Enrique Iglesias – Hairpiece or Hair Transplant?

In my role as a hair replacement medical professional, I often get asked questions about hollywood celebrities or pop stars who look suspiciously like they have had a hair transplant, or are wearing a hairpiece.

There are of course all the usual high profile suspects who have to a greater or lesser extent become confirmed as being thin on top, and have done something about it.

The likes of John Travolta, Ted Danson, Elton John, Axl Rose, Wayne Rooney, William Shatner, Joe Pesci, Jeremy Piven, Sean Connery, David Lee Roth, Steve Seagal and Ric Ocasek, are all “out of the closet” so to speak in terms of their hair loss, and their efforts to hide the fact, at least for some of the time.

There are many many more celebrities with hairpieces and hair-transplants of course, especially for the older male celebrities, and when you consider that up to 40% of all men have some cosmetically noticeable level of male pattern hair loss by the age of 35, then perhaps we can better understand the extent of this disfigurement for so many male (and female, but that’s another story) celebrities around the world.

The celebrity however that I get asked this question about above all others is Enrique Iglesias, Hispanic American pop star and all round ladies man.

“Is Enrique Iglesias losing his hair?”, is the question that I get asked the most, given that he is so often seen wearing a baseball cap.

Almost as frequently I get asked; “Is Enrique Iglesias wearing a hairpiece or did he have a hair transplant?”.

The answer to these questions, at least for those in the hair loss industry is a very straight-forward and obvious one.

For starters, the lineage of Enrique Iglesias, being the son of another male celebrity who also lost his hair young (and had a bad hair transplant in response), raised the risks significantly that Enrique would have suffered the same genetic fate.

Depending on his mother’s paternal pre-disposition, the “genetic-dose” of Enrique could have become double-barrelled, bringing his hair loss forward and perhaps to a greater degree than even his father would have suffered at the same age.

Given that Julio Iglesias (Enrique’s father), was already in the initial throws of male pattern baldness by his late twenties, hidden for many years by strategic hair styles and the use of concealers, it is very plausible, and in fact quite likely that Enrique’s hair loss is already quite advanced.

Given that Enrique had only recently celebrated his 36th birthday, and on the balance of probability given his genetic loading , I would strongly suspect that Enrique’s hair loss, according to the Hamilton-Norwood scale, would be rated along the lines of a Type IV.

This level of hair loss includes loss both at the anterior (front by a receding hairline), and the vertex (typically manifesting as a progressive thinning with an increasing diameter around the crown).

My educated guess is in part supported by the numerous photos I have seen of Enrique recently, which have the tell-tale signs of a “moving” hairline, sometimes revealing a significantly higher forehead, other times much smaller. This apparent movement of the hairline is a distinct indicator that Enrique wears a hairpiece, at least for frontal coverage.

I am quite certain that Enrique does not have a hair-transplant, or if he did it is hidden underneath the hairpiece.

You see Enrique, like the vast majority of early-balders, is simply not a good candidate for a hair-transplant. Not only has he already got extensive hair-loss at the front and brown, but his hair loss will continue well into his late fifties, so any hair-transplant would only last a matter of 5 or so years, if it was any good to begin with.

Early balders also typically do not have good donor hair for sufficient coverage in a hair-transplant. Not only is their remaining horse-shoe hair much much thinner, but it often does not “take”, when transplanted.

Read the full article at:Hair-Wise.com

Dr Brandon Miles
http://www.hair-wise.com