HairDX Announces Clinical Trial Of Genetically Tailored Therapy for Female Baldn

Latest News - News Viewer - MarketWatch

I don’t know if this will be beneficial to MPB but it maybe another step in that direction.

Does anyone know the company that’s involved and whether they are trustworthy or not.

latest news [UIS] Unisys board OKs reverse stock split for NYSE compliance
PRESS RELEASE
HairDX Announces Clinical Trial Of Genetically Tailored Therapy for Female Baldness

Last update: 10:08 a.m. EDT Oct. 7, 2008
IRVINE, Calif., Oct 07, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) – Pharmacogenomics research and development innovator PharmaGenoma, Inc. and its subsidiary HairDX, LLC ( www.hairdx.com), today announced that it has received institutional review board (IRB) approval to begin a clinical trial of a genetically tailored therapy for female baldness (Androgenetic Alopecia).
“Our goal is to revolutionize the field of dermatology by innovating genetically tailored treatments to common skin disorders,” said Andy Goren, Chairman and Chief Strategist of PharmaGenoma, Inc and HairDX, LLC.
HairDX will soon begin recruiting post menopausal women as patients for the study. Women who qualify for the study will undergo genetic screening. If they exhibit a particular genetic variation in their Androgen Receptor gene, they will receive a drug that may potentially re-grow their hair. The trial is expected to start in the early Fall.
“To date, no systemic drug treatment is available for Female Androgenetic Alopecia. The HairDX drug trial may usher a new era in the treatment of Female Androgenetic Alopecia,” said Antonella Tosti, MD, Professor of Dermatology at the University of Bologna in Italy.
“Dermatologists often prescribe women drugs for the treatment of hair loss; however, only a fraction of women respond to the therapy. If the HairDX clinical trial proves successful, dermatologists will be able to individually tailor treatment for hair loss based on a woman’s genetic makeup,” said Professor Doron Lancet, Head of the Crown Human Genome Center at the Department of Molecular Genetics, Weizmann Institute of Science.
Earlier this year, HairDX became the first company to market genetic tests that predict an individual’s risk for the male or female versions of Androgenetic Alopecia. The test is available through physicians.
HairDX uses a CLIA certified laboratory (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments) to perform the genetic analysis, offering physicians a powerful screening test for Androgenetic Alopecia before any visible signs of hair loss. The HairDX test results can assist a physician in choosing a course of action as to maintain a patient’s hair.
About HairDX, LLC
HairDX, LLC is a subsidiary of PharmaGenoma, Inc. Based in Irvine, CA, HairDX ( www.hairdx.com) HairDX is an FDA registered pharmacogenomics research and development company. HairDX markets the first genetic test for male and female hair loss. The company is dedicated to the research and development of new prescription based therapies tailored to an individual’s genetic make up.
Among HairDX leaders is William V. Murray former Division President of the Molecular Biology Division of Applied BioSystems, Inc., who formerly served in various executive leadership positions within Medtronic, Inc., Andy Goren former CEO of MobileWise, Inc. and GeePS, Inc., David Teckman, former CEO of Sutura, Inc, a medical device company, Professor Doron Lancet, PhD, Head of the Crown Human Genome Center at the Department of Molecular Genetics, Weizmann Institute of Science, Dr Elon Pras, Director of the Institute of Human Genetics, Sheba Medical Center in Tel-Hashomer, Israel, Sharon Keene, MD and President and Medical Director of Physician’s Hair Institute, in Tucson, Arizona and nationally recognized for her pioneering work in the hair transplant field, and Elliott J. Stein, an intellectual property attorney and co-founder of GeePS, Inc.
SOURCE: HairDX, LLC
HairDX, LLC
Jon Boroshok, 978-502-1055
Public Relations
jonb@hairdx.com

» Latest News - News Viewer - MarketWatch
»
» I don’t know if this will be beneficial to MPB but it maybe another step
» in that direction.
»
» Does anyone know the company that’s involved and whether they are
» trustworthy or not.

That sounds like awesome news!! whatever it is its involving genes…so it must be related to MPB…

And why is this only for women at the moment? :expressionless:

» And why is this only for women at the moment? :expressionless:

I think thats not really anything we should count on. HairDX is a company that sells a test to doctors which acts like a genetics screening for females and males to determine how much they are likely to lose their hair.
So their business is most likely just to analyse genes, not to change them in any way (because thats really much much more difficult and would be revolutionary).

So why it’s only for women? I think because men already have finasteride. It sounds like all they intend to do is make a genetic screening and then give the woman a fitting therapy (like with topical spiro or whatever women use).

““Dermatologists often prescribe women drugs for the treatment of hair loss; however, only a fraction of women respond to the therapy. If the HairDX clinical trial proves successful, dermatologists will be able to individually tailor treatment for hair loss based on a woman’s genetic makeup,” said Professor Doron Lancet, Head of the Crown Human Genome Center at the Department of Molecular Genetics, Weizmann Institute of Science.”

Gene therapy is really far away for us balding guys, thats a fact to face, and HairDX won’t really help us with that, except telling us how likely we are to go bald (which unfortunately doesnt change the outcome…)

» » And why is this only for women at the moment? :expressionless:
»
» I think thats not really anything we should count on. HairDX is a company
» that sells a test to doctors which acts like a genetics screening for
» females and males to determine how much they are likely to lose their hair.
»
» So their business is most likely just to analyse genes, not to change them
» in any way (because thats really much much more difficult and would be
» revolutionary).
»
» So why it’s only for women? I think because men already have finasteride.
» It sounds like all they intend to do is make a genetic screening and then
» give the woman a fitting therapy (like with topical spiro or whatever women
» use).
»
» ““Dermatologists often prescribe women drugs for the treatment of hair
» loss; however, only a fraction of women respond to the therapy. If the
» HairDX clinical trial proves successful, dermatologists will be able to
» individually tailor treatment for hair loss based on a woman’s genetic
» makeup,” said Professor Doron Lancet, Head of the Crown Human Genome Center
» at the Department of Molecular Genetics, Weizmann Institute of Science.”
»
» Gene therapy is really far away for us balding guys, thats a fact to face,
» and HairDX won’t really help us with that, except telling us how likely we
» are to go bald (which unfortunately doesnt change the outcome…)

Well there you go folks it’s taken less than 24 hours for a person who isn’t involved in anyway whatsoever to dismiss it, This is before we have any real facts about what it is they will be doing.

»
» Well there you go folks it’s taken less than 24 hours for a person who
» isn’t involved in anyway whatsoever to dismiss it, This is before we have
» any real facts about what it is they will be doing.

I didn’t dismiss anything, i just shared my thoughts (read: “i THINK” in my reply). In such cases you just read over the article and make up your mind. In this case all i did was doing the maths. Face a few simple facts:

• If they had a genetic “cure” in their hands, they would give a sh*t about women’s hairloss, as they would as any company like to make some money.

• Genetherapy just is something completely different then analysing genes. It takes the whole thing to a different level, and it is still in the beginning of development (how many working genetherapies which are really used do you know?)

• just really READ the article and tell me where it says that they gonna CHANGE ANYTHING with the genes. All they do is supporting a Therapy based on the genes, that might me a really cool thing, but its no a breakthrough.

• Why are women of special interest for this company? Maybe because most people they screen are women, as naturally women are more concerned about their looks than men (except gay men maybe) so they are more likely to pay a company money to just know if they are likely to lose their hair sometime or not.

If you want a really knowledgeable answer from someone whos “involved” then you have a happy fun time waiting for it. Just dont bug me because i try to contribute my thoughts, maybe destroying your dream, just giving an opinion thou.

» And why is this only for women at the moment? :expressionless:

probably because it involves a powerful anti-androgen drug.

anti-androgens are used for men, too, of course, but if one could be found that works for women in the form of a pill, it might regrow all the hair a woman lost.

if the same kind of powerful anti-androgen was given to a man in pill form, he’d probably grow breasts and get other female sex characteristics.

this is NOT gene therapy.

when ppl see “genetically” they automatically think “gene therapy”

but did they say anything about gene therapy? i think not…

they are using a term “genetically tailored”, which could mean anything, and isn’t really a widely used scientific term, as far as i can tell.

i think what they mean by “genetically tailored” is just that the pill or drug that they’re gonna develop is targeted at whatever is wrong with the woman’s genes – e.g., she is positive for androgenetic alopecia (which in men, is mpb… in women it causes female pattern baldness).

this is not a outrageous development, pharma companies often tailor drugs to people’s genes.

in fact if they know what is wrong with a person’s genes, they can sometimes custom design a drug, by computer, that will fix the specific genetic fault.

maybe they’re developing a custom drug that targets androgenetic alopecia, but is really only usable in women, because it’s a potent anti androgen and if you give it to a man, he’d develop breasts, impotence, etc.

some guys are getting erectile problems and other bad side effects now from drugs like propecia and dutasteride. these side effects are usually mild.

i think they are designing this drug for women that will exactly target androdgenetic alopecia, which is the exact same set of genetic errors in men with male pattern baldness, only in female the hairloss is more diffuse. but it’s the same gene.

now if you developed a very strong anti androgen, that will be powerful enough to not just stop hairloss and regrow some hair like finasteride or dutasteride do, but actually is strong enough to grow back most of the hair, are you gonna give this drug to a man???

no, if you slipped that drug to a man, there would be massive unwanted side effects… sure, some men would want to take it just to get their hair back, but it would make them the equivalent of chemical eunuchs. very few men would want this.

but for women, it’s a different story.

for instance i work with a woman who is about 53 and she has really serious androgenetic alopecia. she wears her hair long, too, down to her shoulders, but on the top it is extremely thin.

this kind of drug could really help her, because if she took it, she wouldn’t mind the side effects, whatever they were. if her breasts grew bigger, i’m sure she’d like that… :stuck_out_tongue:

so that is what they mean by “genetically tailored”… it’s just tailored to your genes, NOT changing your genes like a gene therapy would do.

an ya don’t stop…

baldbaby. parlayin’ to the ol skool beats since da 0-8.