FUE is here to stay

Anyway why all this strip VS FUE BS allover again between consultants…For me its funny to see the salesforce fighting for the marketshare lol…but Joe unfortunately things are simple… FUE is a much easier procedure for the patient regarding healing and pain and scarring so why try to appear it different?

The Greek,

I’m not saying if FUE is worse or better than strip for healing. The majority concensus is that FUE is easier in the donor area for healing. Judging by the strip work I see from some clinics, I have no problem thinking that this is the case. I can honestly tell you that we have had some patients that have said their FUE hurt like hell compared to our strip but that is neither here nor there. Healing is healing no matter what you do and I see no reason to bicker over the differences when in my opinion they are temporary for each anyway.

What I am doing is calling out Bart for his misrepresentations, again, of how superior FUE is in any and every way. Growth is faster, no swelling, after surgery your gas smells like rose petals. That kind of thing. And as for the photos I posted, well, that is to show that “FUE” and “short as you want haircuts” are not necessarily synonymous.

My experiences are that you do have facial swelling from FUE when work is performed in the front of your scalp. When I only had work done in the back I did not have any swelling of the face

In addition to the swelling of the facial, and in my case eyes in particular, it also came with black/red underneath like I had been punched in both eyes.

The swelling began 1-2 days after the procedures (2 day procedure) and started to subside and was completely subsided within 7 days after the procedure.

I wore sunglasses when I went out until the swelling and color subsided.

It’s just part of it that you have to accept.

If someone makes a comment to me about it I just tell them, “Well I look bad, but the other guy is dead.”

:smiley:

»
» What I am doing is calling out Bart for his misrepresentations, again, of
» how superior FUE is in any and every way. Growth is faster, no swelling,
» after surgery your gas smells like rose petals. That kind of thing. And as
» for the photos I posted, well, that is to show that “FUE” and “short as you
» want haircuts” are not necessarily synonymous.

Before calling me out Jo, why dont you reread what I have posted in this thread.
Please dont twist my words, you are better than that.
:slight_smile:

I’d love to know it if thats true…I had a great Fuss done and I’m thinking about having a small Fue done. Did you have a procedure done?

» Faster healing time, less invasive, FUE mega sessions, no scaring, costs
» coming down, proven results.
»
» Is there any reason to now go with strip?

I have to say the FUE is definitely preferable over FUSS. I never had a strip procedure but it seems much more invasive and painful. Even if FUE leave a little scarring, I think it would be less noticeable than the scar left from a strip procedure, IMO.

Gabriel

Strip and fue both have their place. I think the person that started this thread just meant to emphasise that fue is here to stay.
The sooner strip only clinics reconcile to this fact, the better it will be for all.
Unfortunately, I think that will not be the case. This thread exemplifies it.

Its the repitition of history.
In 1980’s, a Brazilian doctor first came up with the concept of micrografting v/s plug grafts.

He used to offer 1000 micrograft session in contrast to the 50 - 100 4mm plug graft sessions that were the rage in US at the time.
His patients were happy with the naturalness of the results. However, for a decade, doctors of various countries, US included, were against this approach of micrografts.

The reasons they gave were -

1. It will be too expensive for the patients (they used to charge USD 20/- per plug graft).
  2. A row of plug grafts will give a “wall of hair” effect that will look better then the 1000 micrografts.

The real reason was -
They would have to retrain their staff, charge less per graft and work more overall to earn the same fee.

Those that know the history of hair transplant will recognise what I am saying.

Many strip only doctors and clinics will do anything to discredit fue because its recognition will mean a major discomfort to them.

We do strip as well as fue. Everyday. I base my above statement on that basic fact.

Regards and a happy 2009,
Dr. A

Dr. Arvind what percentage of your patients do fue? I am curious if the majority prefers one over the other. Thank you.

You hit the nail on the head Dr Arvind.

The reason that a majority of strip clinics are not doing FUE is because they would need to not only retrain their staff but more importantly the doctors would need to be retrained. Still the biggest factor is that for a strip doctor, its a breeze in slicing out that donor strip. Switching to FUE is a lot more work, more time and more tedious.

I can see this strip to FUE switch happen with the younger, less established HT doctors. So it might be a matter of time.

As for FUE scarring and its low donor extraction percentages (before thinning), maybe FUE doctors need to step it up a notch and make “donor farming” a staple of their FUE procedure. Donor farming would eliminate visible scarring and give the patient a theoretical possibility to transplant 100% of their donor hair. How successful donor farming is is for the FUE doctors to find out and tell us!

Another major issue is FUE price. Do you know how many went the way of strip because of money? If FUE doctors find a way to match or better strip prices then strip would become extinct. PERIOD!

» Faster healing time, less invasive, FUE mega sessions, no scaring, costs
» coming down, proven results.
»
» Is there any reason to now go with strip?
Ummmm, dont you know…Girls like a guy with scars.:smiley:

»
» This is what I think we can all agree is a “very good” strip scar.
» I wonder how old this scar is?
»
»
»
» This is the “best” case scenario (scarwise) for a large strip procedure,
» IMO.
»
» I’m sure there are varying opinions about whether or not this is
» acceptable in 2009 when FUE is showing some great results with minimal dot
» scarring.
»

This is a photo of my strip scar with Dr. Armani. I do agree it is a good strip scar, but it does prevent me from keeping my hair shorter in the back :frowning:

My father also mentioned to me it is noticebale when my hair is wet from coming out of the lake. Of course he knows it is there so it may be more noticeable to him.

WTF is “donor farming?”

Getting 100% of the donor transplanted and getting no scarring? Those are both myths. MYTHS.

Of course transplanting 100% of your donor hair wouldn’t make sense.

I have read that a few of the FUE doctors have claimed to successfully perform “donor farming”. I believe Dr Cole and Dr Arvind have. People are claiming in this thread that FUE has a limitation in how many donor hairs can be transplanted before appearing thin (donor area).

“donor farming” is filling in those donor extracted holes with body hair. This way you can remove a lot more good quality donor scalp hair. Also, by filling in those holes, you completely camouflage any sign of scarring. If this is as claimed, do you see the potential?

Still, that was just an example of how its time that FUE doctors step it up a notch.