Home | News | Find a Doctor | Ask a Question | Free

FUE vs. H&W for curly hair?

Hey all,

First, some information: I am 26, and finishing grad school, but will be 27 before I get the transplant. I will have 3 months off between graduation and starting my job, and I think it is a good time to have a transplant. I am thinning somewhere along the 5a pattern. I have medium curly dark brown hair.

I am having trouble choosing between H & W and somebody else for FUE. I have lurked for years, and love the consistency with H & W. However, I would love not to have the scar.

I have heard that curly hair does not work well for FUE. Does anybody know if this is true? Has anybody seen a great result with curly hair?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

»
» Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest setting up some in person consultations with some of the top FUE doctors to have your case personally evaluated.

Thanks Pats. Good advice.

» I have heard that curly hair does not work well for FUE. Does anybody
» know if this is true? Has anybody seen a great result with curly hair?
»
» Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

interesting, i’ve always heard the complete opposite. there are a few cases of people with curly hair in the HT section and they all seem to have more coverage for less grafts, but everybody is different.

The issue isn’t with the coverage. Curly hair generally provides more coverage regardless of extraction method. I believe I have read that the follicle is difficult to extract(FUE) because it is curved below the surface, causing higher than normal transection rates. Sorry I don,t have a Dr’s quote on that one.

The thing to remember is every case is different, so there is no 100% across the board answer. Curly hair does tend to be more difficult. The procedure may take a bit longer during the day as the extraction process is slower. But the end result is still very nice.

Curly hair does tend to give great coverage.

» The issue isn’t with the coverage. Curly hair generally provides more
» coverage regardless of extraction method. I believe I have read that the
» follicle is difficult to extract(FUE) because it is curved below the
» surface, causing higher than normal transection rates. Sorry I don,t have a
» Dr’s quote on that one.

what is transection rate? the amount of wasted grafts during the process where the doc extracts the follicle initially?