Gefinitib + Sunburn

I’ve recently posted here a case study that showed that some nasty anti inflamation drug was growing hair on areas exposed to the sun.

What now seems to me plausible is that that gefinitib guy may have had sunburn as well. It would explain a lot, including why the new hair grew only on the areas that were hair free.

Just an idea worth noting.

Heres that sun + anti inflamatory drug thread

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-32535-page-0-category-1-order-last_answer.html

EDIT: looking on the photograph though I must admit that I cant explain why it would be only in the middle and not in the temples as well.

How do we know it’s not just a (bad) hair transplant?

» How do we know it’s not just a (bad) hair transplant?

I doubt a dying cancer patient (dead now) would waste money on a hair transplant!

from my personal experience : My hair gets in a better shape after a significant exposure to the sun.

» from my personal experience : My hair gets in a better shape after a
» significant exposure to the sun.

??? huh?

He probably didn’t get the temples back because they’re more DHT resistant and earlier/worse to bald.

Maybe whatever passed for an injury in this guy’s case (sunburn, whatever) wasn’t deep/extensive enough of an injury to get hair regrowing in the more heavily balded areas like the temples.

» I’ve recently posted here a case study that showed that some nasty anti
» inflamation drug was growing hair on areas exposed to the sun.

This is what I noticed as well. The sun exposure must induce some damage or invoke some cellular pathway, that, together with the drug, was able to grow some hair.

Well, chemical peels have often been compared to a bad sunburn. Maybe this guy just got enough sun on the top of his head one day for it to qualify as the “wounding” part of the procedure.

Man, if he can grow that much, probably without a deep enough wound at all, and definitely without the re-epithelization period being drug free & without stopping the EGF-R inhibitor after the 10-14 days either . . . Man, oh man. It’s really hard not to get the hopes up.

» Well, chemical peels have often been compared to a bad sunburn.

Last weekend I did a practice TCA peel on a small spot under my jawline. And it turned out to be just like a severe sunburn – it turned very red (actually red/brown), and then started peeling Wednesday. It’s still peeling today. I didn’t get a scab like I thought I would…just deep red, followed by peeling.

My plan is to do a TCA peel on the inner thirds of my eyebrows, and along my teenage hairline (these are the only areas where I have hair loss). I’ll then take gefitinib when the peeling has subsided (I’ll probably take it for 10 days). I plan to do my experiment in about 2 weeks.

My plan is to do a TCA peel on the inner thirds of my eyebrows, and along my teenage hairline (these are the only areas where I have hair loss)

That’s all the hair loss you’ve got, and you’re someone who is THIS INTO the hair multiplication effort?

What, are you in a family full of NW#7s or something?

» That’s all the hair loss you’ve got, and you’re someone who is THIS INTO
» the hair multiplication effort?

Yep. I’m actually a Norwood 1 right now, if you were to rate me. But I’ve lost a little off my teenage hairline…my hairline was low to begin with. I started meds about 11 years ago, and I am fairly certain I’d be about a Norwood 2 or a 3 without the meds (I base this on my older brothers…we all have the same hair, and all look very similar…only I take meds, though).

Yes, I am obessive/compulsive. But I like my hair, and I want my original hair line back. You will laugh your ass off (or feel sorry for me) when you see my pictures. I might be the only guy Dr. Armani has turned down for a hair transplant…he said he wouldn’t do it, that I didn’t need it.

ARMANI turned you down for low hairline work, and the rest of your head didn’t have loss?!?

That’s impressive.

I’m not gonna hate on you though. Once you see any hair going, you want the process stopped like hell whether it’s all gone or barely any. If I was in your position and I knew the probable loss would be there w/o meds, then I’d be on meds too.

But I will say that I would probably not be on here at the HM research area so much. I’d have said “f*ck it” and stopped thinking about it if I knew I was always gonna be so well within NW#1-transplantable range.

» ARMANI turned you down for low hairline work, and the rest of your head
» didn’t have loss?!?
»
» That’s impressive.
»
»
»
» I’m not gonna hate on you though. Once you see any hair going, you want
» the process stopped like hell whether it’s all gone or barely any. If I
» was in your position and I knew the probable loss would be there w/o meds,
» then I’d be on meds too.
»
» But I will say that I would probably not be on here at the HM research
» area so much. I’d have said “f*ck it” and stopped thinking about it if I
» knew I was always gonna be so well within NW#1-transplantable range.

Well. I certainly wish I started my regime sooner; I’m confident I would have a different hairline today. Having said that, you know you’re obsessed with your hairline when Armani turns you down; I didn’t think it was possible. He strikes me like the kind of doctor that would convince a baboon to get an aggressive transplant.

» » That’s all the hair loss you’ve got, and you’re someone who is THIS INTO
» » the hair multiplication effort?
»
» Yep. I’m actually a Norwood 1 right now, if you were to rate me. But I’ve
» lost a little off my teenage hairline…my hairline was low to begin with.
» I started meds about 11 years ago, and I am fairly certain I’d be about a
» Norwood 2 or a 3 without the meds (I base this on my older brothers…we
» all have the same hair, and all look very similar…only I take meds,
» though).
»
» Yes, I am obessive/compulsive. But I like my hair, and I want my original
» hair line back. You will laugh your ass off (or feel sorry for me) when you
» see my pictures. I might be the only guy Dr. Armani has turned down for a
» hair transplant…he said he wouldn’t do it, that I didn’t need it.

I’m envious :slight_smile:

» ARMANI turned you down for low hairline work, and the rest of your head
» didn’t have loss?!?
»
» That’s impressive.

When I went to Toronto for the transplant, on the day of my procedure, I filled out the forms, they took my payment, prepped me, took pictures, put me in a gown, etc. Then they brought me in to meet Dr. Armani. He said he didn’t want to do the procedure, that I didn’t need it. I tried to convince him otherwise. We went back and forth, and after about 15 minutes I realized that I wasn’t going to change his mind, so I gave up. I was fully aware of his aggressive reputation (which is a big reason why I chose him in the first place), so I sat there during the conversation almost laughing to myself about the irony – here was Armani telling someone not to be so aggressive, warning about future loss, etc.

BTW, Dr. Armani is fully aware of how controversial he is. We talked about all the flack he gets, and he became very animated. I think he truly believes in his strategy of aggressively treating patients via hair transplants.

» I’m not gonna hate on you though. Once you see any hair going, you want
» the process stopped like hell whether it’s all gone or barely any. If I
» was in your position and I knew the probable loss would be there w/o meds,
» then I’d be on meds too.

That was the smartest thing I’ve done. I started noticing lots of hair coming out in the shower, on my pillow, etc., and then saw my hairline creep back ever so slightly, and I got on the meds immediately. I was diagnosed by a dermatologist with AGA (so I know I really have it…I already knew from my brothers that my family has the genes for it.), but he wanted me to use minoxidil to maintain my hair. Shortly thereafter, I started using finasteride off-label. I’ve virtually maintained all my hair since.

» But I will say that I would probably not be on here at the HM research
» area so much. I’d have said “f*ck it” and stopped thinking about it if I
» knew I was always gonna be so well within NW#1-transplantable range.

I think most people would agree with you. Like I said, though, I like my hair, and I have obsessive/complusive disorder to some degree. The reason I am so hot for Follica’s procedure is that it’s the one thing I can do to potentially get what I want – hair transplants are not an option for me right now, and the existing meds on the market arn’t that good at growing hair at the hairline. So I am stuck. But Follica’s procedure is something I can try at home, and I don’t have to worry about a doctor rejecting me.

» Well. I certainly wish I started my regime sooner; I’m confident I would
» have a different hairline today. Having said that, you know you’re obsessed
» with your hairline when Armani turns you down; I didn’t think it was
» possible. He strikes me like the kind of doctor that would convince a
» baboon to get an aggressive transplant.

Ya, being rejected by Armani is like seeing Big Foot or something - not many people can say they’ve experienced it!

In all seriousness, though, hair is like money. You can never have enough. If you were close to having your dream hairline, you’d want it, regardless of how little loss you might have. You get greedy, especially knowing how close you are to getting what you want. At least I am greedy, anyway.

Put it this way, if I can grow hair at my teenage hairline using abrasion + EGF inhibitors, that’ll be huge. In some ways, my situation is the ultimate test. If you can grow hair back in the original hairline area, there will be little doubt that this procedure will be robust.

» » Well, chemical peels have often been compared to a bad sunburn.
»
» Last weekend I did a practice TCA peel on a small spot under my jawline.
» And it turned out to be just like a severe sunburn – it turned very red
» (actually red/brown), and then started peeling Wednesday. It’s still
» peeling today. I didn’t get a scab like I thought I would…just deep red,
» followed by peeling.
»
» My plan is to do a TCA peel on the inner thirds of my eyebrows, and along
» my teenage hairline (these are the only areas where I have hair loss). I’ll
» then take gefitinib when the peeling has subsided (I’ll probably take it
» for 10 days). I plan to do my experiment in about 2 weeks.

Good luck TAGHOL, Please tell us if you’ve had success…Im REALLY hoping one of us guys gets some growth, and then the mystery will be solved for all of us.

Thanks, and good luck on your own experiment. I hope it goes well. We’ll compare results.

» Thanks, and good luck on your own experiment. I hope it goes well. We’ll
» compare results.

Wooow ! kind of squad members talking before the assault