Follica: Epilation vs Depilation

I’ve been a proponent of waxing and also recommended it to Baccy for his Follica experiment. I’ve been reading up on the hair removal and found that Epilation actually means hair removal methods that remove hair from the root i.e. Braun epilators, waxing, sugaring etc and in Depilation only the visible hair is removed i.e. shaving, Nair cream etc.

The Follica patent specifically mentions Depilation (which is shaving, Nair cream etc), which is weired because these methods just remove hair from top so they shouldn’t result in 7-11 fold increase in hair growth - as mentioned in the patent. What do you guys think. Is it a mistake on Follica’s part? Did Baccy’s second experiment not produce any result because he waxed his hair which he did Not do in the first experiment.

If this is a mistake on Follica’s part, wouldn’t that render their patent useless? because now anyone can wax existing hair and then follow through with follica’s patent thus creating new hair But bypassing the law?

if one depilates three days beforeheand, the hairs that have been pulled out will be in anagen at the correct time, giving off anagen signals at the correct time, while new hairs are being formed on top of the skin by the kt-stem cells

I assure you they didn’t make a mistake.

Depilation isn’t supposed to take place before the usage of tca peels though (according to the bottles), because of potential damage to the skin. That is a concern for their usage with depilation.

I’ve been shaving my head everyday since last Christmas,when I plucked up the courage to do it.
I also use propecia,which I’ve been using for a couple of years,not much regrowth.
I started using Spectral DMC-L six months ago.I’ve had a bit of regrowth,not a lot but a little bit of hair,which is more of a shadow,due to shaving.It also feels rougher.

What are you saying this is down to shaving or Spectral DNC-L,or a combination.

» if one depilates three days beforeheand, the hairs that have been pulled
» out will be in anagen at the correct time, giving off anagen signals at the
» correct time, while new hairs are being formed on top of the skin by the
» kt-stem cells

You missed the point of my post. Look at wikipedia for depilation & epilation, according to it (and few other websites) there is a difference between the two - which I mentioned in my original post. That’s what I was getting at, depilation means just shaving or removing the visible hair NOT removing the hair by the root. Since hair only goes into anagen After Epilation, this means that either there is a mistake in patent application or we are missing something.

i re-read the patents first mouse example, and they indeed did just use nair…

they mention using wax-hair removal in other parts of the patent, which would remove the hair by the root, so its confusing.

I wonder why they added the data about results being better when depilation was performed three days beforehand though? thats mysterious.

Here is the patent language on it:

Table 3. Efficiency of HF formation by EDIHN in adult mice at various stages of the hair cycle.
  • The second telogen lasts approximately 40 days in mice. Thus, 14- week-old and 20- week-old mice contained a mixture of telogen and anagen HF.

To determinethe depilated mice exhibited enhanced EDIHN relative to the non-depilated mice depicted in the previous Example by a factor of 11-fold. whether experimental induction of anagen increased the efficiency of EDIHN, 8-week-old mice were depilated several days prior to wound induction. As depicted in Figure 19, the wounds closed similarly whether or not they were preceded by depilation. As depicted in Figure 20A- B,

The findings of this Example demonstrate that anagen induction enhances EDIHN. In addition, these findings show that EDIHN is capable of not only forming new HF, but also of activating anagen in pre-existing HF in the telogen stage.

I thought this stuff was accomplished by waxing the mice, (pulling out existing hairs), so they’d be in anagen several days later while the new hairs were forming around them and in-between them. Who knows. Nair wouldn’t accomplish that. It would have to be waxing…