Hello everyone

Remember me?:slight_smile:

Yup. Dut still treating you well? How about an update?

» Remember me?:slight_smile:

the name rings a bell.

how long have you been on dut and what have been the results.

is the dut generic or Avodart (GSK) branded ?

» » Remember me?:slight_smile:
»
» the name rings a bell.
»
» how long have you been on dut and what have been the results.
»
» is the dut generic or Avodart (GSK) branded ?

I’m great thanks guys. :slight_smile:

As a Procar user beforehand, I began taking Dut since it was available in early 2003, and after initially varying the dose I settled on 2 pills (1mg) per week before taking a break from it for a year or so in 2008.

I went back to it in 2009 and have been on 1 pill per week ever since, until very recently (I’ll explain below!). I started out on GSK Avodart in 2003 but switched to generics about a year later. Can’t say I noticed any difference.

To summarise, I reckon I’ve hung on to 90-95% of what I had when I started (I was just about - perhaps slightly better than - an NW2). I firmly believe that Dut is the reason I still have a decent hairline and only a minor degree of ‘widow’s peak’. I believe the loss of progress was definitely attributable to my hiatus of taking Dut, the purpose of which was to prove if I even needed to continue taking them or if I simply wasn’t programmed to lose my hair to the degree I initially feared (my brothers - 2 elder and one younger, are all far balder than I am).

If I am honest, I hadn’t hoped to be taking them this long, and wanted to come off them sooner rather than later. They are powerful drugs and that is always a worry! However they generally have never disagreed with me (can’t say I’ve noticed any major side-effects), and to my mind there still doesn’t seem to be a cheap and convenient alternative that safely yields a comparitive result.

Obviously I am concerned about the long-term effect of taking Dut for this duration, and I suppose only time will tell. However from a purely hair-oriented perspective, I don’t regret taking them one iota.

Who knows what the future holds - my wife and I are expecting a child and that is the reason I have recently had to come off them again, hence coming back here to look for a natural alternative! It appears as if we’re still in the dark ages to a degree though, and I’ve never fancied going down the surgical route. So for another few months at least, it looks as if I’ll be going cold turkey again!

Hope this serves as a decent enough report (my first in a few years!)

» that is the reason I have recently had to come off them again, hence coming
» back here to look for a natural alternative!

i wouldn’t trust any natural alternative.

if the natural alternative was doing the same thing as avodart, what would be the difference. just because somethin is called ‘natural’ does not make it any safer.

but to begin with, there isn’t anyone i know of who has taken natural stuff and actually hung onto their hair.

» As a Procar user beforehand, I began taking Dut since it was available
» in early 2003, and after initially varying the dose I settled on 2 pills
» (1mg) per week before taking a break from it for a year or so in 2008.
»
» I went back to it in 2009 and have been on 1 pill per week ever since…

On average, a dose of only 1 mg/week of dutasteride is only a little better than Propecia, and has a much-reduced serum half-life, compared to when you’re taking the full dose of 0.5 mg/day.

» On average, a dose of only 1 mg/week of dutasteride is only a little better
» than Propecia, and has a much-reduced serum half-life, compared to when
» you’re taking the full dose of 0.5 mg/day.

In theory is it possible that a person who’s 18 years old who just noticed his hairloss and who started taking Dutasteride could hang onto his hair for life as a normal, non-mpb person would?

The graphs would seem to suggest so.

Also I’d like to get your opinion of topical application of Avodart (squeezing the gelcap onto my head) once a week. Would that add any benefit beyond taking it orally? Would the med be able absorbed through the scalp?