Hair transplant in patients suffering from Diabetes

Dear forum readers,
Recently we happened to come across a patient with diabetes, who thought we were rejecting a hair transplant for him on arbitrary grounds.

We have a policy that, for a diabetic patient:

1. His endocrinologist/physician treating his diabetes should be in picture,
  2. The patient’s blood sugar levels should be within normal range for atleast 1 day before the procedure to 7 days after(in FUSE/fue method), and 20 days after (in strip FUHT method).

We tried to explain the risk of infection, necrosis and attendant complications if this is not adhered to.
However, when we tried to show him articles on the net about the precautions required for diabetic people planning hair transplant, we realized there was no information.

Therefore, I hope this thread will be the “missing link” and a helpful source of information on this topic for prospective patients and hair transplant doctors alike.
As a start, I would refer readers to Management of diabetes mellitus during surgery. - PMC to get a background information.

Do not hesitate to post your queries and suggestions.
Regards,
Dr. A

» Dear forum readers,
» Recently we happened to come across a patient with diabetes, who thought we
» were rejecting a hair transplant for him on arbitrary grounds.
»
» We have a policy that, for a diabetic patient:
» 1. His endocrinologist/physician treating his diabetes should be in
» picture,
» 2. The patient’s blood sugar levels should be within normal range for
» atleast 1 day before the procedure to 7 days after(in FUSE/fue method), and
» 20 days after (in strip FUHT method).
»
» We tried to explain the risk of infection, necrosis and attendant
» complications if this is not adhered to.
» However, when we tried to show him articles on the net about the
» precautions required for diabetic people planning hair transplant, we
» realized there was no information.
»
» Therefore, I hope this thread will be the “missing link” and a helpful
» source of information on this topic for prospective patients and hair
» transplant doctors alike.
» As a start, I would refer readers to
» http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1026786/ to get a background
» information.
»
» Do not hesitate to post your queries and suggestions.
» Regards,
» Dr. A

Dr. A, thanks for sharing. What about patient whose family has a history of diabetes but the patient himself is not diabetic? Any concerns about that, is it ok to operate on the patient under these circumstances?

»
» Dr. A, thanks for sharing. What about patient whose family has a history
» of diabetes but the patient himself is not diabetic? Any concerns about
» that, is it ok to operate on the patient under these circumstances?

Dear damraak,
If the patient has a family history of diabetes, I would advise him to get bloog sugar tests performed. If his blood sugar levels are normal, we can perform a hair transplant on him.
Regards,
Dr. A

I have a few questions for you Dr. A… I hope you answer and thank you in advance,

You stated the risks of a diabetic patient having a hair transplant with uncontrolled diabetes could potentially cause problems that could reduce growth results and in severe complications could potentially cause necrosis. This is true however in my opinion and experiences with multiple clinics the blanket statement of being diabetic doesn’t preclude a patient from a transplant.

You state:

"The patient’s blood sugar levels should be within normal range for atleast 1 day before the procedure to 7 days after(in FUSE/fue method), and 20 days after (in strip FUHT method).

Here are my questions"

1. How do you know a patient will have a blood sugar within normal range after any procedure?

2. If a patient has a normal blood glucose level within one day of a procedure how does that predict the outcome of a procedure?

Here is the problem here. Diabetes unless severely uncontrolled is not a rule out for a hair transplant. We transplant many diabetic patients and with a full consultation of the potential complications as well as the good outcomes.:slight_smile:

Good questions hairtech

» Good questions hairtech

Franklin! How the heck are you brotha? Long time no see. :smiley:

I am not a doctor but I think the ethical thing to do is to flat out refuse all diabetic patients. It’s not about hair anymore, you are risking the patient’s life.

Dear readers,
The purpose of this thread is not to claim that hair transplants can be performed on Diabetic patients.
As more doctors enter the field of hair transplant and HTs themselves become more popular, the aim is to create a knowledge base.
Doctors and prospective patients alike can peruse it…decide who is a good candidate…and know the extra level of precautions that will be required in each category of patients.

As I stated at the start of the thread, I didnt find any article on this topic on the net.

Regards,
Dr. A

Diabetic patients can be divided into following categories -

1. Those with family history of diabetes but who are not themselves Diabetic

2. NIDDM (non insulin dependant Diabetes Mellitus) sub divided into:
    2a. Those whose blood sugar levels are in normal range by dietary precautions and they do not need medication
    2b. Those patients who require oral medications to bring their blood sugar levels in normal range
    2c. Those patients who need insulin injections with/without above medications
    to bring their blood sugar levels in normal range
    2d. Those patients whose blood sugar levels are not in normal range inspite of all above measures.

3. IDDM (insulin dependant Diabetes Mellitus) sub divided into:
    3a. Those whose blood sugar levels are in normal range by dietary precautions and they do not need insulin
    3b. Those patients who need insulin injections with/without above medications
    to bring their blood sugar levels in normal range
    3c. Those patients whose blood sugar levels are not in normal range inspite of all measures.

Category 1 qualifies for getting hair transplant performed;
Categories 2d and 3c are absolutely not suitable candidates (informing them of inherent dangers and getting their consent is not suitable enough as hair transplant is elective surgery - not a life and death situation).

Its the categories in between that we need to talk about.
Q.1 Whom to involve in the decision making (definitely the patient’s endocrinologist). Also the patients spouse or close relative who can make sure he adheres to the regimen required post HT. Remember there are privacy issues involved here.

Q. 2 What regimen to follow during the procedure for the different category of patients?

Q. 3 Whom to refuse based on the psychological profile of the patient?

Regards,
Dr. A

All’s well Hairtech how’s everything with you?

» All’s well Hairtech how’s everything with you?

Franklin,

Everything is good on my end. Since we last talked I was probably with Mwamba or Harris from Colorado which as you probably know is pioneering a robot FUE thingy. Not exactly a fan yet but it seems to be the cutting edge of FUE in some patients.

Anywho I left there because I was looking to start an FUE program at Shapiro Medical Group in Minneapolis, MN. And four years later it is going well.

We should keep it touch Franklin… been years since we spoke.

:slight_smile:

Ok So I missed the replies. Here goes…

1. Johnp is wrong. You cannot just refuse a diabetic patient for a hair transplant because they are diabetic. There are levels of diabetes that are minimal and severe.

2. Dr. A You did not answer my questions with all due respect. We have transplanted an IDDM type II and had a great outcome. We monitored the glucose levels pre-operatively, intra-operatively, and post operatively, and had several adjustments (insulin) along the way due to prednisone and other medicinal issues.

Just saying…

Following is a link to a good article regarding perioperative management of diabetic patients undergoing surgery (even though it is not specifically about hair transplants)

Regards,
Dr. A

During the surgery
Here I borrow extensively from the resources available knowing that they talk about major operations requiring general anesthesia.
But to keep things in perspective, we have to remember that -

1. while most major operations are completed in a couple of hours, a typical hair transplant lasts 6 to 7 hours (if not over multiple 8 hours for a few days).
  2. The actual number and surface area of the surgical cuts (both in donor and recipient) is more then in most other surgeries.
  3. Stress (not just due to anxiety but also due to the anesthetic fluids injected) is more then for a simple dental procedure.

In short, a hair transplant surgery will lead to increased production of cortisol, glucagon, growth hormone etc., (all of which increase blood sugar levels)with a simultaneous decrease in insulin production.
As a result the insulin requirement for the patient during the procedure will be more then otherwise.
At the same time, the traditional method of giving an IV bolus dose of insulin before the start of operation will not necessarily work (will cause hypoglycemia if the dose is too high or as the effect wears off will cause hyperglycemia and ketosis in 4 to 5 hours).

So, if a diabetic patient is chosen for surgery, the ideal intra operative requirements would be:

1. Regular intra operative blood glucose level monitoring (you do not wait to send the blood sample to lab and wait for results to come the next day)
  2. Administering insulin (preferably in form of an infusion) depending on the blood glucose levels obtained from the above tests irrespective of the dosage the patients was taking in routine.
  3. To keep IV dextrose (glucose) ready in case its required due to low blood glucose levels.

Regards,
Dr. A

so you agree that a diabetic patient is able to be transplanted. Yes?

It strikes me odd that you would have to go to extremes with a a typical insulin dependent diabetic patient. All we have done in the past and as recent as two weeks ago in a severe diabetic patient was to check their glucose level once per hour via finger pricks on an over the counter glucose monitoring hand held machine… And when the glucose increased due to trauma, stress, cortisol, synthetic steroids, food, etc… we adjusted the insulin. Most recently a patient had an intraobdominal insulin pump and the patient literally typed the adjustment on a small screen and boom… problem kept in check.

So in summary in my opinion most all diabetic patients should be able to receive a hair transplant.

NIDDM patients, theoretically, should not need insulin injections to keep their blood glucose levels in normal range.

However, in reality a significant proportion of these patients can not keep their blood glucose levels in normal range with diet, exercise and oral medications alone. (They will need insulin injections for that). But they carry on with blood glucose levels 20 to 30% higher than the upper limit of the normal range.
One of the reason behind this is their fear that once they start insulin injections they will be stuck for life with ever increasing doses of the injections.

Most NIDDM patients, (2b and 2c especially, in certain instances 2a), will require insulin injections during and for a certain period of time after their hair transplant surgery due to :

1. Additional surgery induced stress leading to higher blood glucose levels.
  2. Higher chances of infection due to the nature of the procedure and diabetes.

It is important for the doctor to educate the patient in this respect and to refuse surgery if the patients refuses to comply.

This brings us to the next question - since hair transplant is an outpatient procedure and the patient will not be admitted and under observation - how should the doctor proceed.
That is where careful patient screening, keeping the patient’s endocrinologist and a close family member in picture comes in.

The moral responsibility of the HT doctor should not end with the end of the surgery. He/she does not have the luxury to say “I told you so!!” .

Regards,
Dr. A

I would request readers who are suffering from diabetes to please post and share their thoughts.
Regards,
Dr. A

Most ethical hair transplant physicians and especially the more well know clinics with years of experience carefully review these situations where there are IDDM and NIDDM diabetic patients… and especially here in the USA.

I agree with you here though I hope there are diabetic post transplant patients that would share their experiences. Thank you.

Dear readers,

Complications that may be encountered in Diabetic patients undergoing hair transplants –

1. Diabetic Ketoacidosis,
  2. Hypoglycemia
  3. Hyperglycemia

Given that modern Hair transplants last over many hours and sometimes over multiple days (in case of FUSE/fue), it is important for hair transplant doctors as well as technicians to be aware of the earliest signs and symptoms of such conditions to diagnose and treat such conditions at the onset.

Diabetic Keto acidosis (DKA) –
DKA is a potentially life threatening complication in patient suffering from Diabetes. It happens predominantly in those with Type 1 Diabetes but can also occur in those with Type 2 Diabetes.
DKA results from a shortage of insulin. As a result, the body starts burning fatty acids and producing ketone bodies.
DKA may also be the first symptom of previously undiagnosed diabetes. So it is important to ask for family history of diabetes in all patients going for hair transplant surgery and take all necessary precautions.
Signs and symptoms :-
The earliest signs and symptoms of Diabetic Ketoacidosis are:-

1. Dehydration
  2. Polyuria
  3. Vomiting
  4. Abdominal Pain
  5. If the condition worsens, these may be followed by typical deep, gasping breathing called Kussmaul breathing.
    If left unchecked or undiognesed it can progress to mental disorientaltion and eventually coma.

Clinical Examination:-

There will be clinical evidence of dehydration such as dry mouth as well as reduced skin turgor. Tachycardia (rapid heart beat) and low blood pressure may be observed. A ketotic odour (fruity smell) may also be present.

Diagnosis -
At the earliest symptoms, suitable tests should be performed. These tests include :-
1.Blood Sugar level
2.Blood and urine ketone levels
3.Blood Potassium levels

Treatment

Diabetic Ketoacidosis is distinguished from other diabetic emergencies by the presence of large amounts of ketones in urine and marked metabolic acidosis.
Management:-

1. Fluid replacement
  2. Insulin administration
  3. Potassium level monitoring and replacement

It is very important to remember the coordination between Insulin administration and potassium levels in DKA.
Insulin administration in conditions like DKA may decrease potassium level in blood (hypokalemia) by redistributing it into cells.
In addition, potassium has also been lost in urine because of diuresis.
Therefore, blood potassium levels should be measured during the treatment/insulin administration.
Hypokalemia often occurs in during the treatment of DKA leading to irregularities in heart rate/pulse. If not treated in time hypokalemia can lead to Cardiac arrest.
Continuous observation of the heart rate is recommended, as well as repeated measurement of the potassium levels and addition of potassium to the intravenous fluids once levels fall below 5.3 mmol/l. If potassium levels fall below 3.3 mmol/l, insulin administration must be stopped to allow correction of the hypokalemia.

Resolution:-

Resolution of DKA is defined as general improvement in the symptoms, such as the ability to tolerate oral nutrition and fluids, normalization of blood acidity (pH>7.3), and absence of ketones in blood (<1 mmol/l) or urine. Once this has been achieved, insulin may be switched to the usual subcutaneously administered regimen, and intravenous administration discontinued.

If Diabetic Ketoacidosis occurs in someone with Type 2 diabetes, their condition is called “ketosis prone type 2 diabetes”. The exact mechanism for this phenomenon is unclear, but there is evidence both of impaired insulin secretion and insulin action. Once the ketoacidosis has been treated, insulin production resumes and often the patient may be able to resume diet or tablet treatment as normally recommended in type 2 diabetes.

Suggestion for the Hair Transplant Centre.

1.Blood and urine testing facility including blood sugar level
2.Blood and urine Ketone levels measurement testing
3.Blood potassium level testing,
should all preferably be available in the centre.
The doctor and/or the technicians should be well trained in performing these tests. Simultaneously, the doctor and the technicians should be well trained to suspect DKA by its earliest signs and symptoms.