Dutasteride (Avodart) and Ketokonazol (Nizoral) Interaction?

What is the interaction concerns with these two drugs? Ketokonazol is listed as a drug that can interact with Dutasteride.

» What is the interaction concerns with these two drugs? Ketokonazol is
» listed as a drug that can interact with Dutasteride.

fckhrls explain wut u mean “interact”… working together or against eachother? Is interacting a good thing or bad thing? I may be able to answer this for you.

» » What is the interaction concerns with these two drugs? Ketokonazol is
» » listed as a drug that can interact with Dutasteride.
»
» fckhrls explain wut u mean “interact”… working together or against
» eachother? Is interacting a good thing or bad thing? I may be able to
» answer this for you.

As in interacting in a bad way. Not, “it makes your hair fall out” bad, but “it causes x effects to x systems in your body which could lead to a y result that might end up killing you”. For example, interact like taking antidepressants and alcohol can kill you. I have found that ketoconazol has a number of interaction warning with all sorts of things that one might normally take.

I saw this a long time ago but never understand what they are trying to say, now that you brought this up, here’s what I copied form

ketoconazole ⇔ dutasteride

Moderate Drug Interaction

Applies to: Nizoral (ketoconazole) and Avodart (dutasteride)

MONITOR: Based on in vitro data, the coadministration with drugs that are inhibitors of the CYP450 3A4 enzymatic pathway may increase the plasma concentrations of dutasteride, which is metabolized by this isoenzyme. No clinical drug interaction studies have been conducted. However, a population pharmacokinetic analysis found decreased clearance of dutasteride when it is coadministered with the CYP450 3A4 inhibitors, verapamil and diltiazem (37% and 44%, respectively). In contrast, no decrease in dutasteride clearance was seen during coadministration with amlodipine, a calcium channel blocker that is not a CYP450 3A4 inhibitor.

MANAGEMENT: The possibility of prolonged and/or increased pharmacologic effects of dutasteride should be considered during chronic, concomitant therapy with CYP450 3A4 inhibitors, particularly potent inhibitors such as ketoconazole, itraconazole, ritonavir, nefazodone and erythromycin.

nice thorough explanation. and yes there is an interaction between keto and dut. ipod posted a nice site confirming this as well. i always remembered in the back of my mind that there is an “interaction” between the two, but never really knew what it meant and knew many people used the two together.

i’m using the two together and i suffered the worst shed ever including my 5 month transplanted hairs to fall out at large numbers. this is why i havent been so active here lately, it’s taking a great toll on me mentally as i have no idea if they will regrow and why it happened.

maybe this interaction had something to do with it, i dont know.

» » » What is the interaction concerns with these two drugs? Ketokonazol is
» » » listed as a drug that can interact with Dutasteride.
» »
» » fckhrls explain wut u mean “interact”… working together or against
» » eachother? Is interacting a good thing or bad thing? I may be able to
» » answer this for you.
»
» As in interacting in a bad way. Not, “it makes your hair fall out” bad,
» but “it causes x effects to x systems in your body which could lead to a y
» result that might end up killing you”. For example, interact like taking
» antidepressants and alcohol can kill you. I have found that ketoconazol
» has a number of interaction warning with all sorts of things that one might
» normally take.

» I saw this a long time ago but never understand what they are trying to
» say, now that you brought this up, here’s what I copied form
»
» Avodart and Nizoral Interactions Checker - Drugs.com
»
»
» ketoconazole ⇔ dutasteride
»
» Moderate Drug Interaction
»
» Applies to: Nizoral (ketoconazole) and Avodart (dutasteride)
»
»
» MONITOR: Based on in vitro data, the coadministration with drugs that are
» inhibitors of the CYP450 3A4 enzymatic pathway may increase the plasma
» concentrations of dutasteride, which is metabolized by this isoenzyme. No
» clinical drug interaction studies have been conducted. However, a
» population pharmacokinetic analysis found decreased clearance of
» dutasteride when it is coadministered with the CYP450 3A4 inhibitors,
» verapamil and diltiazem (37% and 44%, respectively). In contrast, no
» decrease in dutasteride clearance was seen during coadministration with
» amlodipine, a calcium channel blocker that is not a CYP450 3A4 inhibitor.
»
» MANAGEMENT: The possibility of prolonged and/or increased pharmacologic
» effects of dutasteride should be considered during chronic, concomitant
» therapy with CYP450 3A4 inhibitors, particularly potent inhibitors such as
» ketoconazole, itraconazole, ritonavir, nefazodone and erythromycin.

I think its saying that ketoconazole can lead to more absorption of Dut in the system than would otherwise be expelled. So, in effect, a .5 mg dose would be like taking a 1 or more mg dose if used with keto. But I’m not a scientist. Maybe Benji can translate.

If you don’t know what these terms mean, you have no business taking this stuff.

» If you don’t know what these terms mean, you have no business taking this
» stuff.

unless you are taking internal ketoconazole, you should have no problem with only using topical nizoral. Its never bothered me at all, and Ive been using it for years.

Keto will inhibit androgen receptor binding to a degree, so if you took keto internally along with dutasteride, you’d have some anti-androgenic issues because you would not only have very little circulating dht, but also much of your testosterone (and androstenidione, DHEA, DHEAS) wouldn’t be binding to your receptor sites throughout your body either. Topically applied ketoconazole apparently gets metabolized in the skin and doesnt go systemic in any large degree. Bryan has mentioned this in the past. I wouldn’t expect any noticeable sides from using nizoral. Ive never had any with it.

MONITOR: Based on in vitro data, the coadministration with drugs that are
» inhibitors of the CYP450 3A4 enzymatic pathway may increase the plasma
» concentrations of dutasteride, which is metabolized by this isoenzyme. No
» clinical drug interaction studies have been conducted. However, a
» population pharmacokinetic analysis found decreased clearance of
» dutasteride when it is coadministered with the CYP450 3A4 inhibitors,
» verapamil and diltiazem (37% and 44%, respectively). In contrast, no
» decrease in dutasteride clearance was seen during coadministration with
» amlodipine, a calcium channel blocker that is not a CYP450 3A4 inhibitor.
»
» MANAGEMENT: The possibility of prolonged and/or increased pharmacologic
» effects of dutasteride should be considered during chronic, concomitant
» therapy with CYP450 3A4 inhibitors, particularly potent inhibitors such as
» ketoconazole, itraconazole, ritonavir, nefazodone and erythromycin.

I think its saying that ketoconazole can lead to more absorption of Dut in the system than would otherwise be expelled. So, in effect, a .5 mg dose would be like taking a 1 or more mg dose if used with keto. But I’m not a scientist. Maybe Benji can translate.

Hey, if the above is the case.................then nizoral might make the dutasteride even MORE effective in your scalp. This is a feature, not a bug:-)