Gray hair and MPB

I move this thread here.they don’t want to play with me in the hair transplant room.
Please fire on,I am supremely unconcerned with what others think of me,and couldn’t care less wheather I am or not included on any guest list :slight_smile:

First forgive me if this was discussed before, but I am just putting something up here guided by my gut/intuition, not knowledge. I have little knowledge about the science behind MPB. Therefore this thread might be and probably is nonsense, however I have no reputation that I could loose, so I decided to put it up here, anyway.
I might be wrong, but I have this vague gut feeling that once a man starts to get gray hair, his MPB slows down or stops. When hairs turn gray, it is like they get thicker and don’t shed as much as the pigmented do. That was case with both my grandparents. This impression of mine might be completely false and I might be completely wrong, but I wonder, has anyone else noticed the same thing. I know that each hair follicle contains a certain number of pigment cells which continuously produce a chemical called melanin and as we get older, those pigment cells in our hair follicles gradually die and …as people continue to get older, fewer pigment cells will be around to produce melanin. Eventually, the hair will look completely gray. I know that the melanin is also genetically predetermined and someone gets the gray hair sooner and some later.And, as much as I know, not all hair follicles on our head are susceptible to DHT. And, we don’t know why is that. Is it possible that those originally susceptible to DHT, are not any longer, after they had lost the pigment cells?

Then Pats205 said “I am not sure there is a connection, but it is interesting”…

so I replied :

I don’t know,but out of curiosity I tried to find one .Again,it is probably nonsense,but I will put it here nevertheless.For laughs.

You see,the gray hair is completely white (no pigment whatsoever) so therefore wards off harmful UV rays from sunlight.Sunlight impact on our hair is on the top of our heads,on those hairs which are susceptible to DHT,as opposed the ones on the sides that are not susceptible to DHT.Maybe they are susceptible to DHT because of the impact of harmful UV rays?And the gray and pigmented hairs,on parts other than top of head, are imune from DHT because there is no impact (or less impact) of harmful UV rays ?

Another thing,gray hair,if you noticed,has different texture than pigmented,which is the result of reduced moisture that accompanies reduced pigment.
MPB is a gift from our ancestors,for sure.It is in the genes of good percentage of males.But,not all males.Some males.Therefore, a mutation ,an alteration of a certain gene’s DNA sequence started occurring at some point in our evolution from hairy apes to modern humans.

Now…

The DNA in any cell can be altered through environmental exposure to ultraviolet radiation, …That is a fact.Go check your selves.

Now…

when DHT attach itself to the hair follicle it causes it to shrink … eventually keeping it from producing more hair.
The follicles susceptible to DHT (and therefore MPB)on top of our heads must(?) have greater number of androgen receptors for the DHT to attach to.Maybe because for thousands of years during evolution UV rays raided those little soldiers ,until that UV exposure finally induced mutation, in the DNA of the cells,developing characteristic different than their buddies on the sides of our head?

Now…

What if,gray hair doesn’t have androgen receptors any longer,(or has much less)after it turned gray?Because it lost the pigmented cells.

The question is does Melanin Pigmentation in human Skin (and hair) has anything to do with Hormonal Regulation?

If it does,did little Johny find your Holy grail?

» If it does,did little Johny find your Holy grail?

I don`t think it is the holy grail, but i confirm your observation when hair turns grey. I know a lot of people with grey/white hair and i recognized, that they dont lose one of their colorless hair.
sure, in most cases people get bald before getting completely grey but the colorless hairs are more resistant.

Doyou believe so, Does Albino people never gets bald? Or they are more resistant?,
Then people with more melanin would be more prone to get bald, isn´t it? But from Melanotan.org forums no one has reported hairloos as a side, just the oppsite there is multiple post wich talks about a reverse in their grey hairs becouse of the use of alpha-MSH peptides, ( Melanocyte Stimulant homona ). In fact also melanini is linked with the thick of the hair

But i always thought the same.

I noticed that as well.

not rly sure if its just my imagination though.

» » If it does,did little Johny find your Holy grail?
»
»
» I don`t think it is the holy grail, but i confirm your observation when
» hair turns grey. I know a lot of people with grey/white hair and i
» recognized, that they don’t lose one of their colorless hair.
» sure, in most cases people get bald before getting completely grey but the
» colorless hairs are more resistant.

It seems plain to me that the essential question is where are the androgen receptors in the follicle for the DHT to attach to.If You found them,shut them down,you don’t need to block the DHT any longer.And if pigment cells have anything to do with the androgen receptors in the follicle,well …

Interesting that you are making this observation about grey hair. I have long thought that men whose hair goes steely grey are much less likely to lose it than men whose hair generally retains its colour.

This seems to be the case regardless of what your hair colour was originally.

However, men whose hair goes white seem to be just as likely to lose their hair as someone who retains their hair colour, which is rather strange logic.

It would be an interesting poll to see how many people on this forum, who are 40 and above, still have quite a lot of non-grey hair, and if there are any contributors who are bald, whose remaining hair is steely grey.

I’ll start. I’m over 40 and my hair colour is predominantly still dark brown. My father had a similar hair loss pattern, although more aggressive but kept his original hair colour until he was nearly 70.

»
» However, men whose hair goes white seem to be just as likely to lose their
» hair as someone who retains their hair colour, which is rather strange
» logic.
»
It’s not if you consider “when” did they loose their hair.Did it occur before the hairs turned gray?Or after the hairs turned gray?If it is before,it doesn’t contradict the theory.

» Do you believe so, Does Albino people never gets bald? Or they are more
» resistant?,
» Then people with more melanin would be more prone to get bald, isn’t it?

Maybe, but people with low melanin are also prone skin cancer. Better be bald than that. but if that is not the case and there is no danger or risks, I will look for that procedure which can avoid baldness.

» » Do you believe so, Does Albino people never gets bald? Or they are more
» » resistant?,
» » Then people with more melanin would be more prone to get bald, isn’t it?
»
»
» Maybe, but people with low melanin are also prone skin cancer. Better be
» bald than that. but if that is not the case and there is no danger or
» risks, I will look for that procedure which can avoid baldness.

Don’t take this thread seriously my friend .I was bored and affecting to be witty, started this thread in between pickings of my nose and holding my… sitting on the comp.I have no scientific background.I couldn’t care less if we find cure for baldness or not.I shave bald with razor every morning and I like it.But,if I got it right by some chance,and inspired some researcher into right direction,let it be known how I found this cure he he he he :smiley:

I think you’re onto something john35. I too, have noticed that my grey hair never sheds and have always wondered the same theory as you described. One thing though, i work in doors all day and hardly get any exposure to sunlight, yet i’m still thinning. Therefore in my case, i do not think UV exposure plays a big part in your “holy grail” theory. :slight_smile: Now, if there’s a way to force all existing hair to turn grey, i would opt to do that.

lol this is full of balds :smiley: