Hair Heroes - 5th ICHR Keynote Speakers

Good news is, the 5th International Conference of Hair Research is next week 13th-16th (as has been posted here already) touted as the largest hair gathering ever. And below are the Keynote Speakers, the title of their Keynote Presentation, a link to the researcher/speaker that provides some profile info, and their e-mail/contact info. All info was found publicly available on the internet. I was bored, thought it might be interesting to know a bit on the featured Scientists speaking at the largest hair gathering ever. Maybe send a word of thanks/encouragement, or a question on their research as it pertains to Hair. Looks like 4 of the keynote presentations directly relate to Stem Cells/Organ Development, and thus HM.

Rox Anderson - “Lasers and the Future” / “Lasers”
http://www.massgeneral.org/wellman/people/randerson.asp
Phone: (617) 726-6168
Fax: (617) 726-6121
Email: rranderson@partners.org

Greg Barsh - “Hair Pigmentation”

Email: katyshaw@cmgm.stanford.edu (Admin. Assistant.)
Phone: 650 723 5035

Hans Clevers - “Ebling Lecture: Organ Development” http://www.niob.knaw.nl/researchpages/clevers/groupleader.html
tel.: +31 302121826
fax: +31 302121801
E-mail: clevers@niob.knaw.nl

John Dick - “Hematopoietic Stem Cells”
http://www.utoronto.ca/medicalgenetics/PIs/DICK.HTM
Tel: 416-946-6549
Fax: 416-946-6589
e-mail: jdick@uhnres.utoronto.ca

Freda Miller - “Mesenchymal Stem Cells”
http://www.uoftphysiology.com/faculty/members/facultyDetails.cfm?faculty=130&from=division
Phone: (416) 813-7654
Fax: (416) 813-2212
Email: freda.miller@sickkids.ca

Emi Nishimura - “Melanocyte Stem Cells”
http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/daily/2005/01/03-gray.html
http://read.jst.go.jp/public/cs_ksh_012EventAction.do?action4=event&lang_act4=E&judge_act4=2&code_act4=5000105815
E-mail: emi_k_nishimura@yahoo.co.jp

conference:
http://www.hair2007.com

program:
http://www.hair2007.com/pdf/FinalProgram.pdf

Session 3 – Tissue Engineering
13:45 – 15:00 Co-chairs: Satoshi Itami, Valerie Randall, Michael Philpott
13:45 – 14:00 Tissue Engineering of Hair follicles Kurt Stenn
14:00 – 14:10 Regeneration of Human-Mouse Chimeric Follicles in a Hybrid Patch Assay Ying Zheng
14:10 – 14:20 Methods of Follicular Cell Implantation for Hair Multiplication Jeff Teumer
14:20 – 14:30 Expression of TGF Beta2 in Cultured Human Dermal Papilla Cells and Its Ability of Induction of Tissue Engineered Hair Follicles Keita Inoue
14:30 – 14:40 In Vitro Generation of Human Hair Follicle Bud Oriented Cellular Mass Composed of Dermal Papilla Cells and Keratinocytes Shigeyoshi Fuziwara
14:40 – 14:50 The Hair-Inducing Clonal Cell Lines From Dermal Papilla and Dermal Sheath Cells of Mouse Vibrissa Follicles Aki Osada
14:50-15:00 Large-Scale Production of Dermal Papilla Microtissues Via Facilitated Self-Assembling: Implications For Hair Follicle

can someone attend ?

» Looks like 4 of the
» keynote presentations directly relate to Stem Cells/Organ Development, and
» thus HM.
»

This is without a doubt the most intensive HM-related conference ever. I live in Seattle, but can’t attend due to numerous relatives coming to visit during that time. Otherwise, I would go and get myself involved in a conversation with Dr. Stenn. I’m hoping that someone local will go and at least take notes on the more interesting HM-related presentations. Sometimes the timing of things just really sucks.

» This is without a doubt the most intensive HM-related conference ever.

» This is without a doubt the most intensive HM-related conference ever.

It’s a promising time. Intercytex making waves with Phase II, Stem-Cell research booming across the map, and the largest Hair Conference ever…the field is widening.

But it’s 2007 and we have only Intercytex and Aderans in the picture. Why not more for HM by now? The multi-billion dollar prize has always been there. JB, I agree with you and think that some of your recent points have helped me realize the answer to my question. A hair cure is a small part of the Stem Cell picture, something much much bigger than hair, and not something to be truly achieved in a vaccum outside of the larger Stem-Cell picture. The scientists I’ve noted as inexplicably missing from the hair picture are now joining the race, as you’ve pointed out, and as evidenced by this year’s conference, because Stem-Cell research is the order of the day. I would never have known from my consumer’s viewpoint, that what would be needed is the academic catalyst of Stem-Cell innovation, where hair just happens to be a stopping point along the way. I now view HM from the bigger picture.

We have more to be talking about than just Intercytex. We sit here squawking like baby birds waiting for Intercytex to drop off some news to us, “2008”, “no '09”, “ten more years!” What a waste of time- we have no effect on their timelines or success. Pray for Intercytex, but we should be tracking these new developments, talking about the new scientists throwing their hats into the ring, and creating some momentum and public buzz about the new wave of scientists whose research influences hair, starting with the 2007 Hair Conference. JB said it and I see it happening as well…they are coming out of the woodworks in droves.

There has never been anything even remotely like this in the history of hair science. The amount of research going on out there in this field is phenomenal. And these are just the researchers who chose to come and talk about the subject.

When Dr. Gho first tried to go and talk about HM at one of these conventions, he was banned and treated like he was a whack (However, he was allowed to do a presentation at a later date, which is one of the things that first began to open up minds in the professional community and drive this research toward the mainstream). But this is exactly how science always progresses. Somebody out there has to break the ice and make the subject safe to talk about. Some years after that, the subject becomes not only safe to talk about, it becomes the most rewarding subject a researcher can discuss. I think perhaps the most flattering thing for Gho these days is that ARI amended his early patent and is trying to grab a piece of his pie. I’m quite certain it disturbs him, but OTOH, it is the highest form of flattery a research can be provided.

It is remniscent of when a 14-year-old Farnsworth invented the television, but RCA grabbed all the money for the invention. IOW, it takes more than just an inventive mind to bring these things into fruition. Business plays every bit as big a role (or perhaps bigger) than the invention itself. I predicted many years ago that a time would come when this research finally hit the mainstream, and we would see a mad scramble toward the cash cow. I think we are at the very beginning of that period right now. If HM works, it is going to blow the field of stem cell science wide open. If it turns out not to work, it will represent a minor setback for the stem cell field as a whole, but research will continue to progress despite this.

A quick study of scientific and medical progression shows what has ocurred, is occuring, and is about to occur has happened repeatedly throughout history and is representative of the cycle that inventions often progress through before they become mainstream. But make no mistake, I believe there is still a lot of work to be done before we will see this as a marketable treatment. I’m inclined to think it is a minimum of 3-years away and will take much longer than that to reach most clinics in the USA.

Session 1 – Stem Cells
08:00 – 10:00 Co-chairs: George Cotsarelis, Colin Jahoda, Takashi Matsuzaki, Kurt Stenn
08:00 – 08:50 Cancer-initiating cells: From leukemia to solid tumors John Dick
08:50 – 09:00 Questions
09:00 – 09:15 Hair Follicle Stem Cells - Epithelial George Cotsarelis
09:15 – 09:20 Questions
09:20 – 09:30 Stem Cells of Human Hair Follicles Can Differentiate Into Neurons: Region-Specific Multipotency of Human Hair Follicle Stem Cells Yasuyuki Amoh
09:30 – 09:40 Adult Stem Cell Compartment Changes in Androgenetic Alopecia Demonstrate Maintenance of Progenitor Stem Cells With Loss of Descendant CD200 High A6 Integrin High Expressing Cells Luis Garza
09:40 – 09:50 Adult Hair Follicle Dermal Papillae Induce Hair and Skin Differentiation From Adult Corneal Epithelium James Waters
09:50 – 10:00 Bone morphogenetic protein signaling is required for hair induction by dermal papilla cells Michael Rendl

Session 2 – Mesenchymal Stem Cells
Co-chairs: Andrew Messenger, Manabu Ohyama
10:30 – 10:35 Overview tbc
10:35 – 11:25 Skin-derived Precursors (SKPs) and Induction of Hair Follicle Morphogenesis Freda Miller
11:25 – 11:50 Manipulating gene expression in the dermal papilla of the mouse in vivo Bruce Morgan
11:50 - 12:15 Mesenchymal-Epithelial Interactions needed for tissue engineering of hair follicles Colin Jahoda

Session 3 – Tissue Engineering
13:45 – 15:00 Co-chairs: Satoshi Itami, Valerie Randall, Michael Philpott
13:45 – 14:00 Tissue Engineering of Hair follicles Kurt Stenn
14:00 – 14:10 Regeneration of Human-Mouse Chimeric Follicles in a Hybrid Patch Assay Ying Zheng
14:10 – 14:20 Methods of Follicular Cell Implantation for Hair Multiplication
Jeff Teumer
14:20 – 14:30 Expression of TGF Beta2 in Cultured Human Dermal Papilla Cells and Its Ability of Induction of Tissue Engineered Hair Follicles Keita Inoue
14:30 – 14:40 In Vitro Generation of Human Hair Follicle Bud Oriented Cellular Mass Composed of Dermal Papilla Cells and Keratinocytes Shigeyoshi Fuziwara
14:40 – 14:50 The Hair-Inducing Clonal Cell Lines From Dermal Papilla and Dermal Sheath Cells of Mouse Vibrissa Follicles Aki Osada
14:50-15:00 Large-Scale Production of Dermal Papilla Microtissues Via Facilitated Self-Assembling: Implications For Hair Follicle Engineering and Dermal Papilla Physiology Sung-Jan Lin

Session 5 – Morphogenesis
Follicular Cycling 08:00 – 10:30 Co-chairs: Cheng Ming Chuong, Phillip Hynd, Ralf Paus
08:00 – 08:50 Ebling Lecturer: Wnt and Notch Signaling pathways in development and cancer of the gut Hans Clevers
08:50 – 09:20 New Insights into Telogen Cheng Ming Chuong
09:20 – 09:50 Wnt Signaling in the control of hair follicle development
Sarah Millar
09:50 – 10:00 Wnt-Dependent De Novo Hair Follicle Regeneration in Adult Mouse Skin Following Wounding Mayumi Ito
10:00 – 10:10 P-Cadherin Is a p63 Target Gene With a Critical Role in the Developing Limb Bud and Hair Follicle. Angela Christiano
10:10 – 10:20 The Wnt Inhibitor, Dickkopf 4, Is Induced By Canonical Wnt Signaling During Ectodermal Appendage Morphogenesis Hisham Bazzi
10:20 – 10:30 Molecular Signature of the Follicular and Glandular Types of Epidermal Differentiation: Evidence That BMP Signaling Suppresses Trans-Differrentiation of the Foot Pad Epidermis Towards Folliculogenesis
Vladimir Botchkarev

Session 6 – Follicular Growth Controls 11:00 – 12:00 Co-chairs: Colin Jahoda, Sarah Millar, Hideoki Ogawa
11:00 – 11:30 Controlling hair follicle morphogenesis through polyubiquitination Anthony Oro
11:30 – 12:00 Hedgehog functions in the pilosebaceous unit Andrzej Dlugosz

Session 12 – Hair Treatments: What’s on the Horizon
13:30 – 15:05 Co-chairs: Shigaku Ikeda, Andrew Messenger, Jerry Shapiro
14:10 – 14:25 Nanoparticle-based Targeting of Skin Antigen-Presenting Cells via Hair Follicles Annika Vogt

» » Looks like 4 of the
» » keynote presentations directly relate to Stem Cells/Organ Development,
» and
» » thus HM.
» »
»
» This is without a doubt the most intensive HM-related conference ever. I
» live in Seattle, but can’t attend due to numerous relatives coming to
» visit during that time. Otherwise, I would go and get myself involved in a
» conversation with Dr. Stenn. I’m hoping that someone local will go and at
» least take notes on the more interesting HM-related presentations.
» Sometimes the timing of things just really sucks.

First off, thanks for the info. Ocean!

James, take the relatives with you!!! Get over there!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Like I and many other members keep saying, HM is coming!!:slight_smile:

Btw James, there’s NO DOUBT “business” plays every bit as important a part IMHO.