Dutasteride improves male pattern hairloss in a study in identical twins

Dutasteride improves male pattern hair loss in a randomized study in identical twins.

J Cosmet Dermatol. 2007 Mar;6(1):9-13

OBJECTIVES:
This study compared the efficacy of dutasteride vs. placebo in the treatment of male pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia) in 17 pairs of identical twin males with androgenetic alopecia over a 1-year period.

METHODS:
In this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, single-center study, one twin from each identical twin pair received dutasteride 0.5 mg/day for 12 months while the other received placebo for 12 months. Hair growth was evaluated using standardized clinical photographs, hair counts, and patient self-assessment questionnaires.

RESULT:
Dutasteride significantly improved hair growth at 1-year compared to placebo based on the analysis of the investigator assessment and the patient self-assessment questionnaires. Sixteen of 17 sets of twins completed the study, of which 15 sets correctly predicted the use of dutasteride. Only one set could not determine the active drug from the placebo.

CONCLUSION:
Through the use of identical twins, this randomized trial provides evidence that dutasteride significantly reduces hair loss progression in men with male pattern hair loss.

And the miracle is still that in all these studies upon dut, we never hear of adverse cases of shedding, frontal or other. It seems that only posters of this site are affected.

» And the miracle is still that in all these studies upon dut, we never hear
» of adverse cases of shedding, frontal or other. It seems that only posters
» of this site are affected.

Not just this site, but ALL sites! Funny how there’s not so much as a single word about “shedding” and “this drug destroyed my hairline!” in finasteride and dutasteride studies! :slight_smile:

» » And the miracle is still that in all these studies upon dut, we never
» hear
» » of adverse cases of shedding, frontal or other. It seems that only
» posters
» » of this site are affected.
»
» Not just this site, but ALL sites! Funny how there’s not so much as a
» single word about “shedding” and “this drug destroyed my hairline!” in
» finasteride and dutasteride studies! :slight_smile:
»

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. At more than 8 weeks, in fact nearing 10, I have not yet gone through any significant shed, but have a lot of hair coming in at the temples. The only problem with the hair is it’s basically really thin and invisible. In real terms, then, the regrowth has done nothing real for my hairline. But I guess I have to believe a) if it’s working to regrow hair from follicles that had gone dormant, it must also be preserving hair that is still there and b) the regrowing hair might “convert” and become thicker and regular.

The nicest part of the experiment so far is that my scalp itch is entirely gone. It stopped completely around the same time I switched to topical dutasteride.

Guess you’re aware that minox may make this new hair thicker. Use it…