Fake minoxidil

hi,

my name is alex, i´m coming from austria/europe and i´m suffering from hair loss since i´m 19 (now i´m 24)

last year after mostly all hairs were gone ( no baldness but in my teenage days i had extremely full and curly hairs)i realized that minoxidil helped perfectly.
the only problem was that i needed 12 bottles in one month which wasn´t that bad because kirkland minox from ebay is affordable. i was willing to buy month for month 12 bottles but after month the hair fell out again. at first i thought that maybe it was because of a broken leg and i couldn´t do my sports and so on but in february this year ( i was really down) i tried a quite recommended european store. and the hair began to grow again :slight_smile: but after one month i had to get a new order… the hair loss began again.

now i have about 30 bottles minox at home, if think the kirklands i have from ebay.com (two different sellers) are all fake, the spectral dhc from europe are the same. i have also a few regaine bottles from ebay which are good (apart that in one bottle there is from my point of view not even alcohol but water inside…) and a 15% minox from ebay which is also no fake.

So the reason why i came here: Do you know an internet shop which is highly recommended for selling true minoxidil? and do you know a method to test if there really is minoxidil inside because i don´t want to test i out anymore? i´m not a chemist but i don´t have two left hands :slight_smile:

if you have further questions please ask!

thank you very much

alex

» now i have about 30 bottles minox at home, if think the kirklands i have
» from ebay.com (two different sellers) are all fake, the spectral dhc from
» europe are the same. i have also a few regaine bottles from ebay which are
» good (apart that in one bottle there is from my point of view not even
» alcohol but water inside…) and a 15% minox from ebay which is also no
» fake.
»
» So the reason why i came here: Do you know an internet shop which is highly
» recommended for selling true minoxidil? and do you know a method to test if
» there really is minoxidil inside because i don´t want to test i out
» anymore? i´m not a chemist but i don´t have two left hands :slight_smile:

Minoxidil is not very soluble in water, which is why they add alcohol and propylene glycol. If you put a dropper full of minoxidil and a dropper of water in a clear glass and mix it well, after the swirling of the mix of water and glycol dies down, you should see a little cloudiness or even a white precipitate from the minoxidil coming out of solution. It is barely noticable, but if you compare known good minoxidil and bad minoxidil side by side this way, you can see the difference.

» Minoxidil is not very soluble in water, which is why they add alcohol and
» propylene glycol. If you put a dropper full of minoxidil and a dropper of
» water in a clear glass and mix it well, after the swirling of the mix of
» water and glycol dies down, you should see a little cloudiness or even a
» white precipitate from the minoxidil coming out of solution. It is barely
» noticable, but if you compare known good minoxidil and bad minoxidil side
» by side this way, you can see the difference.

Also, you might still get a clear liquid with what look like bubbles on the glass after about an hour, and if you pour the liquid off, you will see little crystals formed on the bottom of the glass. Now, there’s probably a way to fake the precipitate or crystals, but if its just alcohol and propylene glycol to fake the look and feel, this test should work.