Follica - I thought they were dead -

Follica Announces Poster Presentation Demonstrating Unmet Treatment Needs in Androgenetic Alopecia — Follica (follicabio.com)

What happened to phase 3? Was it completed. Can’t find any information on their website? 46% new growth! Hard to believe them!

“a biotechnology company developing a regenerative platform”?

Follica has been in existence since 2007 and they’re still “developing” a “platform”?

And the best thing they can produce to date is a “Poster Presentation”??

Phase 3 starts 2022. I read somewhere 46% growth.

Can you remember where they posted that for us? And is that 46% of people grew some hair, or a small amount of people regrew 46% of their hair?

It seems to me if they got those results they’d publish that statistic on the site at the link you posted. They have a lot of different stats on there, so why not that one?

I was mistaken…Here is what I read on their website…
hat trial was designed to select the optimal treatment regimen using Follica’s proprietary HFN device in combination with a topical drug and successfully met its primary endpoint. The selected treatment regimen demonstrated a statistically significant 44% improvement of visible (non-vellus) hair count after three months of treatment compared to baseline (p < 0.001, n = 19). Across all three treatment arms, the overall improvement of visible (non-vellus) hair count after three months of treatment was 29% compared to baseline (p < 0.001, n = 48), reflecting a clinical benefit across the entire trial population and a substantially improved outcome with the optimal treatment regimen. Additionally, a prespecified analysis comparing the 44% change in visible (non-vellus) hair count to a 12% historical benchmark set by approved pharmaceutical products established statistical significance (p = 0.005).

Follica is trying to sell a treatment that uses a “device” to prick the scalp, like a dermaroller. It’s based on a paper by Dr George Cotsarelis. He patented that idea and licensed it to Follica around the early 2000s. The problem for them is that it’s no different from just buying a dermaroller and rogaine and using that combination, which many people are already doing. Dermarollers have become hugely popular, all you have to do is look at Hairliciously’s videos and you’ll see lots of people who used dermarollers and combinations of drugs, rogaine, finasteride, and many have had really good results.

There is nothing their “device” will be able to do that a dermaroller plus finasteride and rogaine won’t do for most people. Not unless they come up with some new miracle drug, so essentially they’ve been searching for such a candidate drug for over 15 years. It all boils down to finding a drug then, their “device” is just a distraction and a prop to attract attention and be able to sell (in the future). But their device CAN’T do anything a dermaroller can’t do because tiny holes in the scalp are just tiny holes in the scalp, they can’t patent a concept that anyone can do.

If they do come up with a miracle drug (doubtful after 15+ years of stagnation), then the benefit of Follica won’t be the device, it’ll be the drug.

If they had such a candidate drug they’d be announcing it, screaming about it from the rooftops, and we’d all be hearing about high profile FDA clinical trials. Device or no device, the DRUG itself will have to be tested for safety and efficacy, and that will take the usual 10 years. If they already had this miracle drug the focus of Follica’s daily PR would be the drug, not the device. Everybody on this forum would know the name of the drug.

Since they’re still heavily touting the device, that tells me the drug research has produced nothing promising to date.