Follica article

I visited there website, and they have links to a few articles about them…here is one.

Is There A New Cure For Baldness On The Horizon?
Steve Peterson

Steve Peterson is the owner of the hot new family website, homeandfamily101.com

PetersonCopy.com

author’s email

author’s web site

view author’s other articles

Join this author’s mailing list

Your Name:

E-mail Address:

Steve Peterson
May 25, 2007
Tens of millions of people around the world suffer from baldness or thinning hair.

And while there have been numerous developments and treatments for people who suffer from baldness, there hasn’t been that one miracle cure that works for everyone.

However, that may be about to change.

According to research, published in the journal Nature, “mice with deep skin wounds can grow new hair,” scientists said in a finding that offers real hope for a baldness remedy for humans. The mice regenerated hair at the site of the wound via molecular processes similar to those used in embryonic development.

The findings are a real scientific breakthrough, because they prove mammals possess greater regenerative abilities than previously believed.

Dr. George Cotsarelis, a dermatology professor at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in Philadelphia who led the study, said the findings dispel the long held notion that hair loss is permanent in people and other mammals, and that once they are lost new hair follicles cannot grow.

The theory behind the study would be to apply compounds to get epidermal cells to turn into hair follicles. This means there is a real possibility for a remedy for male-pattern baldness and other types of hair-loss.

During the study, scientists made relatively large wounds on the backs of adult mice, and discovered that if a wound reached a certain size new hairs formed at its center, with the skin undergoing changes mimicking stages of embryonic hair-follicle development.

Cotsarelis, who is associated with Follica Inc., the company that has licensed the patent on the process from the University of Pennsylvania, said it probably would be five years or before a treatment that was proven safe for humans was possible.

However, Dr. Cheng-Ming Chuong, a professor of pathology at the University of Southern California who was not involved in the study, was not so optimistic. He said, "while the study was promising, it’s important to bear in mind that human skin differs from mouse skin.

“Repair and regeneration appear to be in direct competition,” Chuong said.

"It’s a fact, fast-closing wounds help the survival of wild animals, repair often dominates regeneration.

However, in the practice of real world medicine, physicians are trained to close wounds as soon as possible, thereby not leaving enough time for regeneration to occur."

So what does all of this mean?

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Guys, maybe its just me but couldn’t they at least try this on some dude’s shoulder (couple of “deep” wounds) and apply wnt protiens and see if a hair pops up before forming a whole company based on a mouse discovery? That professor of pathology at USC is right…we have seen virtual cures of baldness with mice. Minoxidil, copper peptides, barley and apple and grapeseed proanthocyandins all have super-trichotic effects on mice despite the fact that they cannot re-engineer full heads of hair on humans.

I wonder…I sure would like to see a little human info just to prove the concept in humans being before getting too excited.

» Guys, maybe its just me but couldn’t they at least try this on some dude’s
» shoulder (couple of “deep” wounds) and apply wnt protiens and see if a hair
» pops up before forming a whole company based on a mouse discovery? That
» professor of pathology at USC is right…we have seen
» virtual cures of baldness with mice. Minoxidil, copper peptides, barley
» and apple and grapeseed proanthocyandins all have super-trichotic effects
» on mice despite the fact that they cannot re-engineer full heads of hair
» on humans.

I agree…the research is all great…but I really cant see why some of these trials take soooooo long…I know of the Thalimide fiasco back in the 60’s…but still…

anyways…if wound healing would regenerate hair…wouldnt the hair that would grow still be non-resistant to DHT and fall out again anyways ???

»
» anyways…if wound healing would regenerate hair…wouldnt the hair
» that would grow still be non-resistant to DHT and fall out again anyways
» ???

Thats exactly what Im thinking/worried about. I have asked a couple of folks over in the transplant forum about whether this could be done in the FUE-holes in the back of the head in that surgery and whether or not these holes can be allowed to naturally heal with no pillow contanct and no shampooing for a few days so that they heal like they would “in nature”. Ive read over the years a handfull of claims of great hair regrowth after car accidents and a few stories about accupunture that once in a while have suprising results and of course was set to wondering if Follica’s research could transmit to human success.

Whatever the faults or success with Follica, its undeniable that this is a real company with a real website with real financial backing with big-time scientists on its staff. Their website was impressive. Stenn and Costarialis are invovled as advisers but a none Daphne Zohar seems to be the head honcho behind alot of this. It seems the hair follicle is the “skin regeneration center” in people. Perhpas this is why hairless areas on the body (bereft of even vellus hairs) like your palms and feet tend to age quicker? Its interesting. I hope it works in us…maybe even like the rabbits fifty years ago that didnt need Wnt protiens applied. I’d like to see it looked into, but am accustomed to dissapiontment when it comes to mice hair. :expressionless:

I read reports of Acupuncture regrowing hair as well.
It’s very effective for stress relief but I think any hair growth gained from acupuncture is purely coincidental. A TCM doc that I was seeing years ago flat out denied that acupuncture or Chinese medicine could stop hairloss.
It’s hard to believe that the day will come when hairloss will be cured & all these never ending theories for a cure will cease.