FUE IS THE WAY TO GO (esp. with doctors like Armani)

Guys, I do not have any regrets that I had strip surgery with Dr. Armani last year. After all, for the first pass, my result was great and the procedure was cheap. But now that Dr. Armani offers FUE, I don’t think I’d ever have strip surgery again. Dr. Armani was always my number one choice of doctors, and it’s great that he now does FUE (and may get rid of strip completely). The recovery is so much smoother and there is less pain and trauma during surgery itself. If you feel anxious, ask them to give you Valium or a sedative. When you’re lightly sedated, you feel like you’re sleeping at home while having FUE surgery. I can’t say the same about strip surgery–in which your head feels like a balloon throughout the procedure due to the constant freezing.

Also a word of advice for the young (and this is my personal opinion), I feel that you’re never too young to get a transplant (esp. in your early to mid 20s). Just make sure you have your hairloss under control and are taking Propecia or Proscar. I made a mistake when I first started balding at age 18 and believed in all the advertisements on TV for things like Avacor. When Avacor didn’t work, I didn’t think anything would. Hence, I went and got a hair system and glued that thing on my head for around 3 years (until I got on Propecia and then went to Armani a year or so later). Make sure you immmediately get on a drug like Propecia or Proscar and then evaluate your situation a year later. If your hairloss has stabilized, then you can proceed with a HT. You will likely need to play catch up, but that’s the other beauty about FUE. Playing catch up isn’t as nerve wrecking as it would have been had strip been the only hair transplant option. Also, always pick a doctor that suits your needs the best.

You should send Dr Woods an email thanking him for taking the time to create a technique that Armani could copy & give you a new lease of life.

» You should send Dr Woods an email thanking him for taking the time to
» create a technique that Armani could copy & give you a new lease of life.

Well Dr. Woods is definitely a great doctor for inventing the technique. He is highly respected in my books. I’ve been on these bords for a long time, and I’m real happy that more doctors are taking the time to perform FUE. Hopefully strip will be dropped altogether one day. If the big named doctors drop strip in favor of FUE, it may lead to others doing the same.

Back when I had my 100 transplants (but probably about 90) in 96 at the awful place I went (no net back then for me), it hurt like all get out. They cut out the donor with a laser, and it was very painful. The recipient site creation was very painful, and Im not shrinking violet by a long shot.

Techniques and instruments are miles and miles better now of course. Ive read guys saying they took a couple of asprin before FUE sessions and it didn’t hurt much, which is terrific.

It felt like someone was welding on the back of my noggin’ back in the day. I dont think the doc (travelling) or the techs (worked for the clinic—which has been out of business since around 2000 for screwing up so much) back then really knew what they were doing. We really have come a long way in surgery, and that is good.

» Back when I had my 100 transplants (but probably about 90) in 96 at the
» awful place I went (no net back then for me), it hurt like all get out.
» They cut out the donor with a laser, and it was very painful. The
» recipient site creation was very painful, and Im not shrinking violet by a
» long shot.
»
» Techniques and instruments are miles and miles better now of course. Ive
» read guys saying they took a couple of asprin before FUE sessions and it
» didn’t hurt much, which is terrific.
»
» It felt like someone was welding on the back of my noggin’ back in the
» day. I dont think the doc (travelling) or the techs (worked for the
» clinic—which has been out of business since around 2000 for screwing up
» so much) back then really knew what they were doing. We really have come a
» long way in surgery, and that is good.

Are you freakon serious? Laser strip excision? Aspirin only for pain? What the hell?:frowning:

They gave me anasthesia. I recieved Head Shots in the donor area, but dont remember about the recip area. I think I was shot up in the arm also, but cant remember. I was pretty drugged up, and maybe they just gave me some pills or shots (or both) along with the head shots. This is a decade ago.

The laser excision was touted as “state of the art” back then. I could really feel the cutting though, and had an image in my mind of a big sawbladed pizza cutter going over the right back side of my scalp. It hurt.

The guys who have claimed to just recieved a pill or two are recent surgeries Ive read about online, all FUE-style of course.

Im pretty sure almost every practice is using blades for strip excisions these days, as lasers seem to generate worse scars and can, of course, burn.

When I have run into guys who had work done in the eighties, Ive talked to some who have had the big plugs done Orentriech style. Now those were rough trade, and look it.

Surgery has come a long way.

» long shot.
»
»

Why would you take aspirin, it makes you bleed more! what ‘doctor’ did you go to? im guessing it wasnt in the UK or US ?

» I feel that you’re never too young to get a transplant

You are joking?

» long shot.
»
»

FUE is a HUGE leap forward,there is no doubt that it is a less invasive procedure & will save countless numbers of people from disfigurement. However,I wouldn’t go as far as to say that surgery has come a long way because the final results haven’t changed.
Fue is just like strip because it cannot guarantee consistent results or dense hair growth.
People still have that “see through” look.Removing the donor hair is only part of the process,there is yet allot of work to be done in the area of graft growth & density.
Surgery will never get to the stage where ALL patients will be guaranteed a dense natural looking cover of hair.Surgery will forever be a hit & miss option.
HM will be the only TRUE restoration procedure.
Surgery as a form of hair restoration (albeit a heavily flawed form) is on its last legs.

» » I feel that you’re never too young to get a transplant
»
» You are joking?

strip definitely can be a brutal surgery if not performed properly, im sure one day FUE will replace strip alltogether.

» Also a word of advice for the young (and this is my personal opinion), I
» feel that you’re never too young to get a transplant (esp. in your early
» to mid 20s). Just make sure you have your hairloss under control and are
» taking Propecia or Proscar.

I am not sure if I agree to that, I am thankful I had nothing done when I was in my early or mid 20s. I am a nw5 in my mid 40s now, imagine a thick hairline with no hair behind that, taht would not look pretty at all for a middle aged, slightly overweight man.

» » Also a word of advice for the young (and this is my personal opinion), I
» » feel that you’re never too young to get a transplant (esp. in your
» early
» » to mid 20s). Just make sure you have your hairloss under control and
» are
» » taking Propecia or Proscar.
»
» I am not sure if I agree to that, I am thankful I had nothing done when I
» was in my early or mid 20s. I am a nw5 in my mid 40s now, imagine a thick
» hairline with no hair behind that, taht would not look pretty at all for a
» middle aged, slightly overweight man.

the scenario you describe, young guy early NW level, getting a thick transplant in the front top. is describing half the members on this board, by the way and using up most of their donor in the process

I often comment on the insanity of this, for example, guys like muscleboy, looks great, young guy, uses up most of his donor at a young age on the top front of his hair, to me thats insane

but then again who am I? to judge

I agree 100% with what you say Hairtech. Most of the guys here are not even close to balding… It’s their choice of course, but I find that many people in this forum have been over reacting to mild recessions.

Said that, I’ll have to admit that people like muscle boy look great with their new hairline. Such a shame that the donor area is so limited. I always thought that transplants were absolute crap. However the easthetic result of many fue procedures posted in this forum are close to flawless. I would never be alble to say that muscleboy or sr uk had a transplant.

I guess the only downsides now are cost, relatively limited coverage and the need for repeated procedures.

I sincerely hope that everybody who’s had a transplant will benefit from HM so that further hair loss won’t be a problem.

regards

» I agree 100% with what you say Hairtech. Most of the guys here are not even
» close to balding… It’s their choice of course, but I find that many
» people in this forum have been over reacting to mild recessions.
»
» Said that, I’ll have to admit that people like muscle boy look great with
» their new hairline. Such a shame that the donor area is so limited. I
» always thought that transplants were absolute crap. However the easthetic
» result of many fue procedures posted in this forum are close to flawless.
» I would never be alble to say that muscleboy or sr uk had a transplant.
»
» I guess the only downsides now are cost, relatively limited coverage and
» the need for repeated procedures.
»
»
» I sincerely hope that everybody who’s had a transplant will benefit from
» HM so that further hair loss won’t be a problem.
»
» regards

I think with a combination of strip and FUE plus some body hair i think its possible to creat the illusion of a full head of hair.

You got to be kidding, you are clueless if you think aspririn is all you need plus asprins make you bleed more. I had two Suborbital nerve blocks injected into my forehead just above my eyebrows which hurt like hell. I was burning thru the anesthesia in my recipient areas so Dr Cole offered the block because I was in a lot of pain. There was however no pain in my donor and no pain after the procedure was all done. Anyway I’m 7.5 months out and I love Cole’s hairline and the density he had added with the second procedure.
Cole is simply the best.