Heliboy ; BHT NW6 Repair, 4 years later

Heliboy is well known to the forum from about 5 years ago.
He started his BHT based repair journey with me about 4 years ago. Before then he was still bald to the extent of NW6, had multiple strip scars, was head donor depleted, bad plugs, severe pitting, ridging, a hairline that cannot stand on its own etc He wore a hairpiece having lost all hope of ever relying on his own hair for coverage.

We have used hair from the:

15,000+ chest, legs, arms, abdomen, (Entire NW 6 and scar areas)
2000 Beard (Strip scars and crown)
2000 Head and Nape ( Hair line and temple work)

BEFORE

BEFORE AND AFTER

A VIDEO
Heliboy is the 2nd patient featured in this video which was shot 1 year ago:

Click VIDEO to view,

or copy and paste the following link: http://www.youtube.com/user/DrSUmar#p/u/12/oaciCGrSW-g

For free online consultation click: Free Hair Restoration Online Consultation - DermHair Clinic Los Angeles

For videos of SFET results click: Patient Photos and Videos - DermHair Clinic in Los Angeles 310-318-1500

S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
DermHair Clinic
Redondo Beach, California
+1-310-318-1500
1-877-DERMHAIR (US residents)
info@dermhairclinic.com
WEBSITE www.dermhairclinic.com
Single Follicle Extraction & Transfer (SFET)
Using Head and Body

Side-by-side comparison:

all pics seems very ok (great improvement) except the last one - view from the top. how this guy looks in real life? is view from the top in real life better than on this presented photo? maybe lightening on this photo shows him more bald or i’m wrong?

Krapok
I appreciate your comment on improvement from my intial days. The pics were horrible and literally depressing and bring back alot of bad memories of my past which I no longer live with . I dont post much on Hairsite these days with alot of updates as I have essentially been able to move on with life so i dont check in much.

I had a professional photographer take the photos for me as to show a true consistency from various angles . As you can see there is virtually no area on my vast Norwood 6 area from the beginning 4 years that didnt have a great improvement to meet my expectations.

In years past I posted my goals etc when I began my Body hair transplant repair with Dr Umar but it has been a while since I posted so I want to make sure that all of the important points are covered . My case is one of the first to use body hair/and beard hair as the overall course of treatment for repairing the scar and other major scalp damage and I believe since that time in 2005 a great deal has been learned in terms of expectations /realistic goals from BHT.

1. As initially planned by Dr Umar in 2005 upon my first visit the total of
    over 4 1/2 years I have worked on what my goals in phases due to the vast
    amount of work needed to accomplish my goals. This was documented
    extensively over the years on Hairsite.

2).The first major area of concern was the extensive scarring which has taken
approximately 4000-5000 grafts to fill in . This is something that when
my case is presented I feel is often forgotten about because upon initial
viewing of my pics the hairline/top/crown are the areas of peak interest.

1. So essentially from the 21,000grafts used over this vast (17,000 body
    hair + 2000 scalp hair for the hairline+ 2000 beard hair grats )4000-5000
    of those total were used in the scar. My strip scars were very extensive.
    So thats essentially 14,000-15,000 body hair grafts used overmy Norwood 6
    area.

2. Dr Umar decided in 2005 that we would work in phases - to complete my
    goals. The first goal was the understanding that BHT expectations cannot
    be compared 1:1 with scalp hair. (I wont go into that as I have done so
    many times over the years of individuals looking for BHT to yield the same
    1:1 hair expectation/yield as scalp hair. (Actaully it takes 2-3 (often 4)
    body hair in most cases to meet same goal as 1 scalp hair). Beard hair
    is different .

3. I never expected my hair to be ‘thick’ from day 1 of my BHT restroation .
    Only enough to provide sufficient coverage/ and my biggest goal was to
    restore a ‘youthful’ hairline look that I have done and has changed my life
    completely. (More than you can possibly even imagine). I also enjoy my hair
    cut very short which is comfortable for me and offers a good look.So
    combing over isnt an option. Basically what you see is what it is in my
    case which i feel is excellent coverage.

4. In my last procedure back in April/May of 2009 (approx 9 months ago)I had
    my first use of beard hair in various area (including the hairline temples
    and my crown area ) which I can say was one of the most dramatic
    changes I have seen since my Body Hair transplant experience began in
    2005 (and I’ve seen quite a bit) . When I began my BHT repair rettoration
    to simply try and look normal again in 2005 beard hair use wasnt in
    practice and not an option. Now it has become essentially for those with
    depleted donor sources in Norwood 5-6-7 cases a first priority choice
    after scalp hair. This is often called the hybrid transplant).

5. So essentially your view of my top pic showing what seems to be a lesser
    area of coverage than the front or back is because that area on top only
    is essentially body hair arms/chest only) versus the front hairline/temple
    area that has seen combinations used to fulfill my density needs. I will
    be using a small amount of beard hair on the top to provide the
    proportional density that I have been able to achieve in the crown and
    hairline areas.

6. For those with large Norwood areas a ‘one time miracle’ isnt always the
    case and requires a great deal of patience and realistic expectations to
    achieve your goals. I feel that now with the inclusion of beard hair into
    the overall restoration process provides many more optins to achieve our
    goals when donor hair isnt the only apply available (in larger Norwood
    and extensive repair cases).

First and foremost for anyone = always remember that the most important goal
is to be realistic and when reviewing others cases is to remember that their
goals are often times variable than others (especially those that look at scalp hair results only. Mine was to provide sufficient coverage and repair to live my life normally and with alot of pride and self esteem. I have achieved those goals so essentially anything now as they say - is icing on the cake. Thanks to the great advancements made by Dr Umar I was proud to take the pics and show them. Over the coarse of of 2010 I will at some point fill in the small areas on the top pic that you referred with beard hair to provide a bit more density but its not an issue at all because i keep my hair cut short (usually a #3 guard on my hairclippers)and a # 1 guard on the sides/back. All I can say is that when using body hair transplants/beard hair becomes an option and not a necessity as I felt in 2005 you can be proud of your accomplishments.

Thanks again for your inquiry and review of my pics.

Heliboy do you find the body hair becoming softer after a couple years? Does the texture become more like scalp hair?

hello
i have a question that is relevant to my own case. For some reason ive lost a lot of hair all over my scalp, diffuse thinning as its called. My only option seems to be bht. Id like to know about the quality of the body hair you used. Do you have a very robust and thick, fast growing body hair or more on the flimsy side? I myself have body hair that i have always hated until now, its texture is much like scalp hair, thicker then scalp hair, grows faster then scalp hair, so i am assuming i am a better candidate then most folks who opt for bht and who also have hair that can hardly be seen on their body.
Also why does your hairline and your scalp in general seem so reddish and almost ‘raw’ looking as if you had your work done recently?
Thanks

» Heliboy do you find the body hair becoming softer after a couple years?
» Does the texture become more like scalp hair?
(Craig= Based on my personal experience I find that body hair after 1 year of a couple of years does one thing= feel exactly like it does on the body before transplantation while on the body . I say that only because I believe prior to and during the initial phases /years of 'BHT wondering phase" years ago about how it works/does it work / etc. this is one the questions asked which was a good question that only time would answer.

The rule of thumb with body hair - if you feel / see the hair on your arms it will likely look and feel that way on your scalp-. Same goes for chest /legs /back etc. There has been some question as to whether or not body hair grows longer and becomes almost a drone of the scalp hair it replaed and make a major magic transformation - and the answer is no . That is why it is SSOOOOOOOOO important to see a physician that is truly experienced with BHT (and not just FUE). A BHT surgeon knows by analysis of your exisiting body hair what combinations will be the best fit to achieve the best result for your specific expectation. (example: #proportional chest grafts to leg grafts / or beard hair to scalp grats.) There is a true artisty to beard hair and body hair use to know what combinations will provide the most productive benefit.

Again- in my opinion beard hair is now leading the BHT revolution because of its robust density and enhanced legnth in combination with other body hair donor supplies.

Hope that helps you some. Good question!
Greg

» hello
» i have a question that is relevant to my own case. For some reason ive
» lost a lot of hair all over my scalp, diffuse thinning as its called. My
» only option seems to be bht. Id like to know about the quality of the body
» hair you used. Do you have a very robust and thick, fast growing body hair
» or more on the flimsy side? I myself have body hair that i have always
» hated until now, its texture is much like scalp hair, thicker then scalp
» hair, grows faster then scalp hair, so i am assuming i am a better
» candidate then most folks who opt for bht and who also have hair that can
» hardly be seen on their body.
» Also why does your hairline and your scalp in general seem so reddish and
» almost ‘raw’ looking as if you had your work done recently?
» Thanks

(((Mr Bean- One of the first discussions made when talking with a BHT surgeon is exactly the question that you have asked. What is the quality of my body hair to meet my needs? I like to use the simple scale of (1 to 10). I was told by Dr Umar back in 2005 during our initial planning phase that my hair rated an approx 6 on the quality scale from 1-10. This is why I say that every individuals case is different because if you have a quality 9 rating your expectations can be higher. In your case you sound as if you have excellent quality hair .

To give you an even better example I discuss beard hair. My beard hair quality rating is approximately a 9 to 10 much higher than my body hair. This is why I am now doing some minor finish up work with beard hair only because of the quality rating and expectations . This is why I dont like to group Body Hair and Beard Hair as one becuase the quality of the hair is often times in most completely different and each can be used strategically by the M.D for various purposes/combinations.

You asked about my pics seemingly having a reddish color to them. Now that is an excellent question. If you read my previous post about being able to now move on and enjoy my life part of that was that I purchased two jet skis and 2 kayaks this past summer in June of 2009. I virtually lived outdoors and on the beach/inland waterway on the kayak until November and my scalp even with sunscreen ‘took a beating’ from the sun but i had a blast !!! Kayaking is the most relaxing outdoor activity I have ever experienced. I did get a nice tan from it but the particular day last fall before I had these pics taken I had been out in my kayak all day and got a slight sunburn on top. Despite the sunburn I told him to use natural light so the pictures were true so the ‘raw’ sunburn look showed up a bit much . So the redness wasnt from any previous procedured of any sort.

As I will sometimes end my post I like to remind = those seeking BHT/beard hair work must seek reaslistic expectations and understand them. It does work in the right hands of the surgeon performing the producedure and with the right attitude of the person receiving them!

Heliboy - probably stupid question but i ask anyway… are you on meds too?

btw… i like your hairline design. hopefully i can get something similar in the future.

If you read my previous post about being able to now move on and enjoy my life part of that was that I purchased two jet skis and 2 kayaks this past summer in June of 2009. I virtually lived outdoors and on the beach/inland waterway on the kayak until November and my scalp even with sunscreen ‘took a beating’ from the sun but i had a blast !!!

This statement really says it all Heliboy. It looks like you have stopped worrying about your hair and are now able to enjoy life again. It’s the greatest gift a procedure can give you. I am happy for you!!!

I respect Dr Umar as one of the top 3 docs in the USA
however
Is it just me that , well from the back, the whirl pattern of the transplanted hair in the crown is WAY too low and unnatural
unless I missed something

Then again when i look at his original hair line, it appears that this low crown whirl pattern was there to begin with, which is odd
If so my apologies

»
»
»

»

»
»
»
»
» Heliboy is well known to the forum from about 5 years ago.
» He started his BHT based repair journey with me about 4 years ago. Before
» then he was still bald to the extent of NW6, had multiple strip scars, was
» head donor depleted, bad plugs, severe pitting, ridging, a hairline that
» cannot stand on its own etc He wore a hairpiece having lost all hope of
» ever relying on his own hair for coverage.
»
» We have used hair from the:
»
» 15,000+ chest, legs, arms, abdomen, (Entire NW 6 and scar areas)
» 2000 Beard (Strip scars and crown)
» 2000 Head and Nape ( Hair line and temple work)
»
» BEFORE
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
» BEFORE AND AFTER
»
»
»
»
»
»

»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
» ‘
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
» A VIDEO
» Heliboy is the 2nd patient featured in this video which was shot 1 year
» ago:
»
» Click
» VIDEO
»
to view,
»
» or copy and paste the following link:
» http://www.youtube.com/user/DrSUmar#p/u/12/oaciCGrSW-g
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
» For free online consultation click:
» Free Hair Restoration Online Consultation - DermHair Clinic Los Angeles
»
»
» For videos of SFET results click:
» Patient Photos and Videos - DermHair Clinic in Los Angeles 310-318-1500
»
»
» S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
» DermHair Clinic
» Redondo Beach, California
» +1-310-318-1500
» 1-877-DERMHAIR (US residents)
» info@dermhairclinic.com
» WEBSITE www.dermhairclinic.com
» Single Follicle Extraction & Transfer (SFET)
» Using Head and Body

» 3) Dr Umar decided in 2005 that we would work in phases - to complete my »
» goals. The first goal was the understanding that BHT expectations cannot
» be compared 1:1 with scalp hair. (I wont go into that as I have done» so
» many times over the years of individuals looking for BHT to yield the same
» 1:1 hair expectation/yield as scalp hair. (Actaully it takes 2-3 (often 4)
» body hair in most cases to meet same goal as 1 scalp hair). Beard hair»
» is different .
»

I’m not sure why it would take more beard hair than bodyhair, other then the more robust quality and increased diameter of the beard hair over the body hair or the fact that beard hair can grow longer than body hair?
With beard hair, if left uncut, it will grow as long as scalp hair on most people, making it an excellent choice. Your transformation is pretty remarkable, being able to wear your hair so short after being forced to wear it long to cover the strip scars must feel extremely liberating, I’m happy for you, looks great by the way

» I respect Dr Umar as one of the top 3 docs in the USA
» however
» Is it just me that , well from the back, the whirl pattern of the
» transplanted hair in the crown is WAY too low and unnatural
» unless I missed something
»
» Then again when i look at his original hair line, it appears that this low
» crown whirl pattern was there to begin with, which is odd
» If so my apologies

Your later observation is correct, the crown whirl was that way from nature. I did not try to change what nature had created.

Regards,

For free online consultation click: Free Hair Restoration Online Consultation - DermHair Clinic Los Angeles

For videos of SFET results click: Patient Photos and Videos - DermHair Clinic in Los Angeles 310-318-1500

S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
DermHair Clinic
Redondo Beach, California
+1-310-318-1500
1-877-DERMHAIR (US residents)
info@dermhairclinic.com
WEBSITE www.dermhairclinic.com
Single Follicle Extraction & Transfer (SFET)
Using Head and Body

Looking good Heliboy!!! The smile on your face really captures your present confident state of mind. It says it all.

Have a good one,

Atticus:-)

Good catch, I would never have paid attention to that had you not brought this up. BTW, who are the other 2 top docs in the US?

» I respect Dr Umar as one of the top 3 docs in the USA
» however
» Is it just me that , well from the back, the whirl pattern of the
» transplanted hair in the crown is WAY too low and unnatural
» unless I missed something
»
» Then again when i look at his original hair line, it appears that this low
» crown whirl pattern was there to begin with, which is odd
» If so my apologies

» Good catch, I would never have paid attention to that had you not brought
» this up. BTW, who are the other 2 top docs in the US?
»
» » I respect Dr Umar as one of the top 3 docs in the USA
» » however
» » Is it just me that , well from the back, the whirl pattern of the
» » transplanted hair in the crown is WAY too low and unnatural
» » unless I missed something
» »
» » Then again when i look at his original hair line, it appears that this
» low
» » crown whirl pattern was there to begin with, which is odd
» » If so my apologies

Maybe it is the nature. Maybe to some HT patients it becomes to look that way because patients had their heads given to HT doctors to take ‘multiple strips” ,so with every strip taken away the elastic scalp contracts puling the crown whirl more down than normal and puling the skin on the top of patients neck more up than normal.Also, the normal hairless gaps around the ears could be enlarged, sometimes to a bizarre degree. The patient’s remaining hair could often be permanently re-set at an unnatural angle…etc.

But whichever it is in this case,nature,or art,maybe HT doctors,who carve strips from heads need to tell their patients of such possibilities (probabilities?)

It is great improvement Heliboy.I am sorry you had to suffer.Please correct me and tell me that I am wrong,if I am,when I say - IMO,Heliboy’s whirl pattern of the crown probably was NOT always " WAY too low and unnatural".It probably became that way after his HT surgeries.Best wishes.

» Heliboy - probably stupid question but i ask anyway… are you on meds
» too?
»
» btw… i like your hairline design. hopefully i can get something similar
» in the future.
(Krapok)
Not a stupid question at all. I am not taking any medications for hair loss prevention.

Regarding the hairline I cant even begin to tell you how much the completion affected me to stop my worries of hair loss.It was like turning off a light switch that was connected to my hair loss worries/esteem issues. Hairline to me is the confidence builder - in my opinion - essentially because that is what you see most often day to day. Of course everything else must be in proportion as well but the hairline is crucial and Dr Umar really created an excellent hairline that works for me. For me the temple closure and lowering of the hairline to fit my face from the beginning of my transformation work in 2005 was important .It really frames the face and removes any look of recession. The temple closure was was very important to me because I keep my hair cut very short and legnth of the hair isnt a big issue.

Hope you can work towards getting the hairline you want .

» » Good catch, I would never have paid attention to that had you not
» brought
» » this up. BTW, who are the other 2 top docs in the US?
» »
» » » I respect Dr Umar as one of the top 3 docs in the USA
» » » however
» » » Is it just me that , well from the back, the whirl pattern of the
» » » transplanted hair in the crown is WAY too low and unnatural
» » » unless I missed something
» » »
» » » Then again when i look at his original hair line, it appears that
» this
» » low
» » » crown whirl pattern was there to begin with, which is odd
» » » If so my apologies
»
» Maybe it is the nature. Maybe to some HT patients it becomes to look that
» way because patients had their heads given to HT doctors to take ‘multiple
» strips” ,so with every strip taken away the elastic scalp contracts puling
» the crown whirl more down than normal and puling the skin on the top of
» patients neck more up than normal.Also, the normal hairless gaps around the
» ears could be enlarged, sometimes to a bizarre degree. The patient’s
» remaining hair could often be permanently re-set at an unnatural
» angle…etc.
»
» But whichever it is in this case,nature,or art,maybe HT doctors,who carve
» strips from heads need to tell their patients of such possibilities
» (probabilities?)
»
» It is great improvement Heliboy.I am sorry you had to suffer.Please
» correct me and tell me that I am wrong,if I am,when I say - IMO,Heliboy’s
» whirl pattern of the crown probably was NOT always " WAY too low and
» unnatural".It probably became that way after his HT surgeries.Best wishes.

John35
I totally agree with you on your view of laxity issue following old procedures. Regarding my crown/whirl - Honestly I have never paid any attention to any unusual look of the whirl pattern that I have in the back. I do keep that portion of my hair cut with a #3 guard with my hair clippers so its a slight bit longer than the back of my head which is a #1 guard- but I get out of the shower-dry off and go about my business. Its just the way I was made I guess. Really nothing more to it than that and I can say - I really enjoy having it whirl. :-))

Thanks for the compliments. Much appreciated.

Dr Umar- I havent posted in a while but remember your enthusiam over beard hair and its potential. I was watching this technololgy progress since you’ve worked on me and am wondering if beard hair would be a good donor source for fully closing off the temple point area or would it be too coarse?

thanks for your feedback. it meant a lot to me :slight_smile:
now i know that there are some people who doesn’t take drugs after ht and have impressive results. i haven’t took any drugs before and i even don’t wanna try them. hopefully getting ht in the future my results going to be good too :slight_smile: