Follicular miniaturization... A harsh reality. Hairtech

Miniaturization in male pattern baldness is harsh in terms of the process by which hairloss occurs. Aside from disease processes, accelerated hairloss due to chemical or radiation treatment, hairloss follows a distinct pattern. Hair does not just… “fall out”. It is a process seen microscopically as a decrease shaft caliber followed by a shedding. Not only are the follicles becoming terminal… gradually getting shorter and shorter in length over time… there is a marked decrease in the shaft caliber. Large follicular groups, i.e. 4’s… become 3’s, then 2’s then 1’s… then 0. At the same time, the shaft thickness is shrinking. It is obvious of the overall effect when thousands of these follicles are undergoing this change.

Below depicts two pictures from the same patient which clearly provides a look into this harsh reality.

Very good stuff hairtech. Thanks. I intend to share these pics with a few folks.

Many docs look for this confirmation in their physical examination of the scalp to support their formal diagnosis of MPB, especially in the early stages, and notably so in the patients with diffused thinning. Patients with a diffused thinning pattern are in fact losing hair shaft diameter within that zone.

Thank you Benji. Share it with anyone you like. Copy and post it on other sites.

Can propecia and/or dutasteride help miniaturization…? Question is posed for anyone to answer…

» Miniaturization in male pattern baldness is harsh in terms of the process
» by which hairloss occurs. Aside from disease processes, accelerated
» hairloss due to chemical or radiation treatment, hairloss follows a
» distinct pattern. Hair does not just… “fall out”. It is a process seen
» microscopically as a decrease shaft caliber followed by a shedding. Not
» only are the follicles becoming terminal… gradually getting shorter and
» shorter in length over time… there is a marked decrease in the shaft
» caliber. Large follicular groups, i.e. 4’s… become 3’s, then 2’s then
» 1’s… then 0. At the same time, the shaft thickness is shrinking. It is
» obvious of the overall effect when thousands of these follicles are
» undergoing this change.
»
» Below depicts two pictures from the same patient which clearly provides a
» look into this harsh reality.
»
»

Excellent information !
I would like to point out that FUE docs have the advantage of cherry picking the most healthy grafts, no problem.

If the picture on the left was in the donor area… I don’t know if “cherry picking” would be advisable. Diffuse miniaturization would cause for concern in my opinion. Nevertheless, I agree with you Bverotti, FUE provides an option of selection of grafts.:slight_smile: