Grafts Required to Cover Zones 3&4 Completely - Input Needed

I was hoping someone would be able to provide not only factual information but photos as well.

Majority of the results we see here are in the hairline and front of the head areas. But how many grafts would be needed to completely cover zones 3 & 4? If someone for example used up majority of their grafts in the front areas, will 4,000-5,000 grafts provide adequate coverage for the vertex and crown areas? So much where the scalp will not be seen.

Hairsite, surgeons, clinic reps, and respected members are all welcome to provide some input here.

Thanks.

» I was hoping someone would be able to provide not only factual information
» but photos as well.
»
» Majority of the results we see here are in the hairline and front of the
» head areas. But how many grafts would be needed to completely cover zones
» 3 & 4? If someone for example used up majority of their grafts in the front
» areas, will 4,000-5,000 grafts provide adequate coverage for the vertex and
» crown areas? So much where the scalp will not be seen.
»
» Hairsite, surgeons, clinic reps, and respected members are all welcome to
» provide some input here.
»
» Thanks.

Hasson and Wong could give near full coverage for a NW5 with 8000 grafts, I doubt you will need 4-5000 grafts for just the vertex and crown unless you go to an incompetent doctor.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the average person have approx. 10,000 donor grafts available? If that’s the case, then getting 5,000 grafts in zones 1 and 2 should be no problem.

» » I was hoping someone would be able to provide not only factual
» information
» » but photos as well.
» »
» » Majority of the results we see here are in the hairline and front of
» the
» » head areas. But how many grafts would be needed to completely cover
» zones
» » 3 & 4? If someone for example used up majority of their grafts in the
» front
» » areas, will 4,000-5,000 grafts provide adequate coverage for the vertex
» and
» » crown areas? So much where the scalp will not be seen.
» »
» » Hairsite, surgeons, clinic reps, and respected members are all welcome
» to
» » provide some input here.
» »
» » Thanks.
»
» Hasson and Wong could give near full coverage for a NW5 with 8000 grafts,
» I doubt you will need 4-5000 grafts for just the vertex and crown unless
» you go to an incompetent doctor.

The average patient, with strip, does NOT have 10K grafts at their disposal and neither do FUE patients. Just because some may have had this number (Nicnitro, Me, Londonlad) does not mean the average patient can. End of story.

» The average patient, with strip, does NOT have 10K grafts at their disposal
» and neither do FUE patients. Just because some may have had this number
» (Nicnitro, Me, Londonlad) does not mean the average patient can. End of
» story.

If you are going for pure FUE you will be lucky to have 5K grafts at your disposal without destroying the donor.

If that’s not the average, then what is? By the way can way keep it on the eye and see if I can get my initial concern approached and answered fellas? Thanks

» I was hoping someone would be able to provide not only factual information
» but photos as well.
»
» Majority of the results we see here are in the hairline and front of the
» head areas. But how many grafts would be needed to completely cover zones
» 3 & 4? If someone for example used up majority of their grafts in the front
» areas, will 4,000-5,000 grafts provide adequate coverage for the vertex and
» crown areas? So much where the scalp will not be seen.
»
» Hairsite, surgeons, clinic reps, and respected members are all welcome to
» provide some input here.
»
» Thanks.

my experience i think anyone could sqeeze more than 5k.
already used 4k and still can squeeze between 2-3 k

as for the coverage , its crap . lets put it this way , from what i 've seen , to cover the crown and vertex 7k won’t even be enough

you’re looking really good for 10 days…it’s healing really well.

yes, i think the average person can easily use way more than 5k grafts. i actually think an average joe can has available to use 8-10k grafts. as far as whether it be FUE or Strip, that i cannot comment on as i was always under the assumption that both procedures can extract the same number of available donor grafts. expertise input is welcome here.

» my experience i think anyone could sqeeze more than 5k.
» already used 4k and still can squeeze between 2-3 k
»
» as for the coverage , its crap . lets put it this way , from what i 've
» seen , to cover the crown and vertex 7k won’t even be enough

» you’re looking really good for 10 days…it’s healing really well.
»
» yes, i think the average person can easily use way more than 5k grafts. i
» actually think an average joe can has available to use 8-10k grafts. as far
» as whether it be FUE or Strip, that i cannot comment on as i was always
» under the assumption that both procedures can extract the same number of
» available donor grafts. expertise input is welcome here.
»

Let me put it this way :
You think that the average joe has 80-10k grafts and that is fine, everyone is entitled to have an opinion. However those who work in this field day in and day out are having a different opinion.
It is up to the reader to decide who might have the best information, the forum participant or the reps of respected clinics.

Bart

From what I remember that Dr Armani told me during my surgery - the crown area takes less grafts because of the way the grafts are implanted - I think he said they are implanted in a swirling pattern as opposed to upright in the frontal areas & therefore less are required.

I do not know exact figures tho - I guess it would depend on the extent of the hairloss.

Dan

thanks bverotti but i think u overlooked the point instead u held onto an opinion of mine of which i was open for correction; hence the part “expertise input is welcome”.

i’d appreciate it if i had my initial concern answered rather than veering off topic. thanks

» » you’re looking really good for 10 days…it’s healing really well.
» »
» » yes, i think the average person can easily use way more than 5k grafts.
» i
» » actually think an average joe can has available to use 8-10k grafts. as
» far
» » as whether it be FUE or Strip, that i cannot comment on as i was always
» » under the assumption that both procedures can extract the same number
» of
» » available donor grafts. expertise input is welcome here.
» »
»
» Let me put it this way :
» You think that the average joe has 80-10k grafts and that is fine,
» everyone is entitled to have an opinion. However those who work in this
» field day in and day out are having a different opinion.
» It is up to the reader to decide who might have the best information, the
» forum participant or the reps of respected clinics.
»
» Bart

mj2003,

Before you start talking about “zones,” etc., you need to consider a few things. First: how old are you? Second: what is your NW level and family history of hairloss? Third: has your loss been stable on medication for at least a few years?

Then the most important question: what kind of hair-characteristics do you have?

People can chatter all day about technical questions related to HT, but if you don’t have good/great hair-characteristics, all the talk in the world won’t save you from that most wretched of fates: a shi tty HT.

So consult with some docs known for their probity and relative lack of greed. Get the answer to the question that matters: do I have good/great hair-characteristics for HT?

TheFittest

A few exceptional patients have proven to have 8-10K grafts on their heads.

A few dishonest HT docs have used this fact to pitch these numbers as “average” to almost every patient they get.

The important thing to realize is this:
It’s easy to poke 10,000 holes in a patient’s head. The difficulty is getting 10,000 grafts to actually grow out of the top later, and in doing this w/o ending up with a totally moth-eaten donor zone that looks terrible.

With the advent of FUE work, the ultimate limit of the patient’s donor supply has become ENTIRELY A MATTER OF ARTISTIC OPINION now. There is no longer any firm agreed-on point when the work must stop (like there is with strip grafting when the scalp laxity becomes insufficient for further HTs). With FUE work, the HT doctor can just claim that he & the patient have different opinions about what is “cosmetically unacceptable” in terms of thinning out the appearance of the patient’s donor area.

There is no shortage of rich men on earth. Nor is there any shortage of rich men who are bald. Nor any shortage of rich bald men who’d pay BIG money to get more than 5-8K grafts if it was possible for them.

So where are the examples of these patients with 10,000+ donor zones?

And if these kinds of numbers are only “average,” then surely there must be at least a few patients with much higher numbers than this, right? So where are these truly exceptional cases? Can we see ONE of them?

BTW: If you think my above post is aimed at ripping a specific doctor a new assh*le, well, you’re right.

But all my criticisms in that post are exactly right too. That’s the problem.

Appreciate everyone\s input here. What I’ve done is taken a closer look at online before and after photos of nearly completely bald areas of the scalp in separate cases (zones), looked at the number of grafts used, and put an estimate as to the amount of grafts required on average to cover the zone(s). I think approximately 4,000 grafts will provide excellent coverageto the crown and vertex (zones 3&4) with virtually strands of hair left on in the crown. I also realise crown graft placement success is influenced majorly on the surgeon’s skills.

» Appreciate everyone\s input here. What I’ve done is taken a closer look at
» online before and after photos of nearly completely bald areas of the scalp
» in separate cases (zones), looked at the number of grafts used, and put an
» estimate as to the amount of grafts required on average to cover the
» zone(s). I think approximately 4,000 grafts will provide excellent
» coverageto the crown and vertex (zones 3&4) with virtually strands of hair
» left on in the crown. I also realise crown graft placement success is
» influenced majorly on the surgeon’s skills.

Do you have a couple of the links to photos? Wouldn’t mind seeing some crown coverage shots related to number of graphs.