with live humans have not been approved that does not mean he couldn’t use human cells in mammals capable of that. I think he could have even been able to use human skin grated to mammals, couldn’t he/

Yes, they (Tsuji, Terskikh and others) have been using human cells on mice for a while. Clinical trials only need to be approved to use human cells on humans.

What is strange about this “new” research by Tsuji is that he used mouse cells on mice.

I suspect his “new” research finding about cycling isn’t really that new, and is just something he did quickly to generate some buzz and increase his chances of raising money and finding a partner company. It’s being hyped now as almost a revolutionary discovery but it’s really nothing new, as the paper I posted above from 2012 shows.

He probably used mouse cells instead of human cells because it is quicker, much cheaper, and maybe because of COVID concerns about bringing humans into a lab for non-essential purposes.